.17 HMR

webber

No Webber I don't believe it is.

The .17 HMR is a rimfire cartridge not much different in size from .22lr but necked down to take a .17 bullet.

.17 Rem is a centrefire cartridge with a case the same size as .223 but, again, necked down to take a .17 projectile.

The chap that first introduced me to fox shooting uses a .17 centre and is incredibly good with it, but his 'thing' is small calibre rifles and fiddling around with home loads. When I applied for .17 centre for foxes I was turned down as the local Firearms dept do not deem it to be a suitable calibre, in hindsight I am pleased that they recommended .223 as they seem much more predictable than the smaller calibre and less prone to premature break - up. On the other side of the coin, due to its small size and high speed, if you want a bullet guaranteed to breakup with absolutley no chance of ricochet .17 centre is the thing.

M

Thanks Pike.

I was looking at the Sako web site as I fancy a .17 HMR, but couldnt see it listed, but did see the .17 REM. I therefore wondered if different terminology was being used.

Looks like I need to contact GMK.

Many thanks

webber

Webber I am no expert and am just learning like you. I do think .17 Rem and .17 HMR are the same thing. Here my thinking:

- HMR = Hornady Magnum Rimfire (WMR = Winchester Magnum Rimfire)

- .17 Rem (Reminton design, 1st to bore the rifle to .17 HMR size) What I don't know did Rem' and Hornady work on this together or was one or the other a leader?? Hopefully someone else will fill in the caps.

Thats my thinking. Don't worry, if I'm wrong someone will be sure to shoot my boots of. Watch this space :rolleyes:

Webber let me know what you pay for the .17 HMR Sako. I to am thinking or a .17 later this year and looked this week at the Sako Quad on their www. This way I could buy the .17 and later maybe the .22 mag for heavier kills. The Ruger 10/22 I beleive would also give this option at a cheaper price but Sako look good. Currently I have a .22LR Ruger AW :rolleyes:

Big Dog

Ive just been on a couple of US web sites, very interesting.

Single barrel option any of the four calibre options MRP $948

Combination kit, All 4 barrels MRP $1739

Maybe I'm being synical, but why do I expect Dollars to get converted into pounds one the rifle eventually gets to the UK.

I wonder how we make a case to the FLO that we need all 4. It would be a pity to break up a set, wouldnt it!

I fitted a Leupold V111 with illuminated reticule to my Sako Finfire, and would probably do the same again, although I would like to try a night sight.

webber

Webber let me know what you pay for the .17 HMR Sako. I to am thinking or a .17 later this year and looked this week at the Sako Quad on their www. This way I could buy the .17 and later maybe the .22 mag for heavier kills. The Ruger 10/22 I beleive would also give this option at a cheaper price but Sako look good. Currently I have a .22LR Ruger AW :lol:

Told you weber if I was wrong someone would shoot my boot off. Getting something wrong is one way of getting to the truth :wacko:

I was on a busy street in London years ago and there was 100s of shops signs up on the wall outside. This guy had a sign outside saying " Good quallity Goats for sale". Everyone was stopping and going in and telling him he had made a mistake with his sign. So I went in and ask him why he did it. He said if he had said "....Coats for sale, no one would have noticed it among the 100s of other signs. He said that the best way to get attention was to make an error and people would pick it up come into your shop tell him and then often look at the coats he was selling. From the 10 minutes I watched it sure worked.

Now we both know the truth

Thanks to all

:lol::lol:

He said that the best way to get attention was to make an error and people would pick it up come into your shop tell him and then often look at the coats he was selling. From the 10 minutes I watched it sure worked.

Thats so true, I've seen it happen myself.