Lousy hide poles.

Cranfield

I have mentioned before my useless, height adjustable, hide poles.

They have a nylon "washer" in the base of the top section and when the pole gets loose, you pull the top section out of the bottom section, tighten a phillips screw in the base, which expands the washer,then force the top section back into the bottom section and it makes it tight again.

This is the stupidest design I have ever seen.

I was a complete idiot to ever buy these, but I needed poles urgently and these were the only ones my local shop had.

One consolation, is that ernyha has the same terrible poles.   :D

I have been shooting every day this week and they have got loose again......suprise, suprise. :crazy:

Then a brainwave, rubber gromitts are the answer.

I went to my local car spares shop, clutching a hide pole and bought 2 grommits per pole.

Took the top section out and pushed the two grommits up to the top(1 is a spare).

Replaced it and today ,when I extended the pole, I just rolled the grommit down to the required "setting" and it held it perfectly.

No doubt, I will have to replace them from time to time, but at 5p each.....no problemo.

I do look forward to dumping these poles eventually, but I hate throwing things away, that I haven,t had my moneys worth from.

:what: Guess what Cranfield,I not only have the same poles as you but also wasted £25 on the same lightweight net as you but mine doesn,t even have the 1/2 moon cut outs in.Like your idea about the grommets on the poles,same as i did with the elastic bands.Touch wood though, my poles have been O.K. since I re-tightened them last year. :crazy:

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...