Start softly or firmly with my new ESS?

JONO

Hi all,

I took charge of an 18 month year old Springer from a great working line. The previous owner worked away a lot and so didn't have the time to put into the dog and moved it on to myself and my lass.

The dog has a lovely affectionate nature mixed in with the typical ESS enthusiasm and inquisitiveness - not a hard male at all.

He has the grasp of sit, stay, returning when called; has a huge amount of natural hunting talent and almost quarters naturally - great nose on him and I just want to do right by the dog and the previous owner in giving him a great home and bring out his potential.

I don't want to be too serious when its only day two - he's got to adjust to a new home, new boss, new routines etc but thats conflicting slightly with wanting to set certain boundaries and show consistency with a view to starting training properly in the next month or two.

We walked him yesterday and things went OK - occasionally he ran on too far (beyond 40 yds) but generally sound. This morning he was doing OK for the largepart but he ran on to 60 yards on four occasions to chase crows off a rugby field. He turned on a couple of occasions prior to reaching them (to praise) and pursued on the other two - both of which I took him gently by the scruff to the spot where the crows were and said "NO, LEAVE". I have no doubt that if he encountered a rabbit he'd bolt after it - something I just won't accept, for his own safety.

My gut instinct is to get him on to the stop whistle but its still very early days so what would you guys recommend when he needs to settle in, needs the decent exercise all Springers do and stil not spoil him for when it comes to training once he's settled?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Jon:

Get started with the obediance program that is pinned at the top of the GunDog Forum. No sence in delaying and building bad habits that will need to be untrained, so that you can retrain.

As far as his exercise goes, take him out on a drag line so that you have control over him. This way you will not be yelling commands at him that he doesn't understand and teaching him to ignor them.

Remember if you cant control him beside you, you can not control him 40 yards out. Take your time and get your obediance correct as it is the foundation for all your additional training.

If you have questions concerning particular excersises let me know.

NTTF

I took on my dog (bitch actually!) in Jan & a dog handler friend (ex force) told me to not allow anyone to handle her for the first two weeks in order that she could see me as pack leader. Even now she will come straight to me & ignores the wife kids etc. He also told me to only apply walking to heal during this period & no formal training.