Blinded by sales talk

feather

I have been reading with interest, and I might say with a smile on my face, the comments regarding the modern shooter and their views on today's cartridge. Have we all become victims of sales talk (science), in a nutshell plain old BS? I really think this is what's happening. Away back when I first started shooting, it was a case of getting what "carts" we could lay our hands on, and I will say with pride, some mighty fine shooting was done with them. Eley was the only ones on the market mostly with number 6 shot these being used on all game no matter what wad was in them. My Grandfather loaded his own carts and cut his own wads with a hammer and punch out of thick felt, and I might add he was an expert marksman in his day, known all over Norfolk for his clean kills, his services being called upon by taxidermists in London and Norwich. Not much science went into the cartridge in those days.

Best regards,

Feather.

you can, but the prices of modern day carts would mean i dont think you would be much cheaper unless you bought bulk components and loaded alot. but it really depends how much you value (litterally) your time, as i dont think the price would work out that much cheaper than buying

you can, but the prices of modern day carts would mean i dont think you would be much cheaper unless you bought bulk components and loaded alot. but it really depends how much you value (litterally) your time, as i dont think the price would work out that much cheaper than buying

You are right you need to be doing 1,000's to really see the saving. 30 years ago you could save a fortune now the saving is not so great, if a few of you club together and buy and load in bulk then you will save money. Given a good loading machine and having everything to hand a couple of you can load a 1,000 or more in an evening.

Where good savings can be made is on the larger gauges and ofcourse the "obsolete" size cartridges. I save £'s on the eight's but they are all loaded by hand and take much longer.

Where reloading comes into its own is when you reload expensive shells such as 10g or 12g with bismuth.

Anyone who did a lot of wildfowling, such as a wildfowling club would save a lot of money by rolling their own. But as has been said with the low cost of buying in bulk you would never really come out on top unless you were prepared to spend hours loading thousands of shells.

And remember, you couldn’t sell them to your mates as it would be illegal without the correct licences, so you couldn’t really get much value for money out of reloading your own.

G.M.

I agree with Gemini, reloading wildfowling loads can save you a fortune. I can reload a 3.5" hevi Shot shell for a 3rd of the price of a factory shell. Not only that but it will perform to the spec that I want it to, you also have so much more flexability. In the UK there are pressure regulations which restrict factory loaded ammo. This means for instance that steel can only be bought in a relatavely slow load. In the US, where there is no such regulation it has been discovered that where steel is concerned speed kills! and the advances of FAST steel has made it a very effective alternative. With a reloader I can load fast steel that I can't buy. :o

It has also been said that due to the chinese buying up large amounts of lead for their industrial boom the price will slowly soar over the next few years. I'm glad me and my mates bought 14 stone of lead no3's off Ebay for a 3rd of the current market price, that should keep us going. :rolleyes:

Mark.

I have been reading with interest, and I might say with a smile on my face, the comments regarding the modern shooter and their views on today's cartridge. Have we all become victims of sales talk (science), in a nutshell plain old BS? I really think this is what's happening. Away back when I first started shooting, it was a case of getting what "carts" we could lay our hands on, and I will say with pride, some mighty fine shooting was done with them. Eley was the only ones on the market mostly with number 6 shot these being used on all game no matter what wad was in them. My Grandfather loaded his own carts and cut his own wads with a hammer and punch out of thick felt, and I might add he was an expert marksman in his day, known all over Norfolk for his clean kills, his services being called upon by taxidermists in London and Norwich. Not much science went into the cartridge in those days.

Best regards,

Feather.

im a bit like that got allsorts.