Which 4x4 would you choose

CEREALTHRILLER

I'm thinking of trading in my Discovery and these are the cars I'm considering - they're all about the same price :D

2003/53 Mitsubishi shogun field 3.2 DID auto 53000mls

2001/51 Mercedes ML270 CDI TIP auto 47500mls

2003/03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD auto 49000mls

Do you own or have you owned any of them?

Whats your opinion?

Edited by CEREALTHRILLER

What about a Nissan Pathfinder?

I have an 05 SVE model with 37k on the clock. Paid a lot less than 10,000 for it, and it has tonnes of space, 7 seats, leather interior CD multichanger, leccy seats, mirrors, cruise control, climate and heated seats. The beauty of it you can drive it on the roads in RWD to improve the economy, or stick it auto or permanent 4WD. Also has high and low ratios.

Work and back I get 33mpg, and on a recent 600 mile trip to, around and then back from scotland I did a tank full to tankful calculation and got 36mpg!!!

Plent of space in the back for rifles, dogs, deer etc etc.

Put some AT's on it and it will go most places.

cheers

Stu

I have had all 3,

They will all do a reasonable job, it depends on how serious you want to off road..

Be carefull with the Mercedes, some are fitted with 275/55/17 on very wide rims, very difficult to get anything decent tyres wise for the muddy stuff.. An parts are expensive.

The Jeep is reasonable, de-value like a lead ballon, but easy to do most of the maintaince yourself bit thursty though.

Shogun .. Good reliable and solid not as refined as the Merc, it takes top honors there or the Jeep, but better off road, will hold it's value a bit better than the jeep too.

just my thoughts :D

Edited by Rascal

If it was down to me i would have the mitsubushi followed by the jeep. I wouldnt fancy one of those mercs for anything serious. I dont want to worry about ruining it. Ive seen one of those mitsubushi's used for hunting and it took alot of stick. :D

If it's any help I have an '03 Jeep Cherokee 3.7 petrol. It has a full Jeep service history and I paid £8900 for it from a Jeep dealer with 33,000 miles on it about 2 and a half years ago.

God knows what it's worth now, but I've put another 20,000 miles on it since then, it hasnt missed a beat. It still feels like a comfortable quality car, its fast enough to get me about, and I have 100% confidence in it. At 70mph on a motorway the engine is running at about 2000rpm. You can imagine, it's quiet and feels like its not working at all.

Only downside, it's pretty juicy, particularly around town, but still, I've driven it to Normandy twice, and use it daily, so it's not that bad :rolleyes:

The Jeeps are assembled in Austria, so the build quality is pretty good,and value for money-wise, I dont think it can be beat. When I was looking I considered a Mitsubishi too, and they are nice cars, but the Jeep offered much better value for money as far as I was concerned.

I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.