A rabbit preperation problem

percy282

Firstly, I'm new to the site and glad to be here. I'm a fogey (63) been shooting clays and rough for 40 years, but never ate any of the kill. Now using .22 rimfire to good effect on a couple of farms near Northallerton, accompanied by my 15 year old son who also fires .22 rimfire. We're about to start eating our rabbits and I don't have any problem with paunching, skinning or generally butchering them. I watched a 'youtube' video of a professional chef who suggested soaking them in salt water for 24 hours to get rid of blood and any bitterness.

And here's the problem.....when I take the pieces out of the salt water after 24 hours, they are covered in a gelatinous, jellyish coating which is quite difficult to get off.

I've read this is a membrane that has absorbed the water and thus swelled up.

Can anyone cast any further light on it ? Is it indeed necessary to soak the rabbit? Is there an easy way to get the coating off? Can I roast the rabbit with the coating on?

Any advice from the experts amongst you would be greatly appreciated as I'm anxious to make inroads into my freezer contents.

Thank you,

Percy

Firstly welcome to the site, hope you learn lots and share your experience with us too.

I will probably get shot down but all i do is give the "prepared" rabbit a wash under the tap, brown it and into the casserole or whatever it is being used for.

I would say it is a better idea to choose which ones you eat carefully and avoid anything which is difficult to skin as it will be old and tough to eat, save these for the dogs.

Young rabbit makes a gorgeous meal however it is cooked.

ATB

Badshot

Yes you can cook it with the membrane, im not sure how it goes after being in salt water but i can never get all the membrane off.

The more you skin rabbits the better you will get in comparison to how much is left on the meat, you just have to work it away along with the skin with your fingers.

But if you cook it with membrane still on, i doubt you will even notice it (if it is still there) after cooking

Dan

I have noticed this even on pigeon breasts, (i had them for tea tonight)

Before now I have spent ages getting it off, then I had an apifany,........ when you roast a chicken I all goes in the oven AND I love chicken skin....... OK its not the same but the principal is you eat the membrane, so I tried it tonight, cleaned off what was easy & left the rest......never noticed it..... hope you get the same result

turns out your local to me ..... good luck with your shooting, just ask if I can be of help

Ken

An older shooter once told me the membrane should be removed to improve the flavour. I have never been able to get it all off, so I stopped worrying about it.

Far more important to me is getting rid of the scent glands, first rabbit I cooked I left them in and the house reeked of it, and for my wife that has set the tone for dislike of rabbit which is proving hard to dial back out again.