Remy 700 VSSF

sussex lad

I,ve seen the light,

I thinking of trading my much loved AR15 .223 in for a remy 700 vssf in .223 !

Why ?

Its just to ****** heavy, great for the range or laying up and ambushing but you dont want carry it too far, all up it weighs about 14.5 lbs.

So do any of you guys shoot one , i've read the reviews and advertising bumpf but hands on opinons are what i really need to hear before i part with my baby!

Cheers

Brian...

A mates got one in .222 shoots well enough but the trigger is nasty single stage pile of poo ! Can they sweetened up at all?

My AR15 has a Jewel fully adjustable 2 stage beauty that trips at 2.5 lb .

With the remy i can put a replacement unit off the shelf and get a half descent trigger.

sussex lad,

I own one of these fine weapons in 223.

I bought it about six years ago. The first thing I did, with the first VSSF, was take it out of its stock when I got it home. I'm pleased I did. The alloy mountings were very rough. It turned out when I returned the gun to the reputable dealer I had bought it from,( and got a full refund !!) it was a grey import that had not come straight from America via Hull Cartridge ( who were the importers then ) It had come to England via some country in Europe. Please be aware of this.

The second VSSF I got was the genuine thing from America. After I had worked up a suitable handload I have been getting 1" consisitent groups at 200 yards. That will do for me. I have put 524 rounds through it, so far, and the accuracy is in no way diminishing. I am well pleased with it.

The only down side I can think of is the weight of it. It is a bit on the heavy side. I wouldn't like to think I was carrying it all day. I do tend to use this gun from a prone position or from a vehicle.

As regards the triggger. My friend smoothed it over a bit and it is a delight to fire. If you want to replace the trigger this can easily be done with a Timney or Jewell. I have seen no need to do that.

I hope this helps,

:wacko:

Hi Brian,

I had a Remmy VSSF in .22-250 for about 5 years, and apart from it being quite

heavy, I got on with it very well. In 5 years it never let me down, and accounted for quite a few Pennine foxes ! After the initial messing about with loads I finally settled it down and was very pleased with the accuracy.

Having said that........I now have a Tikka T3 in .243 and I love it ! The quality of manufacture is easy to see, and the out of box accuracy, even with factory loads

is brilliant.

No they are right i had to sell my .17 so i could get another one .17 same cal but different makes the gun shop i bought my gun from just gave me a bill of sale saying they had bought it.

then when my variation came through i went back and picked up new gun.

simple as that

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :wacko: :lol:;) :( :/:D:D

PS should of said it only took 4days for permit to come through.

mind i did drop it of at police HQ and pick up when ready.

Mike :*) :*)

Edited by hawkeye

Last year when I upgraded my .22 to one without dings or rust :wacko: I faced a similar problem. I was told that the turn around time at firearms licensing was about six weeks :lol: . I phoned the firearms department and explained that I couldn't be without my rifle for that length of time, and was told to send in my certificate with a covering letter and they'd see what they could do.

Four days later my certificate was returned with my old rifle removed and permission to purchase a new one, and a temporary certificate allowing me to hold my old rifle until i found a new one. Surely Sussex could sort something out along similar lines.

Q :lol:

Hi all,

Just been told by my firearm dept that i need to sell the gun  then get a variation then i can buy again so if this is right how can i px it ?

Think i,m being told a pile of poo poo!!!

Cheers

Brian...

If you can get a second .224" calibre rifle put on your certificate, then you will have some breathing space to sell your first rifle anywhere.

You could ask for a 28 day license to hold the first rifle while you dispose of it, but having 2 on your certificate should be no problem.

I had a certificate allowing me to buy a second .22rf for years without using it and then decided not to bother.

NB You can have a Tikka T3 with a stretch trigger, but the extra cost seems a lot!

Edited by rjimmer