Mitsubishi l200

Rob G

I'm looking at changing my truck,i fancied a l200.A lot of people have told me that they have trouble with the engines and gear boxes.The toyota hilux holds it money and with the money i have got £4-£4500 i would get a newer l200.Also looked at a ranger.Any advice would be greatly appriciated

I test drove an L200 and the driving position was awful it was underpowered and used diesel like it was for free.

After much research I bought a Navara much nicer to drive, more power, more econonmy, just keep it serviced with fresh oil and filter.

Dave B

I have had 2 L200's,my first one was a yr 2000 4life model,it was ok but was under powered and the turning circle was dreadfull,it was ultra reliable and never let me down,in a moment of madness i sold it and bought a club cab 54 plate Navara :blush: it was better on fuel than the L200 but felt very cheap and used to bounce all over the road so i sold it after only owning it for 3 weeks and bought my second L200 which was a 2003 Warrior (i fitted a engine chip to it. the later engines,i think 03 onwards can be chipped to 136bhp the early ones can't ) the turning circle was sorted out on the late 02 onwards models,in another moment of madness i sold it and bought a new shape Range Rover :lol: i have regretted selling it ever since,i wouldn't hesitate in buying another Warrior or animal.I sold my 03 Warrior last May for £7k.i think you could buy something similar for about £4500

I have a 54 plate Warrior. I have had it for 2.5 years and the only problem with it really is the fuel economy. I use it for commuting, shooting and as a family car. It does well in every role. I have never had any problems with it. It is good off road having only got stuck once.

We have rangers at work and I think they are ****. No get up and go to them and really **** when towing. A friend who is a farmer has a ranger and when we went out in mine he was very impressed. He would not have gone where I did in his for fear of getting stuck.

I have heard to many bad things about Navara engines to buy one.

Harry

I had a lot of trouble with the 4wd light flashing and not getting fixed easily. That said it was my third L200 that played up, so they can't be that bad. I know of a lot of other people that have them and they are good trucks (although the leather interior of Dirty Harrys makes me feel guilty for even breathing in it). I'd say leave the posh ones alone if you want to use it, but that's just my view.

I've got a 51 plate thats had a hard life but I did buy it cheap and knew of a few issues. 53 plates have head issues in that they tend to crack its not mega expense but its a pain. They are a 4x4 that you can use and abuse mine is the simplest 4 work version which i like as its basic engineering and less to go wrong electrically. Mines on mud terrain tyres and is fine off road I've yet to struggle anywhere but its not a hard core off roader if you're into playing in pits etc then you will have problems.

The good bits are I've a canopy for the back so the dog and gear is kept separate from the cab, its a lot more refined than my old fourtrak and MPG is much better I usually get 30mpg average which for a 4x4 is fine in my book. There are smarter versions out there just depends if you like taking your wellies off before you get in or not, prices have fallen through the floor recently so you should get a good one for the money. Mechanicals wise most usual stuff is dead simple, brake pads are a 10 minute job to change and usually takes me longer to take the wheel off :yp:

I've changed pads all round rear shocks and a cv joint in 20K and thats considering mine used to be a hire vehicle and having lived off road for the first 80k of its life

Thanks for all the replies,i went and looked at a 51 reg last night and pick it up thursday.Took it for a drive seemed to go ok it has never seen mud got service history with it got it for £3350 well pleased

I'm well pleased,at the moment i have got a frontera swb with a 2inch lift and bfg mt's.It has sprung a bad oil leak so has got to go not worth spending more on it.I know a lot of people slate them but if the l200 goes in half the places i have been i will be pleased.A mate just rung and said he would give me £200 for it and use it as a shooting wagon so got to go out and muck it out now(god knows what i will find )