Fly Fishing Croatia 2009

Dunkield

Got back from another great trip to Croatia on Saturday, at this rate I will be buying a second home there.

Anyways, we suffered a bit from low water in the main river and the tributaries but still managed, with the help of local guides, to find fishable water and more importantly - fish.

Four of us fished four 3 and bit days, and apart from one short session (in between eating and drinking) we all caught, or at least hooked something each time.

Our guide and Drovers have some fish pictures, when I get those I will stick them up as well.

We reckon the biggest Grayling caught by Drovers was 45cm, I guessed my biggest was about 40cm but we need both pictures and hand size measurements to settle that one, not that size matters of course ;)

Despite the fact the Italians/ French /Germans seem to have discovered the area, I can't describe how scenic and underpopulated it is, so here are some pictures that should help.

We went up close to the sourse of the Kupa one day, high up in the Risnjak National Park

Almost had all 4 seasons in one day there, it rained a little bit in the morning

P1030754.jpg

But once that blew over we were left with views like this, and the water still as clear as ever:

P1030761.jpg

This is a small stream called the Turak or sometimes called Curak

The water is fairly low as you can see, but there were still Grayling all over the place, and the bigger fish hold up in any pool.

Casting can be tricky under those fly grabbing trees.

P1030770.jpg

Here is the Kupa as it starts to gain a bit of momentum, even in these conditions there is miles of fishable water

P1030797.jpg

And a poncey 'arty' shot taken whilst waiting for a lift.

P1030774.jpg

I will get hold of the other pics and add them as and when they become available.

It came out OK, that non waterproof camera was under water 24 hours earlier as I pressure tested my waders going up to my chest.

Unfortunately my camera was on the outside of my waders, not inside where I thought it was :yp:

I have to admit Drovers came up with the idea, credit where credit is due and all that

Rick,

Fishing permits are 20 euros/day

Local guides are about 50 euros/day, we use 2, one is a very good nymph tyer who supplies the right flies for the water.

I will upload some pics of his stuff tied on 22 and 24 hooks, I have trouble seeing them let alone tying them.

I'll PM you the rest of the details.

Looks a fantastic place, is there much hassle getting there, a couple of mates and myself fancy a trip away next year, we were looking at argentina but it's quite pricey so were thinking of eastern europe if possible!!

A couple of post got lost in the DB restore, but my answer is the same, yes I wish I was still there and not here :yp:

No fishy pics just yet, but here is an idea of the size of flies they use there.

Much smaller than we are used to here, so much so I coughed up for one of those threader fly boxes so I could at least see to change flies in fading light and after a few Pear Liquers or Rakia's

P1030798.jpg

Stuart, what size flies? What are you imitating? What's your favourite pattern? Are there leopard (can't remember the proper name) trout in Croatia? I remember a super set of pictures in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying Mag (nearly as arty as yours) about fishing over there, it does look lovely.

ft

edit; The flies on the right look like north country spiders.

Edited by flytie

It's a lousy photo FT, I will stick some on the scanner to get better detail.

The nymphs on the left are my favourite they are like tiny shrimps, he ties them on 22's but our host took him a few thousand 24's out last year so I guess he will start using them as well.

They fish deep pools by just trotting them through, rod up, Czech nymph stylie.

If they are not getting down quickly enough they even put split shot on the leader as well.

I preferred using emergers in the fast flowing water like picture number 4, IF they are taking them, that and casting a Klinkhamer to rising fish to me is far more satisfying.

I haven't seen the marbled trout I have feeling they come from the Soca in Slovenia? but the Kupa forms the border between the two countries so it is possible that they are there as well.

It's a lousy photo FT, I will stick some on the scanner to get better detail.

The nymphs on the left are my favourite they are like tiny shrimps, he ties them on 22's but our host took him a few thousand 24's out last year so I guess he will start using them as well.

They fish deep pools by just trotting them through, rod up, Czech nymph stylie.

If they are not getting down quickly enough they even put split shot on the leader as well.

I preferred using emergers in the fast flowing water like picture number 4, IF they are taking them, that and casting a Klinkhamer to rising fish to me is far more satisfying.

I haven't seen the marbled trout I have feeling they come from the Soca in Slovenia? but the Kupa forms the border between the two countries so it is possible that they are there as well.

Marbled trout, that was the one! Thanks Stuart! I look forward to seeing the photo's. Czech Nymphing........... otherwise known as ledgering. I prefer emergers too.

Atb, ft

Edited by flytie

OK FT, try this for size, hopefully this has picked up the detail better:

These are all you need to catch there throughout the day.

nymphs.jpg

and

dries.jpg

The Klink was one of mine (bought not tied)

I think you can see he is better nymph tier than dry, but despite how rough/simple they seem they are extremely effective.

I tried to get out host to translate and pass on "don't crowd the eye when you tie those emergers" but he refused, which is probably just as well.

Very nice Stuart, very nice indeed. I think I would have to get out the magnifying glass.

What is the pattern on the far right? 1/ Klink is easy and one of my favourites, 2/ looks like an F fly with deer hair over, 3/ looks like a small Stimulator although they are normally tied on a longshank, 4/ ??

So I take it that caddis are on the menu then? Do the rivers have any olives, or even mayfly? If it is high up do they have any stonefly? Have you tried a Sparkle Gnat (like a Griffith's Gnat but with a bit of sparkle tied in as an emerging shuck, it's another must have for my fly box. If the tyer could just ease the head back from the eye those patterns would be perfect. Doesn't mean they would catch fish any better though. I think you have found a diamond there!

ft

As you I dabble with fly tying, if is easy enough I can knock them up OK.

But when the guy walks down to the river kicks the bottom up a bit, brings the samples back to hut, gets out a travel vise and ties those nymphs to match on 22 hooks and smaller you have to concede you are in the presence of an artist.

Ironically he is an actual artist as well.

I am not a river fishing expert by any means, but yes caddis were on the menu and there was an almighty hatch one evening, so thick we were choking on them, but I would say they were a mixture of flies not one in particular - definitely no mayfly, some stonefly looking beasties and black gnats as well (ask Drovers about getting bitten)

Although we stuck to his flies, some other fishers from Germany and Holland were using PTN's and other more traditional stuff only down to size 16 and still catching, so who knows.

I just want to go back.

Now.

• 2 weeks later...
Great pics, look forward to seeing some of the fish. :no:

They are coming through slowly, I need our guide to email the pictures he took of my fish.

You mainly fish away from each other so getting pictures while trying to get the fish returned asap isn't easy.

Here are a couple Drovers took anyways:

CIMG4620.jpg

and

CIMG4629.jpg

They always look smalled in the pictures, but they are a decent size and in fast flowing water put up a great scrap :good: