Hovering crows.

Cranfield

I have been out today shooting rooks, crows and pigeons over peas that are well podded.

As there was very little wind, I kept getting crows and rooks coming over very high and then circling down to look at the decoys and hovering about 30-35 yards above them , almost stationary in the breeze.

They look the easiest things in the world to hit, but I usually miss with the first shot and then shoot them as they break away.

I have tried shooting at them, below them , above them and it makes little difference, I kill about 1 in 5 with the first shot.

When I do hit them I don't know what I did differently.

I don't wing them, I miss them completely.

Pity there isn't a stand on Sporting Clays that imitates a hovering crow, I could go and have some practice. :hmm:

I have been out today shooting rooks, crows and pigeons over peas that are well podded.

As there was very little wind, I kept getting crows and rooks coming over very high and then circling down to look at the decoys and hovering about 30-35 yards above them , almost stationary in the breeze.

They look the easiest things in the world to hit, but I usually miss with the first shot and then shoot them as they break away.

I have tried shooting at them, below them , above them and it makes little difference, I kill about 1 in 5 with the first shot.

When I do hit them I don't know what I did differently.

I don't wing them, I miss them completely.

Pity there isn't a stand on Sporting Clays that imitates a hovering crow, I could go and have some practice. :hmm:

Cranners, have you tried shooting at a pattern plate? This can show up problems with gunfit, if you are missing static targets this could, only could mind you, be the problem. I made my own pattern plate using the end of a reel of paper from a large printing press. Its about 6'6" wide. I just kept pulling up paper and used drawing pins to stick it to a pallet. Cut off what you shoot and then pull up some more if and when necessary. It will at least give you an idea of where you are shooting.

ft

I agree with the original poster, they are very deceiving and I have trouble hitting them. They only appear to hover, they are sort of flopping along, but so slow and often really high and I basically have no idea how much lead to give.

Cranners, have you tried shooting at a pattern plate? This can show up problems with gunfit, if you are missing static targets this could, only could mind you, be the problem. I made my own pattern plate using the end of a reel of paper from a large printing press. Its about 6'6" wide. I just kept pulling up paper and used drawing pins to stick it to a pallet. Cut off what you shoot and then pull up some more if and when necessary. It will at least give you an idea of where you are shooting.

ft

How do I get the pattern plate to hover 30-35 yards up in the air ? :hmm:

A good suggestion, but the gun fit is spot on.

I think john_r is right, they are not hovering , but slowly moving in a small tight circle.

Theoretically, I should be aiming slightly in front and inside of the curve.

I am out again tomorrow (weather permitting), so I will give it a try.

How do I get the pattern plate to hover 30-35 yards up in the air ? :hmm:

A good suggestion, but the gun fit is spot on.

I think john_r is right, they are not hovering , but slowly moving in a small tight circle.

Theoretically, I should be aiming slightly in front and inside of the curve.

I am out again tomorrow (weather permitting), so I will give it a try.

Pattern plate in the air? Buy your children a big kite and borrow it.

ft

Edit; The kite thing worked for Payne-Galway!

Edited by flytie

in a decent wind crows hovering are hard to hit I have watched them coming head on from a hill and they are actualy moving up and down and side to side a bit as well as forward. I usually miss them but find a wee bit of lead with the choked barrel gets them ... Sometimes!