Dog Acne

pavman

Guys just came back form the vets with my 10 week lab pup, she was having her first jabs. She has a number of raised spots under her muzzle and one had erupted and looked sore. The vet said its Puppy acne!

I have never heard of this, or seen it before, vet said it’s quite common and some dogs suffer with it throughout there life. He also said that sometimes they get an inverted hair growth in the spot, which can cause the septic weeping but is otherwise, harmless.

They can occur anywhere (normally on the face area) and for the most part cause no problem other than the appearance.

Just thought I would share this with you guys although I am probably the only one who did not know about it!

pavman

Hope this helps

CANINE ACNE

Dogs can get acne, too. Typically it shows up as bumps on a dog's chin that resemble those seen with acne in people. In some cases, this can be the result of allergic reactions. Plastic food bowls may be a source of

these reactions in some dogs. Demodectic mange, immunosuppressive disease, drug reactions and trauma

are other possible underlying causes.

Canine acne usually occurs on the chin of affected dogs. It resembles acne in humans and it tends to occur in a similar pattern, showing up in adolescence and continuing into adulthood in a small percentage of dogs.

Short-coated dogs, such as boxers, bulldog and Doberman pinschers are most commonly affected. Usually this is a minor problem but some dogs can develop significant infections.

It is necessary to appropriately treat any underlying disease in order to succeed in eliminating the acne long

term. Most cases of canine acne can be controlled.

Mild forms of acne may just appear as reddened bumps on the skin. More severe cases may have larger

hard lumps, sometimes associated with a draining tract.

It is not always necessary to treat acne. When it becomes a problem, it will often respond to treatment with a shampoo containing benzoyl peroxide. Dogs may be sensitive to gels or shampoos containing greater than 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. In really severe cases, antibiotic treatment lasting several weeks or even short term treatment with corticosteroids may be necessary.

Mike Richards, DVM

NTTF

Hi Mike

thanks for the comprehensive details, who would have thought dogs could suffer in such a way,

the vets have said we dont need to worry, just keep an eye on it and take her back if it get worse,

thanx for the advise have printed and saved

pavman

Thanks for that I always wondered what that was.

Sometimes its there and looks sore othertimes you would hardly noticed it. I have looked loads of times at my dogs chin to see if its swollen up and its never had the white puss associated with acne and it hasn't seemed to cause any discomfort.

Good to know what it is though, I will keep a closer eye on it now.