Whats new ?

I havent seen any but i bet we could make one.

I have seen a few American catalogues and they have some wonderfull Hi -Tech equipment in them

I personally think we are getting away from the proper hunting with all these gadgets

It will get to the point where there will be little skill attached to getting our quarry

I agree, although I,m not one to stand in the way of "progress", I'm not sure all these new devices amount to "progress". For instance, will the day come when the countryside is littered with spinning, bobbing, flapping, swooping machines every saturday and sunday? If the day came when it was common-place to see these machines, would that be a good thing? Let's face it, a good days pigeon shooting can be had with the minimum of technology and all the "machines" are not a necessity....... Or are they?

I understand the thinking behind HH and Malcs comments.

Progress and innovation just keep happening and there is only one thing we can do about it.

That is, decide not to join in.

Don,t get a digital camera or TV.

Keep away from computers, if its too late, then keep away from Broadband (its very good though :crazy:  ) .

The lists are endless.

I,m not against anything that makes life and its contents easier and more comfortable.

Rotary pigeon devices ? I,ve got one.

Thats probably as "high tech" as I will go at the moment, until I see something that is truly revolutionary (as I believe the rotary to be).

The gadgets may bring the pigeons in, but you still have to shoot them.

No gadget is going to compensate for a poorly made and located hide.

You will always need your fieldcraft.

I don,t really care what the countryside fills up with on Saturdays and Sundays...........I only shoot in the week. :D :D :D

Ah, but all is not lost.  Innovation is self-destructive.  The more gadgets we collect and sophisticated we become the greater the desire for simplicity.  It's apparent in all sports.  From hook and worm to fancy crankbaits, longbows to crossbows, single-shots to auto's - with age we all return to what is true, simple and pure.  Why?  Because it works!  Up until yesterday the Mojo Dove was the ultimate killing machine. Unfortunately, the pigeons have somehow learned to "recognize" that Mojo means NO-GO.  We killed about 10 birds all afternoon.  It was a humbling experience.  I think we have fooled all we are going to fool in this population this year.  If we hunt them again it will be with real decoys in big numbers with no Mojo.

I watched an England pigeon shooting video yesterday.  There were a couple "professional pigeon shooters" putting it on.  I actually got to see them hunt over Rape and Peas.  It's a little different shooting.  Most of the birds shot in the video coming to decoys were singles.  It's on rare occasion we have a flock of less than 6-10 come in.  Wood Pigeons also seem to maintain their flight pattern and turn on the jets after being shot at while Rock Doves scatter in every direction.  I saw some plastic full body decoys, shells, telescopic blind poles, dead bird mounting poles and all kinds of goodies that are impossible to find in the states.  Well, time to get off here. Good luck!

Your experience with the "Mojo" sounds like some of our shooters experience with the rotary device.

Occassions like that, do not condemn a method or item of equipment in my eyes, but just reinforces variety of approach.

Different things work on different days.

Recently, I have not been putting out my rotary device as part of my initial set-up.

If birds passed wide of my decoys without any interest, I have put it out.

Sometimes it pulls the birds in, other times it doesn,t sem to make much difference.

I will also increase or decrease the numbers of decoys in the pattern if birds pass by.

Sometimes this works.

All I am doing is preventing myself from becoming reliant on any single plan/method.

I shot loads of pigeons before the "rotary" and still retain confidence in a good decoy pattern without it.

Your comment on wood pigeons coming in straight to a decoy pattern is correct when its a reasonably still day, but get any suggestion of a wind and it can be quite different.

We certainly do have a wide range of decoying aids to choose from, some of course, are designed to attract the shooter more than the pigeon. :crazy:

I don,t have any buddies who are good enough shots to compete, at any level of competition. :crazy:

Are these Championships televised ?

There have been attempts to show clay pigeon shooting competitions on TV here, mostly satellite channels, but it hasn,t really caught on.

I think its one of those sports that , if you take part you will watch it, if you don,t ,you won,t.

Some people say that there is a world of difference between clay shooting and live quarry shooting.

I think this is right in some respects, but every good clay shooter I have known has also been a good live quarry shooter.

Many years ago, I attended a Corporate game shooting day at Lord Stafford,s estate in Stafford.

One of the guns was a member of the England Olympic Clay Team, I can,t remember his name ,but I think it began with  a "B" and I also think he won a gold medal.

On a few of the drives he was at the next stand to me and his shooting was awesome.

I spent more time watching him that shooting.

At lunch and between drives we chatted and he was a very nice bloke.

I bruised my knee because of you Cranfield!  I was sitting here minding my own business, reading your response when I caught the silhouette of a flying pigeon out of the corner of my eye.  Reflex had me jump across the room for my gun and a shell and I slammed my knee into the gun safe.  I did manage to get off a shot at the second bird crossing.  I haven't found a feather among all the plastic and glass yet, but the shot felt good.  Maybe the dead bird lies on your end :D .

I too haven't noticed any good clay shooters (sporting) that aren't good feather shooters.  There are however, a few trap shooters that are horrible at putting game in the freezer.  The event has a good bit of media coverage, but no running cameras that I am aware of.  Maybe the final shoot offs are televised?  Lord Stafford and his estate?  Somehow I get the feeling this guy doesn't mow his own lawn   :crazy: !  I have seen a few clips on TV of this type of shooter.  It's almost too much believe.  There is a guy over here, or from somewhere, who is a famous skeet shooter.  I watched him shoot three or four stations from the hip.  He never missed!  

I shot pigeons yesterday in a dairy lot.  These birds haven't been shot at this year so I took my .410.  All I have is factory loads, #9 shot 2 1/2."  Most shots were 15-20 yards but I shot consistently out to almost 30.  I shot a couple birds at 35 but had to run them down so I set my limit at 30.  Surprisingly, I wasn't able to notice any difference between a 20 ga. 2 3/4 loaded with 7 1/2's and the .410.  Birds just didn't seem to have the ability to fly through a wall of number 9's.  One thing I did notice was margin of error.  If my follow through or form didn't feel quite right, it ended up being a complete woof (miss).  I can usually get a way with some of that shooting a 20.  I ended up with 39 birds and newfound respect for the Lil' Gun.  At our last unsuccessful shoot one of my buddies brought his .410 loaded with 3" shells comprised of 7 1/2's.  He shot a few birds out to 30 yards with no problems.  He also had his 20 gauge in the blind!  I'll be gone for the next 4 days, so I'll get back with you then.  I'm heading for the State Fair.  I'm going to call a few guys "bloke's" and see what kind of response I get.  You may be liable for a bruised eye too!

Yes, I,ve got the bird this end, it wasn,t a very good shot and I had to apply the Vulcan death grip. That is something I have to work on. :D

I was once the CEO of a Company that was part of a Group.

Lord Stafford was a Director of the Group.

He is known to be one of the three best game shots in England.

Old Staffordshire family, darn nice bloke. :crazy:

I am not that confident of the stopping power of the .410.

There have been times when I have suprised myself with occasional long shots, but they have been the exception.

Normally a few feathers is all I get for my more optimistic efforts.

You didn,t mention the  shot weights you are using, that does make a difference.

The tight choking on the .410 doesn,t leave a lot of margin for error, but it can mean a few spectacular long shots.

I am interested in the shot sizes you chose, with my .410s I used larger shot than normal (due to the choking), nothing smaller than a 6, more often 5 or 4.

I found this produced more stone dead quarry and less chasing around.

I would need some serious persuasion to use a .410 consistently for my general shooting.

I am even having a long debate with myself about whether or not, to buy a 20 bore O/U or Auto.

I don,t really need another gun, but it would be nice to use an ultra light weapon for a change.

The 20 is a possibility the .410, no chance.

If its not work, enjoy your few days off.

If it is work........tough luck. :D

I don't have anything big enough to handle the tiger!  I'll shoot it in the rump with a .22 and let you practice your death grip on it :crazy: !

I am in the process of trying different shot now.  As a matter of fact, I just purchased 7 1/2 and 8 shot today.  I wanted 9 shot but couldn't find any.  This is obviously much smaller than you prefer.  I bought the .410 for doves.  I have used factory-loaded 9's in the 20 gauge with great results.  Just don't shoot birds inside of 15 yards and outside of 30.  With modified and improved chokes I found an adequate number of pellets finding their mark for clean kills.  I have watched my buddy’s shoot 7 1/2's in .410 and struggle on a few occasions.  One pellet in the bird may or may not be adequate.  I'm certain I won't need to go any smaller than 7 1/2 for doves.  I will shoot a majority of my shots between 20 and 25 yards with the .410.  If I am hitting birds and they are not falling or are often times alive on the ground I do the opposite of most.  I decrease shot size creating a denser pattern.  Energy difference between these two sizes at this distance is insignificant in my opinion.  Number of pellets and shot placement are.  More shot and an open choke seem to make bad shooting days and crippled birds diminish significantly.  I am in the process of moving so I will only be around on occasion for the next few months.  I am fairly certain you would enjoy a more slim line, lighter 20 gauge over a 12.  I'm not an expert or a crack shot, but I have no problems killing fat winter mallards out to 30 yards with #4 steel shot using a 20 gauge.  These are tough birds with thick skin and lots of fat and plumage.  I have even killed geese inside that range.  The same load with lead shot would be devastating on pigeons.  I would probably use 6 shot on your bigger and some times further Wood Pigeons.  Talk to you soon.

The tiger suits my mood at the moment, I will probably change it to something softer and cuddlier as I mellow out. :crazy:

Buy one box of No5 shot for your .410 and tell me if your shot/kill ratio on the birds improves, I feel sure it will up to 25 yards.

My inner struggle re the 20 bore is, that it won,t make me shoot any better, I don,t really need another gun, it is not more "appropriate" for the birds I,m shooting, I don,t intend to sell a gun to "make room for it" and so its really a "luxury" purchase .

I don,t shoot wildfowl any more, not for any sininster reason, just that I no longer have access to private land that they frequent.

Originally, the Company that I owned had 300 acres of marshland and woods on a major river estuary.

The ducks and geese use to come in to the ponds, fleets and the flooded parts of the marsh.

I have had my springer spaniel (at the time), picking up shot birds from amongst the decoys, with ducks landing all around her.

I was the only person that shot over this land.

Have you ever experienced shot appearing to "bounce off" incoming mallard.

I swear that I have heard it coming off their feathers when they have been coming in fast and low.

I have no experience of steel shot.

We are only required to use it on wildfowling wetlands and I am not too sure of the requirements in that respect.

Many of the US Duck Forums seem to be quite relaxed about using steel shot nowadays.

I can remember the rantings and ravings when the requirement came into force.

I am not sure wether they have got use to the idea, or if the quality of the lead substitutes are far better than they were.

No 6 shot seems to be the "average" used by most wood pigeon shooters and its the one I,m most confident with.

I do sneak a box of No 7s in my bag sometimes, just for the front barrel.

Moving can be quite stressful and so you are going to need a few quiet days in the hide taking your stress out on the birds. :D

Any Turkey hunting this season ?