22 or 17 HMR

Hi all, wondered if some one could help me out, im about to apply for an f.a.c certificate and would like to know which calibre would be best for long range rabbit and the odd fox if it happened to pop up, and whats best for the job between a 17hmr and a 22? which has the best range? :good: thanks.

Hi all, wondered if some one could help me out, im about to apply for an f.a.c certificate and would like to know which calibre would be best for long range rabbit and the odd fox if it happened to pop up, and whats best for the job between a 17hmr and a 22? which has the best range? :good: thanks.

22 Hornet :P

.22lr and .17HMR whilst both rimfires have differing roles IMO.

.22lr is a very capable adaptable hunting round, limited in range by the accuracy of avaialble ammo and the rifle. It can also fire Subs and is almost silent when used such.

.17HMR has a much faster flatter trajectory but is very limited in ammo availability and hence uses. It is also produces a louder report compared to a .22lr.

Neither has sufficient energy to ensure clean kills of Fox and hence I wouldnt use either on it.

So my answer to your question woud be get both, play with different ammo until you have a set up your happy with and use them for different purposes.

OR

If you already have a type of use in mind one will fit this criteria better than the other.

To compare them is a bit like comparing any rimfire to a centerfire. They are different and have different uses.

My preference would be a .17hmr due to the longer range and its inherently more accurate.

As for shooting fox its not a foxing tool but its still capable but not very forgiving for a badly placed shot. An accurately placed head shot will take out a fox 100% of the time which is fine and badly placed shot will wound the animal and will die slowly which is not fine.

With all types of hunting the decision lies with the person behind a gun if you feel your rifle is setup right and is accurate and consistant and you can make the shot i don't see a problem with that. Personally i don't shoot over 120yards as i just dont feel the need whenever a fox has presented itself the .17 has done its job but only inside a range i feel comfortable shooting with consistant results in good conditions. This for me lies inside 100yards in calm conditions.

A .22lr and a .17hmr both have there benifits i went with the .17hmr but later bought a .22lr not as a replacement more for quiter night shooting.

I'm a simular situation. I have a 22lr but need the extra range as I'm having a problem estimating range at dusk, at say 70-90m ( bit of a drop off) so I am putting in for a variation for either a 17 HMR which seams to be the most popular or going for a the less popluar 22 WMR. Most shooting will be say 120m and for bunnies.

I have heard of wind problem with HMR but don't know what range and how windy, and of the WMR being less popular and accuracy and ammo availability problems etc.

Need some practical help to choose :good:

I'm a simular situation. I have a 22lr but need the extra range as I'm having a problem estimating range at dusk, at say 70-90m ( bit of a drop off) so I am putting in for a variation for either a 17 HMR which seams to be the most popular or going for a the less popluar 22 WMR. Most shooting will be say 120m and for bunnies.

I have heard of wind problem with HMR but don't know what range and how windy, and of the WMR being less popular and accuracy and ammo availability problems etc.

Which rifle and ammo are you using? Whilst I accept my rifle is exceptionally good and I use a rangefinder scope and have done a lot of rangework to know how much it drops, I regularly now take bunnies over 100yds with my .22lr (Sako Finnfire).

Have you tried all these avenues before you go down the .17hmr route...?

Edited by The Burpster

Seems a lot of discussion on this subject, i spoke to basc before i applied for my fac and am waiting for a response, no rushing them for sure. The advice i got was distance was pretty similar with both rifles except the 17 has a flatter line. I just wanted something for rabbits at a decent distance because frankly i thought the air rifle route was rubbish, you cant always get within 40 yds. So im very much undecided what to get i applied for both so wait and see.

Which rifle and ammo are you using? Whilst I accept my rifle is exceptionally good and I use a rangefinder scope and have done a lot of rangework to know how much it drops, I regularly now take bunnies over 100yds with my .22lr (Sako Finnfire).

Have you tried all these avenues before you go down the .17hmr route...?

Yep I tried 'stingers' = flatter but not as accurat at 90m against eley subs.

I wanted to test it well before going for another gun, I like the 22lr but typical field edge shoot are difficut to get in range. Last week I missed the same bunny at lets say a few times - I estimated it at 70m but on pacing it was just over 90m 3-4 inch drop off.

I zero my 22lr at 60m and on my WTC 30/30 scope lift to the end of the centre line for 85m- still groups well, at 100m is a bit more elevation and I have taken bunnies ok. But the problem is estimating drop and the feeling the gun is working at the end of its usefull range.

Going for 17HMR is the general route but I wanted to hear from people using 22WMR and their experience.

theres a lot of bull written on here but you won't get that problem with the HMR I'm 100% confident of that you can aim dead on from 50 - 120 yards and you'll still hit the kill zone on a rabbit with the HMR, You could faff about with range finders and get all technical but if you want a point and shoot gun for lamping etc you won't get better. Also they are louder but most rabbits just don't care, because its as the bullet goes supersonic its a crack that you can't locate where it came from. the result is your average bunny sticks its head up to listen which is a good thing as it makes the next shot easier.

Also don't pay too much notice to the wind issue thats mostly people comparing it to centrefire rounds in reality just hold back distance a little if its windy and you'll be fine. Its a much more efficient caliber then the .22lr and you will get better bullet placement and a cracking kill ratio and with a lot more leeway for a dodgy shot than with the .22

Cost is more but pretty comparable to using a shotgun

Many thanks for the last 2 clear replies - you both seam to sum it up for the HMR. Although I'm a technical type I often find with too much information it can end in deadlock.

My local Police wont let me use any rimmy on Fox, so its bunnies at range for me.

Many thanks :good:

Most seem to have both but do you really use them and is it economical to have both, if you prefer one then does'nt the other sit gathering dust in the cabinet.

Or are there times when one suits a given situation if so what would be best uses for both. We could run a book here as a popularity test. :good::oops:

I have the 16" varmint which wasn't too expensve and I must admit I'm keen on, It's a little heavier but it feels nice and compact. As for the mod I have a Sak on it and it's perfectly fine for my uses. Although I've heard that they aren't the best and do corrode, so I'm hoping It lasts a year or two and I'll just buy a new one then. I paid 30 for the Sak when I got the gun. I've heard alot of good things about the ASE moderators so they may be worth a look.

unless you have to be quiet eg round stock the HMR is the only one to have. After all who takes out the less powerful gun with the banana shaped trajectory when they don't need to.

I must be the exception that proves the rule. Am I the only person on here who thinks the .17 HMR is over-rated?! I sold mine last month, and haven't looked back. I appreciate that it has a role and a huge following, but I cannot understand the ludicrous stigma that the .22LR seems to have earned since the .17 HMR went into production.

Can someone with expert knowledge of exterior ballistics please explain to me why the .17 HMR is "inherently more accurate" than the .22LR, as per one of the posts above? It's not the first time I've heard rubbish like that written, and I'm interested in the facts behind the claim.

Balders, no mate I'm with you 100%..... :good:

I like .17HMR dont get me wrong but it is a solution to a non existant problem IMHO....

Maybe 200yd crows or rabbits but then I dont shoot small vermin at those ranges as, unless it is ideal conditions (very rare in the country) there is way too much margin for error and wounding rather than a clean cull.

I may still get an HMR but only becuase I have a slot on my ticket which is not being used and it would make sense to use it rather than loose it.

As too making .22lr redundant, I'm afraid that is just wrong.

It is a different calibre with a different use.