New Job, Need new toys...But which ones?

Hey lad's As some of you may know i have spent my last 2 years on a highland estate where i have worked towards my svq level 2 in Gamekeeping, However. as i am now moving onto my hnc i had to chance estates and i am now moving to a lowland shoot with 9000 Pheasants, Duck ponds and Roe stalking. As my .25.06Rem is Prolly a bit big for foxes and other winged vermin i'll be shooting at, Im planning 2 new rifles. I think i'll go for a .17hmr and either a 22.250 or a .243, Need a bit of help choosing between the 22.250 and the .243, Any suggestions? Anyone got experience with either calibers and what makes of rifle to go for? Thinking about a Sako finnlight But as yet im not too sure. Any help would be greatly apericiated!!!

Need a bit of help choosing between the 22.250 and the .243, Any suggestions?

If your political masters up there suddenly decide, then you might have to get a .243 one day anyway, for Roe.

If you ever get a job south of the border, you will need a .243 for Roe.

You can use a 55grn bullet in either.

Facts, not opinions, as I have never used either.

Edited by rjimmer

Need a bit of help choosing between the 22.250 and the .243, Any suggestions?

I have a Steyr SSG .243 which I use for Foxes and Deer. I think it's great.

A friend of mine has a 22-250 (CZ, I think) which he uses solely for foxing. He thinks it's great.

I have read that the 22-250s are noisy, and also that if you use "hot" homeloads, they are very prone to barrel wear.

Just like rjimmer says, if you want it for Deer in England, it's got to be at least .24 calibre.

Maybe Plod has made your mind up for you. :D

Good Luck :D:D

I have read that the 22-250s are noisy, and also that if you use "hot" homeloads, they are very prone to barrel wear.

Now theres another subject that I can't remember seeing mentioned in postings on here.

Stainless barrels, I've read, are less prone to heat damage just in front of the chamber than conventional steel barrels are.

Surely dunganick has something to say on this thread!

im resisting, and going to let you lot fight it out between yourselves

out of your 2 options my prefference would be 22-250 unless as mentioned there would be shooting opertunities in england in which case 243

they are loud so get a silencer

thats all im going to say

egnwt, its good to hear from you again and to learn that your studies are progressing. :D

It doesn't seem 2 years ago that you went up to Scotland.

If your new job gives you computer access, please keep us uptodate with what you are doing.

I'm sure a lot of us would find it very interesting.

You have probably got the job, that most of the members here would like. :D

Yeah Cranfield, The last 2 years have flown past. I enjoyed my time away up norht but it was just too far away from everything. the nearest corner shop was 40 miles!!! My new job is around 45 mins from my mum and dads house and all my friends.

Think i'll prolly go with the 22.250 but i'll have a word with the keeper there and see what he thinks. I think i'll go for a stainless sinthetic or maybe a laminate stock......depending on my wages!!

Guest Mr Pieman

EGNWT,

nice to see you back. why not go the whole hog and get a 6.5x55? Legal for fox and deer - only need one rifle - and will stop ALL deer, even the big Reds and Sika :D The .243 is a bit iffy on the bigger deer, IMHO.

Cheers

PP

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that .243 is good but dont go down the 55 grain path as it will cause barrel wear at a greater rate. 70 or 75 grain is good and nocks charlie *** over *** at long ranges just the same. best of luck with your studies and new boss.

Edited by Ears