Crow bashing

joeshaw08

I was riding my bike past a field of maize earlier that had been abliterated by crows, and there were about 60-70 on it as a rode past. I asked around whos farm it was and after a couple of miles I eventually found it, spoke to the farmers mother who gave me his number. He said he hadn't realised until yesterday that it had been so badly hit, and he said I can help myself to it anytime :good:

There is not many pigeons about there, now I've done alot of pigeon shooting but have never committed a whole day to the crows. So what decoys shall I use and what setup? I have a magnet with two flying crow deeks but nothing else apart from pigeon shells and full bodied pigeons.

Joe :oops:

Having shot crows for a while now with my good friend Hawkeye, we tend to stick out half a dozen decoys randomly together with a caller. The most important thing is that your hide must be top notch as crows/rooks and other corvids have eyes like the proverbial **** house rat.

The hide that I use is made up of two layers of 'stealth' netting with a roof on top. Also sit well back in the hide and keep movement to a minimum. If bright sunshine I also use a lightweight camo veil and camo floppy hat.

Crows can detect any glinting from bright metal gun parts so dont flash the gun in sunlight (use camo tape).

I use a Benelli 26" barrel in camo 'realtree''. Last two times out with Hawkeye we shot 175 crows over sheep pasture and freshly cut silage.

:good::oops:

both the above replys are good you could also try using a big owl decoy someone told me they used a couple of chicken eggs in the field. me and my mate shoot crow weekly under flight lines and they are twice as jumpy as pigeons so as they approach if they think anythings not rite then they will be gone.they are very clever at spotting danger. good luck and keep us informed

I ended up going out for an hour or so today just to have a walk about. I set up my hide under an oak, the birds couldnt see me until it was too late. I only had the pigeon deeks out with a couple of dead crows in there aswell, but it didn't seem to bring them in, I was just shooting them under the flight line. I couldn't believe it though, the first crow I shot was on it's way down when out of nowhere 20-30 crows and magpies came in straight away and mobbed it, giving me the chance to shoot a couple more! Ended up with 4 rooks, a jackdaw and a magpie, i'll give them a proper bashing tomorrow once i've got the gear.

Having shot crows for a while now with my good friend Hawkeye, we tend to stick out half a dozen decoys randomly together with a caller. The most important thing is that your hide must be top notch as crows/rooks and other corvids have eyes like the proverbial **** house rat.

The hide that I use is made up of two layers of 'stealth' netting with a roof on top. Also sit well back in the hide and keep movement to a minimum. If bright sunshine I also use a lightweight camo veil and camo floppy hat.

Crows can detect any glinting from bright metal gun parts so dont flash the gun in sunlight (use camo tape).

I use a Benelli 26" barrel in camo 'realtree''. Last two times out with Hawkeye we shot 175 crows over sheep pasture and freshly cut silage.

:good::yes:

and hawkeye tells me he always shoots more than you !!

:):hmm: :hmm:

true or false

Well I got back out the other day, used a bag of rubbish and a couple of chicken eggs as decoys aswell as a few pigeon shells. Nothing. Moved the pigeon shells in. Nothing. Had a go with the acme crow caller. Nothing!

I'll keep at them, buying a crow decoy and using them on the rotary aswell so this might hopefully pull them in.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a couple of crow deeks to start and as you shoot them add to your pattern.i use an acme crow caller works for me :yes: last two sessions out with shooting bud shot 70 and 93 on cut sillage field.i set my pattern out as for pigeons in a horseshoe and find they also find safety in numbers and try to land in the centre gap.great sport :lol:

Hi, I've shot a fair few crows in the past few years, generally I drive about until I see some and get out of the car with the Beretta or I sneak up and hit them from long range with the Magnum...

I don;t know much about decoying, but when you guys talk about patterns- can you describe what this is and how I can do it for crows and magpies, they're completely out of control where I am. I have 'access' :look: to rabbits, I have the acme caller etc...

I use my pigeon hide and ten flocked deeks two hyper flaps crows on the rotary and one lander also flocked. Make sure you cover up the base round the feet of the deeks I find this helps. I also have a couple of calls which are a help. I often put out 6 or so pigeon shells for the odd pigeon plus it gives the crow confidence then sit very. Still!