Gun fit

shoughton

Gun fit is a big issue and gets mentioned a lot - but in reality I think it gets overlooked a lot when we get started.

I only started with shotguns in March this year. In all the shops I visited 'checking the fit' consisted of me mounting the gun and the seller saying it looked fine. I didn't really know much better.

I purchased a new Lanber Sporter and now I know that my stock is a good 1.5" too short for me. I've been using a leather recoil pad providing that extention, and I shoot better with it. I was about to get the stock extended 'properly' - but now feel unsure if the other parameters are correct!

What I really need to do, I suspect, is visit a good gun fitter - but I'm lost as to know where to find one! Other shooters at the clubs I visit all have their own (conflicting) opinions with regard to gun fit!

The solution may be to try lots of others guns and see how they fit? But most gun stocks are too short for me - I need at least 15 1/2" LOP. I don't see many other guns around like that.

Just thought this was worth sharing to encourage any other newcomers to try lots more guns before buying your own. It might save you hassle.

Any thoughts/comments welcome!

Steve

Edited by shoughton

Bought my first shotty about 6 months ago and i know exactly what you mean.I visited a dozen decent well established gunshops and was told by at least half the proprietors that if it felt right it was right.A few people told me that drop at heel was all important and a few metioned the stock length and the distance between crook of elbow and trigger finger.In brief i got SO many different bits of advice.I then read an alarmingly detailed piece about gun fit that frankly went straight over my head.I ended up shouldering over 100 guns and travelled miles to see just about every available gun in my price range and a few above it.I think perhaps i was lucky as the gun i ended up with feels comfortable and i can hit stuff with it.Maybe having a few trial shots with it before you buy would be the answer.Im sure theres a hundred views on this subject but i see the point of the thread,you would think that the established gunshops would at least offer the type of service that the wife gets when she goes and buys a new Bra!!! They make sure the fits right and lets face it,there cant be many Bras that retail for over a grand!

RH

I completely agree RH, the problem being that a ,lot of people who own and run gunshops do not know what they are on about and if you visit 3 different shops you will get 3 different opinions.

I was in possibly the most expensive gunshop in surrey (if not britain) on saturday having a browse and there was a man with his son trying out different guns. Every one the young lad picked up the assistant said " Oh yes sir that looks fine" even though the lad was probably only about 12, not very big and cound barely reach the grip on some of them.

He clearly wanted a sale at any cost, not wanting to say that the guns didn't fit.

Most people can shoot a gun off the shelf, but fitting it gives the ultimate. It needs to shoot where you are looking instinctively, if it doesn't you will miss more than you hit.

Me too, I tried several (not 100's though!) of guns being new to shooting. I found the majority of shops rather unhelpful and many offered different (and often slightly wrong) advice. It seemed as if all they wished to do was sell me a gun, funny that.

In the end I read as much as I could, shouldered a few and plumped for one that ticked most of the boxes. Since then I've been to two gunsmiths that assured me I needed to have the stock bent down a little as my eye was slightly too high on the rib, again I read up on it, re-adjusted my hand along the fore end and fixed the problem for £200 less. I'm having my mount and fit looked at again on Friday, by yet another person, so I'll see what results that yields. To me it all seems very hit and miss, and there appears to be a lot of duff advice out there.

Just my experience.