Zeroing

firsttimer

i agree i start at about 20 yards and concentrate more on horizontal and getting that dead on, and getting the vertical there or there abouts. then i move the target back to my zero(35yards) and sort the vertical and tweak the horizontal if needed(usually not). 5 shot groups each time. then when zeroed at least 100 pellets to be confident of scope zero. then i shoot at 40,30,25 and 20 yards working out where on my mildot i have to aim for each range(and building confidence). i usually nearly get through a tin of pellets doing this and it takes me about 3 hours. it helps if you find a consistant pellet for your gun. hope this helps.

It is a personnal thing but as a rule of thumb on a .22 zero at 30yds. This can make it easier to get a kill shot should you misjudge a distance. (If you know what I mean!)

A .177 is usually zeroed at 35yds as it has a flatter trajectory which compensates.

New to airguns myself, just got one and not really had chance to zero it and find the right pellets yet (made mentals notes of zero techniques above) but....

What do you guys use to attach your targets too? I was taping A4 printed paper targets onto a phone book but that gets messed up very quickly! Bit of chipboard etc with added backstop?

HunterC

Excellent and very concise. Will get another tin of pellets and get going. Cheers

you have used a whole tin, and it is still not zero'd :no:

just kidding mate. listen to what folk on here are telling you, as its normaly good advise. if you are still having trouble, ask for help from someone local, and they should be able to meet up with you. :good:

I am also new to this and need to zero properly aswell. My issue is fixing the rifle in some way so it doesn't move from it's original position otherwise it defeats the object. Does anyone have any tips for this, I have a bipod but not sure it's staying in the same place.

I am also new to this and need to zero properly aswell. My issue is fixing the rifle in some way so it doesn't move from it's original position otherwise it defeats the object. Does anyone have any tips for this, I have a bipod but not sure it's staying in the same place.

dont worry about fixing your rifle to prevent movement, just make sure you shoot each shot from the same distance, and try and be as accurate as possible. take your time.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't necessarily matter if the gun does move as you want your zero to reflect how you actually shoot when you are not zeroing i.e out shooting bunnies etc.

If you do most of your shooting prone then shoot prone while zeroing. I find I tend to hit off to the left a bit when I shoot prone as my zero was done resting both elbows on a table (don't let your chest touch the table unless you feel comfortable holding your breath while shooting).

Shoot 5 to 10 pellets at the target and look for a group to emerge. If they are scattered all over, keep shooting until you can see more pellets hitting a specific area, then adjust the sights to move the centre of this group on to the centre of the target.

Another tip is to not use paper targets to zero, just draw a horizontal black line with a marker pen on a sheet paper, then from around 25 yards concentrate on getting the elevation set up properly by trying to hit the line, when you're happy with that setting then either turn the paper through 90 degrees to give you a vertical line or use another piece to set up the windage setting.

• 5 weeks later...