Crow cartridge/dispatching

joeshaw08

I was out on the crows yesterday using 32g 6's which is perfect for pigeons, killing them instantly most of the time. However I find with crows, (not so much jackdaws) but crows and rooks often need a second shot or dispatching some other way. I don't think the amount of lead i'm giving them is an issue here at all, however i'm shooting them when they are quite high up as unlike pigeons, they can be very reluctent to come straight into the pattern. Should I be using 5's for crows? I would use tighter chokes however mine are fixed to improved and half.

Also which method is best for dispatching crows? I twist the necks of pigeons but rooks have quite a big, dangerous looking beak on them and am quite reluctant about getting me fingers near it! At the moment i'm taking the forend off my shotty and using that for a priest until I get a proper one. It's a fairly cheap shotty so I don't mind!

Cheers, Joe

It might just be psychological mate. Crows have less amour (breast muscle) than pigeon and i always find they drop shredded to pieces (providing I put the pattern in the right place). You might be giving them too much lead if you are used to pigeon as the pigeon are normally flying faster. Try it again - you may find it was just an 'off day or 2'. A priest or a second shot fits the dispatching bill. :yes:

Ps I use 32g of 6s for rabbits, crows and pigeon. Clean kills all day long on flying birds out to 50yds.

Si

Edited by Si-Bore

I always use 6 shot 32 gram cartridges on crows and never have any trouble and I shoot them at some good distances (50- 65 yards).

If any are still alive (there are not many) I use a priest on it. 1 good hit to the back of the head and it is dead, I use it on pigeons aswell and it always works.

I use 30g/32g loads and get clean kills most of the time,however when i need to dispatch a bird,i use a priest which i made from an old snooker que,seems to do the job nicely,never had any complaints,dont tend to double-barrel them,with the present cost of cartridges :hmm: BB