Anyone got a new model Defender 110?

Al Downie

I'm thinking about ditching the estate car in favour of a proper shooting wagon - specifically a 110 Defender (in galway green of course). I was originally drawn to the 90 because of its shape and its totall off-road capability, but I can't deny the extra room in the back of the 110 is much more practical - I could take passengers AND the dog box AND all the shooting paraphernalia.

It would be great to hear from anyone else who owns one - are they still like huge oil-tankers, impossible to maneouvre around Tesco's car park? What about with the allow wheels and the 235 tyres? Any general opinions would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Al

A friend of mine has just got one in silvery grey, He told me he knocks he knee on the dash each time he gets in (but has rectifiyed this by modding the seat so it goes further back) the second problem that he had was driving it out of the dealership after pxing his disco3 he drove 150yrds down the road and he told me it was as if there was no syncro on third gear.

The alloys look good and the general grabbers look fairly chunky, I personaly would fit BFG M/Ts (but thats just me also depends on how much off road work there is) :good:

but I can't deny the extra room in the back of the 110 is much more practical - I could take passengers AND the dog box AND all the shooting paraphernalia.

Al, there is more space in the back of a 90 (commercial) than a 110 County !!

Yes the 110 will take passengers in the second row but the back has 2 (or 4 depending on which model you choose) folding seats which certainly reduce the available space for your shooting gear, totally forget about a dog box unless it's for a terrier.

In my opinion :oops: you will only gain space with the back seats folded down but then of course it reduces your passenger ability :lol: and even with the back seats folded you can still forget about the dog box.

The turning circle 'aint that bad considering the vehicle size however the problem will be opening your door in the supermarket car park :good: because of the vehicle height the door(s) must be fully opened which obviously leads to damage on yours or the car park adjacent. (been there done that)

The 235's are AT's or should be and these will get you anywhere .. the alloys are better on road and don't transmit every bump in the road ..

I've had 88's, 90's, 109's and 110's, :lol: love Land Rovers but now I find them grossly over priced and much prefer the sedate Disco(Td5) with the same running gear as the pre Ford Transit engined 2.4ltr.

By a 110 and I will guarantee that in six months when the novelty has worn off you will regret the purchase .. but until then enjoy :D

get a proper defender, 200 or 300tdi.

none of this electrical **** to go wrong.

doesnt die when it gets wet

throttle isnt electronic and jumpy off road.

and more space.

at the end of the day the new defenders are fords with a defender body.

I test drove a 90 :lol::lol::lol:

I don't know about room in the back, but there's no ******* room in the front.

I couldn't imagine doing a long journey in that thing :lol:

:lol: Land Rovers are a labour of love :lol:

I travelled from Chester down to Faversham in Kent in a brand new 90 Td5 with extra sound deadening kit fitted, steady 60 - 65mph but pulled over at Stafford to put my ear muffs on :/

Horrific journey, never been on the M25 before :P and 60-65mph is deadly, at least most drivers realize a LR is not built for speed ...........

Now in the Disco Aberdeen in a day there and back is not a problem, still as fresh as a daisy :P

I have to say often i'd prefer to be doing roadwork in a tractor to a 90 :lol:

Ditto.

We have a 110 crew-cab and a 90, both new, and both quite a step up from the Td5 in terms of comfort and performance. The 90 in particular is quite pokey, and I do love driving it (nobody else does though). It has substantially more torque than my usual Td5 Disco, giving relatively good acceleration between 30-70mph.

I wouldn't get a Disco 3 again. Off road, it is not a patch on the Td5 Disco.

Ditto.

We have a 110 crew-cab and a 90, both new, and both quite a step up from the Td5 in terms of comfort and performance. The 90 in particular is quite pokey, and I do love driving it (nobody else does though). It has substantially more torque than my usual Td5 Disco, giving relatively good acceleration between 30-70mph.

I wouldn't get a Disco 3 again. Off road, it is not a patch on the Td5 Disco.

Baldrick .

I run a td5 disco and think they are the nuts of road ,the traction controll is fabulous . But i think i had a look at the altermate disco a couple of days ago , it was the last td5 made and was called the metropolis . A really ,really high speck jobby . But what attracted me to it more than any thing was that it had a manual diff lock as well as traction control .

Harnser .

Baldrick .

I run a td5 disco and think they are the nuts of road ,the traction controll is fabulous . But i think i had a look at the altermate disco a couple of days ago , it was the last td5 made and was called the metropolis . A really ,really high speck jobby . But what attracted me to it more than any thing was that it had a manual diff lock as well as traction control .

Harnser .

Difflock is the one thing lacking from my Td5 Disco that I really need. We're on London clay here in Essex, and it gets very greasy during winter. The problem with the high-spec Td5s is the air suspension, and associated reliability issues. I much prefer the coil springs on my bog-standard Td5.

Al, it may not impress you much, but I watched a 110 TDCi tow a (broken-down) tractor and grain trailer across a farm yard in an emergency situation today. The Landy is rated for towing up to 3,500kg, but shifted >12,000kg fairly easily in low range and with a bit of welly (the clutch survived).

Compare that to a Nissan Navara, which cannot even pull a combine header and trailer.

We also thought a 35' header and trailer would be within a Navara's limits, but seemingly not. It took two new clutches to reach that conclusion.

I hadn't seen the Touareg video, but that is seriously impressive, and makes the exploits of our Defender look rather paltry. But then they lack 5.7-litre diesel engines...

We also thought a 35' header and trailer would be within a Navara's limits, but seemingly not. It took two new clutches to reach that conclusion.

I hadn't seen the Touareg video, but that is seriously impressive, and makes the exploits of our Defender look rather paltry. But then they lack 5.7-litre diesel engines...

I reckon the defender would do it once in low range with plenty of grip its only the force needed to get it rolling and the pulling power is immense. bet you do a defender clutch shortly if you're abusing them like the Navaras :hmm:

I reckon the defender would do it once in low range with plenty of grip its only the force needed to get it rolling and the pulling power is immense. bet you do a defender clutch shortly if you're abusing them like the Navaras :hmm:

Yes, it is only a question of time. But they are working vehicles, and we don't begrudge necessary repairs.