Lessons

dazlindazza

I have been thinking about taking lessons at my local clay ground in the hope of improving my scores on a sunday, but have always been put off by the cost of them.

I am now in a position to be able to afford an hour, maybe two hours of lessons, but before I go and spend £70 for each hour I want to know whether just an hour can actually make any difference or whether I shouldn't bother unless I can afford to do a whole course of lessons.

hour lessons are really just for the complete novice to give them the basic ideas of what and how. you really need longer just for you and the instructor to get to see how you shoot.

£70 an hour is a bit on the up side so shop around, you should be able to get a half day for £100 for 3 hours.

Edited by beretta

I'd say talk to as many other shooters as possible to find someone who can really connect with the student. So many instructors, whether it be golf, shooting or fly casting, are only standing there saying, "...no, you're not doing it like I am...do it agian" A true fluency in teaching a motor skill is not common, so do some homework or you'll feel like you just dropped your days allowance for the carnival at the first stand. If you get a great lesson, you'll want more.

Pete

I have been thinking about taking lessons at my local clay ground in the hope of improving my scores on a sunday, but have always been put off by the cost of them.

I am now in a position to be able to afford an hour, maybe two hours of lessons, but before I go and spend £70 for each hour I want to know whether just an hour can actually make any difference or whether I shouldn't bother unless I can afford to do a whole course of lessons.

Even a couple of hours with a good coach can make a difference as it is essential that someone shows you the correct way to start shooting .

Bad habits aquired at the start of your shooting career could stop you ever reaching your true potential .

Follow the recommendations of people you trust to find the right coach for you and plan to take several lessons , spread out if finance dictates .

hour lessons are really just for the complete novice to give them the basic ideas of what and how. you really need longer just for you and the instructor to get to see how you shoot.

Nonsence!! A good instructor can pick up faults after watching you shoot a half dozen different clays.

Even experienced shots benefit from a little sharpening now and then.

After an hour's lesson there'll be a lot to take on board - even if it is just putting minor things into pratice it'll take time for them to become second nature. Try a single lesson and see how you get on - you'll know if you can get any more out of it, but don't rush back for a second lesson straight away - give it time for everything to sink it.

:lol:

I have regular 1 hour lessons with Carl Bloxham which are about £50 a time.

They are the best £50 a time I have ever spent, he picks up and corrects and problems and explains things in such an easy way.

Really nice bloke and a great shooter too. I started having lessons with another local coach and ground owner but he was not so easy to get on with.

If you find a good one stick with him.

cushat.

the guy is going for his first lesson, i doubt he would learn much, if its refresher lessons an hour is fine but not at the start. (my opinion)

carl bloxham, steve nutbeam and andy harvison are the only guys i personally would go to if i had any problems. :lol:

A good coach will be able to teach you more in an hour than a bad coach can in a month :lol:

My recommendation would be to find a good coach and then get yourself booked in for as many lessons as you feel appropriate.

When i first started out i booked a block of 6 x 1hr lessons for £300 down at Manchester Clay Shooting Club, spreading the lessons out over 2-3 months taking them whenever time permitted. Whilst i was free to book the lessons whenever i wanted they couldn't guarantee that it would be with the same instructor, so i chose to bide my time and stick with teh same instructor (Ian Corrigan) for the duration of my lessons. Well worth it IMO :lol:

After an initial phase of trying to take on everything that i was shown/advised the instructor suggested that i should get out and shoot and come back for refresher lessons in the future whenever i thought i required them.

Have since had more lessons with Ian as well as exploring the possibilities of more advanced lessons with Roger Hill, Carl Bloxham and other established shooters/shooting coaches.

Good luck! :lol:

As a coach I personally feel 1hr slots are to short. For a good briefing and debriefing you need appreciable time, and then the lesson content needs to be both investigative ( existing style and faults), and long enough to be corrective. It takes time and repetitive work to move a change from the conscious to the sub conscious where it becomes automatic.

In short hour slots you can often achieve a conscious fix, only to loose the work when you next shoot as its not yet automatic.

Half day lesson are relaxed, have all the time needs, and represent better value to the shooter.

A typical lesson with an established average shooter might be:

Discussion about existing shooting, style and problems and lesson objectives.

A look at the customers gun, and matters arising - condition, suitability, cleaning etc.

Eye testing, static gun fit, mount and stance.

Discussion about knowledge of shoot ground etiquette, and practical lesson on gun handling etc if needed.

To the range, and investigation of knowledge of shooting styles and those in use.

Teaching all the styles that suit the pupil and correcting knowledge of existing shooting styles if needed ( Pull away ( method); controlled swing thru; smoke trail/Churchill; move-mount-shoot ( Biddy); maintained lead ; and ambush.

Competence on gun up and gun down, and lesson as needed.

After a break and mid lesson briefing

On to sporting or discipline specific targets to suit client's needs.

Debrief

I see this as a three hour lesson, with about 2hrs shooting in it, typically over 100 targets, but less for a novice.

Trying to deliver all this in one hour slots is difficult, and the results are not as good in my view.

I'd advise steering away from 1hr slots and go for longer sessions. Group sessions are very worthwhile, 2-3 together benefit from the coaching applied to others in the group, and there is usually a good economy per head if you work this way. Get a mate or two and book a 1/2 day sharing costs.

Also, consider if your purpose is technical instruction ( as is the lesson format above) or true coaching which assumes you know HOW to shoot and what you are looking for is the edge. This comes from goal setting, concentration, visualisation etc etc, and a different set of coaching skills are needed.

On the technical side most work is not in fixing a specific "problem" target, but fixing underlying style of shooting problems. Smoothness and economy of movement together with an understanding of target analysis and sight pictures will cure most problems by default - so the coach will work on the REASONS for the problem rather than the problem itself. The result should be the problems are self curing, and the pupil becomes self analytical, ie with enough knowledge to understand why a shot is not working and apply a correction. When this stage is reached, they are ready for the other type of coaching, which hones the technical abilities to maximise the shooter's potential.

Edited by clayman

When I first started I had a couple of 1 hour lessons shooting 25 and then 50 clays (skeet).

I really enjoyed them and couldn't wait for the next one.

They gave me a good insight and set me up nicely with the basics and the ability to break a few clays.

I had a lesson a couple of weeks ago shooting sporting just to correct a few faults, it was a couple of hours shooting different stands, a bit of skeet and a bit of standing watching others. A very enjoyable experience that I feel I got a lot out of.

The first lessons to me were a good grounding to the sport but the longer lesson shooting the same amount of clays gave me more knowledge and a better understanding of what I was trying to do.