What do you think is the best fox shooting caliber  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best fox shooting caliber

• .22 Hornet
    • .22-250
    • .220 swift
    • .17 HMR
    • .22 WMR

Nicely written S2 , and your absolutley right ,the right training in any situation is paramount , to develop the nessasary skill takes time, patience and percerverance ,something that a lot of people dont have ,this is why many shots are taken with out a thought or a care , this is where the ability to know your limitations comes in , it should be made clear to newer shooters that the "long shots" for want of a better word, should not be taken on live quarry ,until you've prooven your ability ,go to a range and practice safely .

Martin

• 5 years later...
My god...talk about being baffled by science. I was always taught that fieldcraft and stalking skills, getting close to your quarry or getting the quarry close to you was the primary aim. Some of you guys (if your not b*** s*******) should be shooting for Britain at those ranges. Maybe some of you do for all I know but isn't it asking for trouble shooting quarry out at those ranges in this li'l ol' country of ours??? You might be a terrific shot but doesn't a clean (safe) kill at 100yds make for a better sportsman than one at 300/500/or more, even if it is safe!

Right on brother! Under a lamp I have never shot past 300yards, I always

practice a few longer efforts after zeroing the gun so if the situation demands

a longer effort I can take it on - however most of my shots are normally around

the 150 yard mark at night ( the last 2/3 foxes were more like 70yards!)

I use 243 now, just because it's a good all rounder - can take red with ease very

very occasionally, but mainly a fox gun - I'm happy with it!

Hi,

I can't help thinking that it's horses for courses so that the choice of calibre is an individual requirement. It would be interesting to find out honestly just exactly at what range bracket the vast majority of foxes are actually shot.

Being dead crafty, it's lucky foxes don't/can't shoot back so we don't need a weapon, just a sporting rifle.

Cheers

No such thing as a 'best' calibre.

All depends on where you are, how far you need to shoot, how much noise you can make, etc.

If there are no other concerns except making a bloody great hole in it, then 243 is the tool of choice. It's faster, flatter and less wind-affected than 22-250 if you use the right bullet, and packs another 400 ft/lbs energy at the muzzle.

But here's a thing - who shoots so many 350+ yard foxes that 243 justified solely for it? Few I expect... 243 is a great all rounder, which is why I sold mine - I could never make my mind up whether it was killing deer or fox this week, so it hardly got used.

I have hornet, 222 and 223. I like the 222 as it's a mid-point, but I mainly got it just to have a play, and it was a 500 quid new T3 in an era when they're 700 quid...

Simple fact is all the centrefires work on Charlie, and if you need to kill fox near people or animals, you DON'T want a dirty great big cannon to do it with.

So to the OP - if your Hornet isn't giving you the reach you want and there are no other considerations to worry about, then get a bigger gun, no problem. Foxes will be equally dead, but you will spend more on ammo (or components) to achieve that result. The key point is with practice, you can then shoot from a very long way away.

To that end, my choice would be either 22-250 or 223 - I like the 243 and it worked, but the level of powder it took was unnecessary in my circumstance.

223 for the reason i have one and its accounted for many a fox in the short time i have been shooting and only now am i upgrading caliber to 260Ai for all my shooting and stalking.

I love all this 1" high @ 100yds is bob on at 200 :good: (have you check ' 200yds to confirm this?)

Why not zero your rifle bang on @ 100yds, move target out to 200yds and see how much adjustment is needed (moa clicks mil rad etc)

In the day i leave it on 100yd zero, i use my "range finder" find the "exact" distance (not guess it) and dial in my scope for the distance required then take the shot, this is if i was out static shooting and could take my time on a shot.

At night i put on a 200yd zero which on my rifle, scope and ammo set up is 1.25moa (1.25") and generally point and shoot from 0yds out to 250 yds, anything further than that we move in closer or re position as 200+yds and night in the lamp is a loooong way :lol:

its a big question and everyone will say its the gun they have, however discount all the small playtime calibers and really the best is the 22.250 both in terms of punch and flat shooting, .243 is a close second and .223 is the budget choice following up the rear.

Topic started 2005, please let it die ?

Sssshhhh! This is interesting and I wasn't here the first time it was aired! :good:

I read through the whole lot of this and I think Mr Logic has just managed to save me from the most stressful decision ever! He is right, there are just too many variables - land, noise, range, cost.... The list goes on.

I've been sitting here thinking Hornet? .223? .243? I don't know! Just recently I've found that the .243 is a stunning round for anything long range. The drop is next to nothing, it will turn anything Fox sized to mush and delivers the power with a very satisfying boom! On the other hand my all time love for the Hornet is kicking in here. You don't have to take half mile shots to have a good night out and the Hornet is a great balance of power, price and mildness. It delives more than enough authority to put down a Fox out to 200 yards and to be quite honest I can count the number I have taken past that range with any of my guns on one hand. Usually my shots are taken at under 125 yards and for that the Hornet is wonderful.

If I had to vote for one........ Sorry, I can't do it!