.223 or .22-250

madmanx

I am just getting round to getting my variation form filled in for a new gun,but i am undecided as to which calibre to go for.It will be mainly used for foxing but i have the occasional roe deer on my land.i understand that there are new regs coming in as to shooting of deer in england to bring it in line with scotland ,also is there any point in fitting a moderator to either calibre and if so why?.Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated and suggestions of which gun make to go for would also a great help,thank you Steve(I have up to £650 to spend on gun) :lol:

Why not get a .243. It will do anything the 22-250 will and is already deer-legal.

A Tikka T3 will set you back @ the money you have to spend, and will give you a nice rifle into the bargain.

A moderator will make the initial report much quieter, although you can’t do anything about the sonic crack of the bullet as it flies through the air. It will help to keep the recoil down as well.

They look bloody awful though (well that’s my opinion). :lol:

G.M.

i would secound gemini's opinion, if you want a good foxer and want to be able to do deer (although not reds) the 243 is a great choice,

but as allways 6.5 must be considered, its alot more powder thirsty, but in my opinion if you need 1 gun its the best choice, excelet foxer, and big enough to take on a red at sensible distances

Even with the new proposals for deer and calibres in England the only deer affected are Muntys and Chinese Water Deer, so it would seem .243 is the way to go. Agree with comments regardinging Tikka and if you want a mod on a stalking rifle get the lightest you can or you will regret it after carrying it for any length of time.

I shoot a .243 tikka 595 DL, wood stock standard barrel, ive had it for 8 years and use it for roe and foxes, its an excelent rifle. If you go for factory ammo, (federal 100gr) which i use for every thing i get superb accuracy. I am thinking of getting started on homeloading but at this stage not sure how much it will cost to get kitted out, so my advice is go for the .243.

I’ve been using 70 grn Spitzer’s through my .243 for fox. I was thinking of using 55 grn but I’m a bit reluctant to start pushing ultra-high velocities through my barrel. Can’t afford to burn the thing out too quickly.

I am setting up at the moment to reload some 100 grn soft nose for deer. Anyone got a favourite load? :lol:

G.M.