look round the farm today rape allmost ready to spray off

Harnser

Had a drive round the farm today and saw two fields of rape just about ready for spraying off . The pods well formed and the seed showing through the pods . Looking in the pods and the seed just turning black . I guess about anothe week and they will spray it off and harvest about a week later . Hopefully will be on the rape stubble in the next two weeks .

What was interesting was i saw about 20 bull finches feeding on top of the rape . They were perched on top of the stalks and filling their boots . Keep your eyes open boys as the rape stubble shooting is not far away .

Harnser .

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its still atleast 3 weeks round me or so i have been told by the farmers some of my rape has only just started to flower the farmers are not happy as some are so far behind . The winter barley is now looking really good and will be cut just after some of the rape and i cant wait ! :lol:

Its still atleast 3 weeks round me or so i have been told by the farmers some of my rape has only just started to flower the farmers are not happy as some are so far behind . The winter barley is now looking really good and will be cut just after some of the rape and i cant wait ! :lol:

yeah its about the same around me tom but we have one big field of rape with loads of bull finchesso i dont think it will be too long now

No rape on any of my land :blink:

Wheat and barley as far as the eye can see. Obviously I dont wish it on my farmer chums, but should any of the barley get lodged this year I'll be out there like a shot! I have woodie withdrawal symptoms!

ZB

As i expected ,i talked to my farmer friend yesterday and he said that they will be spraying the rape off next week some time . He said that he will be combining barley before the rape as a lot of the barley is just about fit . Hopefully i will be shooting some stubble at the latter part of next week . I love stubble shooting . the first outing on fresh cut barley or rape is allways something special . But then i am a simple country boy who is easily pleased .

Harnser

We're about two weeks behind you Baldrick, and the Lexions have been replaced by John Deere 630's this year.

I've saw one JD combine (a C670i) operating in Essex last harvest, operated by a local contractor. Other than that lonely (but very capable) example, JD combines seem pretty rare.

What was interesting was i saw about 20 bull finches feeding on top of the rape.They were perched on top of the stalks and filling their boots .

Last week while walking my dog around a nearby field (not where i shoot i must add) i watched hundreds of starlings doing excally the same Harnser.It was a bizzare sight seeing so many and as i carried on walking-all i could see was more and more arriving.

I've saw one JD combine (a C670i) operating in Essex last harvest, operated by a local contractor. Other than that lonely (but very capable) example, JD combines seem pretty rare.

They are fairly popular around here, but we do have a JD main dealer 3 miles down the road so that may have something to do with it as spares

and servicing are very easy to arrange.

Mossy, it's odd how rare Claas is as a brand outside of Europe. We run a pair of Lexion 580+ (one on tracks) with 35' headers, but even they look very puny compared to the custom-made 61' header some Aussie farmer has knocked up for his Lexion (shown on Farmers Weekly website). But then his yields are probably peaking at 2t/ac...

I watched a New Holland CR9090 on test last summer in south Essex. It was very impressive. But I'd still go for Claas.

We are hoping to get our combine in the field by the end of the week depending on the weather but all is looking good so far :lol:

We used to use class (lexion 480) but we now only use John Deere (tractor and combines) the only other make we use is Case (we have got 2 quad tracks). But for combines we only use John Deere because we have found they work better.

Most of the farms round me use New Holland combines and there is only 2 lexions and 3 smaller class combines.

Crikey, David, you are very early down there. The scorching weather has pushed our spraying to the end of this week at the earliest.

We ran a Quadtrac for two years, and whilst it is the most impressive machine, reliability issues led us to ditch it in favour of a JD 9530T and a Claas Xerion 3800. We still run a Challenger. There are, however, a lot more Quadtracs than there are Xerions and tracked JDs, particularly in Essex.

We have been lucky this year with our rape, but the farm that I shoot will be swathing their rape this week, so alll is busy round my area.

A farm down the road from mine has a class Challenger

Peldon Hall has a couple of Cat Challengers

There are 2 Tracked JD's (one is an 8420t not sure on the other)

Then our 2 Quad Tracks, they do work well and we have not had any probs yet with them.

We are looking into getting an JD 8530T at the end of the harvest but we will see what happens.

our quad track

n1071853571_108618_7092.jpg

JD

n1071853571_160186_6861.jpg

Cat

n1071853571_160441_1419.jpg

Class

n1071853571_160455_6188.jpg

What are the JD 9530T and a Claas Xerion 3800 like to use?

Have you any probs with them yet or not?

Edited by MerseaDavid

Both the JD and the Xerion are very well-behaved, with no major reliability issues, after a year in service. I am not a great fan of the JD, preferring the rather quirky Xerion, primarily because it is extremely manouevrable, and good for roadwork. We got a lot of odd looks for using a Xerion for tillage work, but it has performed very well. The pivot cab feature is wonderful for mowing and forestry work (the linkage accepts a grab).

We have been lucky this year with our rape, but the farm that I shoot will be swathing their rape this week, so alll is busy round my area.

A farm down the road from mine has a class Challenger

Peldon Hall has a couple of Cat Challengers

There are 2 Tracked JD's (one is an 8420t not sure on the other)

Then our 2 Quad Tracks, they do work well and we have not had any probs yet with them.

We are looking into getting an JD 8530T at the end of the harvest but we will see what happens.

our quad track

n1071853571_108618_7092.jpg

JD

n1071853571_160186_6861.jpg

Cat

n1071853571_160441_1419.jpg

Class

n1071853571_160455_6188.jpg

What are the JD 9530T and a Claas Xerion 3800 like to use?

Have you any probs with them yet or not?

the pictures are great.nice one david.we have 3 cat challengers over there and they are great two drive go on for ever, cant wait till october.