look round the farm today rape allmost ready to spray off

Harnser

Wont be far behind whitebridges . Us Norfolk boys can give them tractor boys a head start and still shoot more than them ,thats for sure .

Harnser .

:blush::blush: Them ******* are half asleep most of the time. We'll he ta show 'em whats what agin Harnser. Wake up Swedes!

Edited by Whitebridges

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice swather, is it warm in there. :blink:

Be a while before it is fit to pick up with the combine though.

Sprayed my rape off today with 2 litres/ha Amega Duo and 0.75l/ha Spryte. Be ready to combine direct in about 14 days depending on how hot the weather stays.

Neighbours are all starting barley next week.

Silly season is upon us once again.

maybe a little off topic but how much oil do you get to an acre of OSR? Just something that has been going through my mind when i have been walking the fields.

Dan,

There are a lot of variables involved, such as the variety of OSR used, quality of agronomy advice, seeding rate, disease, weather, pest damage, ineffective combining etc.

We usually grow Castille, a short, stumpy but fairly hardy variety of OSR, and the seeds are approximately 43% oil content by weight. Our yields are typically around 1.8 to 2.1 tons per acre in average/good conditions. Therefore we'd hope to produce a fraction about 860kg of oil per acre (just over 2 tons of oil per hectare). But I stress that is in good conditions - a bout of heavy rain at the wrong time can shatter all the seed pods and hammer one's yields.

Had a look around today and was a bit dissapointed as the rape has not been sprayed off yet . Has been to wet and windy to get the sprayer out . The barley will definately be first for harvest on my farms and hopefully should be starting this week .

Just a point of interest , I saw some very small ducklings , or what I thought were ducklings on a flash pond in the middle of a spud field . They were about half the size of fresh hatched mallards and were a very dark brown colour although two of them were a much lighter colour there were ten in all . Any ideas what they are . I suspect teal or widgeon .

Harnser .

Had a look around today and was a bit dissapointed as the rape has not been sprayed off yet . Has been to wet and windy to get the sprayer out . The barley will definately be first for harvest on my farms and hopefully should be starting this week .

Just a point of interest , I saw some very small ducklings , or what I thought were ducklings on a flash pond in the middle of a spud field . They were about half the size of fresh hatched mallards and were a very dark brown colour although two of them were a much lighter colour there were ten in all . Any ideas what they are . I suspect teal or widgeon .

Harnser .

I would guess teal :hmm:

Hanser , teal ducklings are very similar to small mallard ducklings in colour. Wigeon ducklings are very dark with a slight ginger tinge. Gadwall or shoveller are a possibility and again like mallard youngsters but slightly smaller.. The final option could be tufted and they are sooty coloured and about the same size as mallard ducklings. You say there were a couple of light ones. Thats very uncommon with any species apart from mallard. No chance they could be small decoy call duck young is there. I would expect a variety of colours with them.

Wigeon are a scarce breeder in your area and often nest far from water. I used to have a female that nested every year in a dry pit hole behind my garden at least 1\2 a mile from and water in the Wensum Valley.

The rape is a long way from being fit to cut on my farms and I think it will be August before they start on it. I have been off work for the last month following an opperation fir to start shooting now though. Looking around my fields plenty of pigeon feeding in the tramlines of winter wheat , but cant touch them as I would be unable to retrieve the birds without damaging the crop even with a dog and there is no point in shooting birds you cant pick up.

Edited by anser2

after the rape is sprayed, approx how long before its cut?

It depends what it was sprayed with.

If it was glyphosate ( roundup ) then 14-21 days, there are others such as harvest which act quicker, maybe 10 days.

The weather also has a lot to do with it as well, hot and sunny then it works quicker, dull and damp slower.

Hope this helps.