CLEAN SHOT - ADVICE

jamie1

head everytime. why do you post these pointless meaning less posts ? i mean it really gets on my wick. it would of taken you a couple of secounds just to search on here or google or anywhere for a matter of fact. for most quarry. its headshots only. preferences on heart shots for squizzers an rabbits but thats up to you. i mean do you even have a gun that has sufficient power to kill ? do you even have a permission ? can you comfortabley hit a 1 inch group at 25 - 30 yrds. please dont take this the wrong way. but all the questions you ask are so obvious. i would be happy to help through pm or whatever i no enough to get by. but just stop glogging up the forum. its starting to **** me right off !.

please dont take this the wrong way. ... its starting to **** me right off !.

How else is this supposed to be taken? :hmm:

head everytime. ...can you comfortabley hit a 1 inch group at 25 - 30 yrds.

Don't recall the last time I saw a pigeon with a 1" head... perhaps they grow 'em big where you are! :/

preferences on heart shots for squizzers an rabbits but thats up to you

But now you take headshots on bunnies whose heads are well within capability. But then I suppose you're an ex-forces sniper who never duffs a shot!?

I don't know you from Adam, but if I heard you speak to someone like this I'd tell you to wind your neck back in.

Pigeons can be taken with a clean shot from the back between the shoulders. Front shots are a risk as the crop is often full of stuff and the breast bone is angled so chances of a clean kill are minimal.

Head shots are not risk free either, despite what others say. A duffed shot can destroy a beak and the bird will starve to death.

Edited by Milligan

head everytime. why do you post these pointless meaning less posts ? i mean it really gets on my wick. it would of taken you a couple of secounds just to search on here or google or anywhere for a matter of fact. for most quarry. its headshots only. preferences on heart shots for squizzers an rabbits but thats up to you. i mean do you even have a gun that has sufficient power to kill ? do you even have a permission ? can you comfortabley hit a 1 inch group at 25 - 30 yrds. please dont take this the wrong way. but all the questions you ask are so obvious. i would be happy to help through pm or whatever i no enough to get by. but just stop glogging up the forum. its starting to **** me right off !.

Bobbo ,

I think if somebody asks a genuine question or seeks simple advice then we as forum members who may have the answer should post ,and try to help . Not try to make the person look a fool . Just my observations . I just might say that i would concider my self an experianced pigeon shooter with a shot gun ,but a compleat novice using an air rifle and if i wanted to shoot pigeons with an air rifle i would be asking some pretty basic questions .

Harnser

Bobbo ,

I think if somebody asks a genuine question or seeks simple advice then we as forum members who may have the answer should post ,and try to help . Not try to make the person look a fool . Just my observations . I just might say that i would concider my self an experianced pigeon shooter with a shot gun ,but a compleat novice using an air rifle and if i wanted to shoot pigeons with an air rifle i would be asking some pretty basic questions .

Harnser

thanks i only ask these questions when i need to find the anwser and i thought pigeon watch was a place to get tips and advice from i learn near enough something new everday from hear it might be not your type of post to be looking at if your a more experinced gunman but i have been shooting for like 2 weeks that's why i have so many posts to find some advice and mabey you are a more experienced gunman but that's why i come here to find advice, tips and basic questions beacuse mabey most of the experinced gunman on here are happy to anwser these questions to start begginers off :/

thanks i only ask these questions when i need to find the anwser and i thought pigeon watch was a place to get tips and advice from i learn near enough something new everday from hear it might be not your type of post to be looking at if your a more experinced gunman but i have been shooting for like 2 weeks that's why i have so many posts to find some advice and mabey you are a more experienced gunman but that's why i come here to find advice, tips and basic questions beacuse mabey most of the experinced gunman on here are happy to anwser these questions to start begginers off :/
Jamie ,

A simple piece of advice is not to use the term gunman on the forum . Shooter ,or gun is more suitable .

Best of luck harnser .

Edited by Harnser

You're only going to learn by asking! :lol: Good on you :hmm:

i replied to his post and gave him advice ? i cant be the only one who has seen his pointless points an context ? so your saying a pigeons head is not within an inch ? suppose its .5 of an inch from brain to top of skull an the same to the bottom were it joins the neck? ive given his beginers advice ? headshots ftk. its just annoys me. that he has said in previous posts he doesnt have permision and has only just obtained a gun. well said that he had a gun. then drifted off to saying he was getting a lightning, learn your practise in the field an teach yourself its the best way to learn an gain experience im not the best at english. an make mistakes because i type extra fast when im ****** off. but come on.

Jamie Im not going to lie I don't know **** all about shooting pigeons with air rifles and am reasonably new to pigeon shooting myself and have asked some 'newbie' questions in my time on the forum but i am not going to lie here you have done what must be the best part of 10-20 posts on which gun to get when to be honest one would have easily sufficed and that has got on my nerves as well :/ so maybe stop all the needless double posts yes? and don't worry about what may be blatant questions you have to learn some time but please stop it with all the what must be called repeat posts please.

George

With the spread of pellets the hits should be scattered all over the body , head abd wings, Impossible to make a clean shot to hit just one part of the body.

You're only going to learn by asking! :lol: Good on you :/

IN THE HEAD :hmm:

why cant you just be like these and dont get annoyed it's just advice?

Jamie, you do ask a lot of repeated questions, despite being told more than once about the search facility, so don't be surprised by a few guys getting wound up by it.

In answer to your question though, it is indeed a head shot you'll be wanting. However, you should not do more than think about it until you have put in a lot of hours/days/weeks or however long it takes to learn to shoot at paper or other targets first.

My honest advice to you right now is to go and buy a book called Total Airguns by Pete Wadeson, and read it thoroughly. Whatever you do, leave the live quarry alone for now, until you have read and learned and PRACTISED what you will read in that book.

Jamie, you do ask a lot of repeated questions, despite being told more than once about the search facility, so don't be surprised by a few guys getting wound up by it.

In answer to your question though, it is indeed a head shot you'll be wanting. However, you should not do more than think about it until you have put in a lot of hours/days/weeks or however long it takes to learn to shoot at paper or other targets first.

My honest advice to you right now is to go and buy a book called Total Airguns by Pete Wadeson, and read it thoroughly. Whatever you do, leave the live quarry alone for now, until you have read and learned and PRACTISED what you will read in that book.

Sound advice Jamie .

Harnser .

thankyou john r. some on that understands. although jamie has pm'ed and told me he has shot 38 pigeons but does not know were to hit them. an has no permision. also he has shot rabbits. but in a post before im sure he said he didnt think his gun was up to it. whats that not pigeon or rabbit its bull. ****.

groah123 = ledgend.

If you do manage to shoot a pigeon, try plucking every feather off it. Then you'll get a better idea of where to place your shot.

As you'll see, the head really is tiny, and the bit you need to get a clean kill is smaller still.

As mentioned already, it depends on how the bird is positioned in relation to you, and how far you are away. The distance for a clean kill will really be down to your confidence and marksmanship. Don't forget that the POI will change if you're shooting upwards.

Personally, a neck shot just above the crop or a heart shot through (or under) the wing is the best.

thankyou john r. some on that understands. although jamie has pm'ed and told me he has shot 38 pigeons but does not know were to hit them. an has no permision. also he has shot rabbits. but in a post before im sure he said he didnt think his gun was up to it. whats that not pigeon or rabbit its bull. ****.

groah123 = ledgend.

mate i did have permission as the farmer is my dad's mate also why carry on being mad just enjoy yourself i thought this was a place of advice and tips for begginners to experts but dont matter ill keep reading books and watching dvd's

i tell you what is the agression for when someone asks a question? how the ******* hell is any body suppose to improve and get better with out asking these silly and point less questions as has been stated. i thought we as guns on a site like this would help new and unexperienced shooters. i know if you spoke to me like that i would put you in your place i am not a brilliant shot but if i can help some one on certain things then i am more then happy to help. so wind your bloody necks in with the nastieness and have some ******* patience. as for kills if you are using a air rifle then i have found that a chest shot makes a clean kill on pigeons and mainly birds as a head shot on rabbits and hares is best. if you on a shotgun then it hard to tell as the shot is widely spread. and ignore the grumpy ***** who cant be ***** to help and give you a gob full.