.303 Shotgun

Chris Bb

Have seen an advert for a mk 4 .303 smoothbore. I guess it's an ex military rifle which has been bored out as it is on an SGC. Advert says it come with .303 shotgun ammunition, where on earth would this come from, I thought 410 was the smallest shotgun (apart from 9mm "garden guns" of which I have no knowledge).

If it wasn't such a long way from Hampshire to Scotland I'd be very tempted, just out of curiosty.

Anybody heard of such a beast before?

Hi.

The .303 would be rebored to remove the rifleing from the barrel and the chamber also rebored(not a lot) to accept the 410 cartridge this was, quite a common configuration in past years.

All I can say is it is a heavy weapon to carry around just to shoot 410 catridges. :lol:

Regards. Willie.

.303 smooth bore shotguns have just had the rifleing removed so that they can be held on a shotgun certificate the mag will also have to be pined to hold no more than 2 cartriges .These guns are popular with reenactors as they will fire .303 blanks

An rfd in derby used to make 303 calibre shotshell ammunition they were called R I F L E (Regional Instoration of firearms Little Eaton), They also did most of the smoothboring of military firearms ie: 7.62/303 etc.

The ammunition was made using empty vet's horse capsules with 175 grains of shot in them over the original powder charge with a small piece of dacron as wadding to protect the capsule on firing and then given a heavy crimp.

Some MK 4's were made by Holland and Holland during the war - or so I have been told. This being the case you might pick up a .410 H&H for a song.

I think they were the sniper version of the Mk4? I think they took the most accurate barrelled rifles from the factory and restocked them.