What's the Best Choking for clays?

It's good for everyone,

you get to put names to faces, possibly meet people that you start to shoot with on a regular basis.

The scores don't matter, (North usually fix the scoresheet anyway ;))

The scores over the years have ranged from 96 as a high to 10 as a low

Only the top ten scores from each side count towards the total so don't think that you will spoil anyones chances of winning,

Come along, it's a grand day out :good:

:shaun:

Sorted that for you 😚😗

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a very useful guide ... and very similar to the thinking that I employ .....

Recognising the differences on how much clay you can see, the role of shot size, and if it's dome v belly etc .....

No substitute for putting you're gun in the right place though ;)

Ahhh the guide.

Don't you just chuckle at the dimensions, clays in mm, distances in yards, choke constrictions in....oh it does not say....assume inches It's so confusing.

And where's the 60mm mini clay.... :unhappy:...ahhh there it is, as usual I did not see it.

Clay shooting will become golf like. Shooters carrying around their charts, some may have caddies to hand them the right choke, cartridge or gun, pencils in hand, pacing it out. I can see it now....3 days to shoot 10 stands.

Edited by B25Modelman

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at the French Compak champs near Bordeaux last year I choked down to skeet and quarter in 7 of the 8 layouts and still did a 186 ex 200, in fact my worst score was on the one layout that I stuck with quarter / 3/8..and on the simmo pairs there were a good few longish birds, but they broke OK with quarter, I suppose it's what you have confidence in, as you well know, shooting is a mental game..!

Cat.

Hi

Please can you advise where the Compak course is, i will be near Bordeaux in the summer and may have time for a shoot if i can borrow a gun.

Thanks

Think its what you get used to and how much you go shooting I started last year on 1/4 and 1/2 this year I decided to go 1/2 and 3/4 and change to keeping both my eyes open and I have to say so far I am doing good feels better than when I had my easy hit sight on.

Just keep bashing the clays and remember foot work is vital

Good luck and enjoy

• 1 year later...

I mainly use 3/8 & 1/2 in my clay gun as some shoots put some long stuff Edge on and you need a bit more tight pattern to break. Most courses I've shot more than 90% of the clays could be shot with skeet chokes. 1/4 & 1/2 was always recommended for sporting clays.

Try the most open chokes you have, until you get better. I sometimes in practise put full choke in only to see exactly where I'm going on some targets I been chipping. Let's you play with lead untill you get it centred and see what it required.

Sunday just gone shot a local sportrap comp and I had lots of chippy breaks but had only dropped a few targets going onto the last layout not the best way to break them but all count. Totally cocked up the last layout and ruined my card no type of choke could make any difference to my score that day. When you read them wrong we tend to miss by a good margin. Changing chokes in comp just gives your mind something else to think about.

Go out and see how you shoot with various chokes and enjoy yourself.

I mainly use 3/8 & 1/2 in my clay gun as some shoots put some long stuff Edge on and you need a bit more tight pattern to break. Most courses I've shot more than 90% of the clays could be shot with skeet chokes. 1/4 & 1/2 was always recommended for sporting clays.

Try the most open chokes you have, until you get better. I sometimes in practise put full choke in only to see exactly where I'm going on some targets I been chipping. Let's you play with lead untill you get it centred and see what it required.

Sunday just gone shot a local sportrap comp and I had lots of chippy breaks but had only dropped a few targets going onto the last layout not the best way to break them but all count. Totally cocked up the last layout and ruined my card no type of choke could make any difference to my score that day. When you read them wrong we tend to miss by a good margin. Changing chokes in comp just gives your mind something else to think about.

Go out and see how you shoot with various chokes and enjoy yourself.

A very honest post figgy, some days it matter little what you do, it's just going to be one of them days.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevo

This year I'm stepping away from trap shooting and going to have a go at something I always wanted to try ..... fitasc and sportrap and I will be using my fixed 3/4 and full beretta 692 trap gun. Will report back on my findings.

This year I'm stepping away from trap shooting and going to have a go at something I always wanted to try ..... fitasc and sportrap and I will be using my fixed 3/4 and full beretta 692 trap gun. Will report back on my findings.

Let me predict for you Stevo ... "smoked some, chipped some, missed some ... " :yes:

I'll be doing a bit similar this year too ... might see you at Grimsthorpe .. ?

Guest stevo

Let me predict for you Stevo ... "smoked some, chipped some, missed some ... " :yes:

I'll be doing a bit similar this year too ... might see you at Grimsthorpe .. ?

Yeah sounds about right. But I only have the trap gun at min until my new one comes 😜

Stevo you will either look like Digweeds shooting ir Duckweeds behind the butt. That is far to tight for sportrap company etc. But ok for some FITASC but whatever gives you confidence go with.

What's wrong with your Trap shooting? Thought you were going for Gold in next Olympics.

Another new gun Stevo bet your RFD invites you to dine with his family. Let me guess a Beretta high rib auto for all disciplines.

Edited by figgy

Guest stevo

Stevo you will either look like Digweeds shooting ir Duckweeds behind the butt. That is far to tight for sportrap company etc. But ok for some FITASC but whatever gives you confidence go with.

What's wrong with your Trap shooting? Thought you were going for Gold in next Olympics.

Another new gun Stevo bet your RFD invites you to dine with his family. Let me guess a Beretta high rib auto for all disciplines.

Haha the only rings I will get to see Figgy are on the front of my Audi 😂👍

Sent you a pm Figgy

Edited by stevo