****** Bites!

robmiller

Well i currently have two hand that look like a cross between jeremy beadles and shreks!

I am allergic to horsefly/cleg bites. And they swell up quite badly and infect my glands. Does anyone have any good midge/insect repellants or even any good remedies for post bites!?

Good to hear any ideas

The very best, "anti any insect that bites" preparation is Avon Skin So Soft. :blink:

It is not intended for that purpose , but I was given the tip off from fishing/hunting friends in the US about 20 years ago and its the best thing I have ever used.

Its fame spread to the UK some time ago.

Google "Avon Skin So Soft" and see what I mean.

I'm not allergic to the bites but they usually make a huge lump which itches like...a lot :blink:

Had one the other day which came up into a lump but didn't itch for some reason :hmm:

Then I remembered I was taking antihistamine tabs for the hayfever so that might help your itching too.

My sympathies..

GH

hey guys cheers for your help. Antihistamines arent working along with ibuprofen. Phoned the useless entity that is otherwise known as NHS direct and they have advised i go to A&E as the swelling has spread up my forearm and into my glands which are sore to touch.

Will report back to you, i know it is probably a horsefly / cleg and when this has happened to me before (not to quite this extent) i have been around water.....swimming when i was younger.

to be continued......

Another vote here for the Avon skin so soft :good: definately worked for me when up in Scotland recently.

And the day I forgot to put any on ...yeah you guessed, I got bit to ****

SS

Went fly fishing last week and the midges came out so i put some skin so soft on and offered him some , but he refused :good: spoke to him this week and he was bittern to hell :yes:

From an insect bite?

Where were you, Africa?

The guy is right.

Straight to A & E.....

I get nasty reactions to Mosquitos and horse flies (B*st*rds)

Usually just annoying swelling and itchy and leaky, you know the sort of thing.

But sometimes they go bad, and they go bad quick, and it can be real dangerous.

I have had to have hospital treatment 4 times from bites

Once in India, Once in Greece, and twice in my own back yard..

So you can get it anywhere.

For the record - good quality products containing Deet, are the only thing that will givlong lasting protection.

Most stuff doesnt work , other stuff works just for a very short tiime.

And as for treatment, antihistamines and paracetamol or ibuprofen is the only thing.

But when they go bad - Hospital and antibiotics - Quick

I am a strong believer and practitioner in "Natural Remedies" and"Natural Healing" (I am a Rieki Master and have studied Aromatherapy and Natural Remedies) so I use a mixture of Citronella Oil and Lemon Grass Oil mixed with Sweet Almond Oil at a ratio of 10 drops each of the Citronella and Lemon Grass Oil mixed with about 1/2 a teaspoon of the Sweet Almond Carrier Oil. This mixture has a pleasant citrus smell to it so is not as offencive some of the "Insect Repellents" which are available "over the counter". I use this when I go Crown Green Bowling as well as when I go shooting as our Bowling Green is notorious for Midges, Moskitoes and Horse Flies and while other players are itching like mad I can bowl in relative comfort.

If by chance to do get bitten by any insect or manage to pick up any minor cuts or scratches while out shooting a few drops of Pure Tea Tree Oil into the bite. Tea Tree Oil is one of the best Antiseptics available and can be more effective than some of the better known Antiseptics available over the counter.

In either case, should the effected area continue to swell up badly you should really consult your G.P.

Hope this helps!

Evening gents. Well second day in hospital! Been on I.V sincel sun evening. Steroids and antibiotics. Little sh*tters. Need to come up with something quick! Am on blackberry so will read all replies when home, plus will paste photos of my beadle hands! Thanks fellahs......,o nice nurses by the way!

Sounds like hospital was the right choice.

My Bro is allergic to apparently anything that lives. Nine times out of ten he gets bitten or stung it ends up in a trip to hospital and/or an adrenalin jab.

Basic rule is a bit like burns if it swells bigger than a 50p in diameter and sticks out more than the depth of a £1 get it checked. My old dear left one for weeks without telling anyone next thing in hospital, her leg went black and crispy like crackling. something to do with the lymph glands.

luckily i seem to made of sterner stuff (unless it is a Cat but thats a different story)

anyway glad to hear you are getting nice nurse treatment, rather have pics of them than the beadle hands if it's all the same.