Springador

Banjo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't intentionally look for a cross mate, these dog's can be unpredictable, its not like basic genetics mean it will retrieve like a lab and smash cover like a springer, think of what your after and go with that mate, if you do driven shooting and what something at the peg lab, beating and rough shooting spaniel, think of the task and think of what breed suits!!! Don't get me wrong both can do eachothers jobs, but go with the breed which has years of breeding to excel at its task.

RS

I have a springerdor, shes coming up for a year old now and trains real well, their a cracking dog, dont care what anyone thinks, obviously people who havent had one are going to slate them but then again whats the point in getting a KC dog when there probably crossed somewhere down the line anyway. Go for it Banjo they are good and mine is as good as a springer and a lab put together, :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments and the mails, I have a 2 Springadors before and they have been fantastic. I currently have a Lab bith (9 years) and have just lost a Springer, just want a change and a dog with a bit more between its ears. I'll let you know how I get on...

I would love to know the thought process that went into that comment.

Dan

Ok here goes, it's not rocket science, people have been refining the gundog breeds over many (read hundreds) of years. You want a dog (for the most part) to flush and retrieve you go spaniel. You want a dog to be steady and retrieve for the most part you go lab.

You can use either type to do the others job if you so wish but mixing the two has no garauntee of getting the best of both worlds.

Sure there are people who say 'I had a springerdor and it was a good dog' - but that's nothing compared to the number of people with good springers or good labs. They were bred differently by people who know better than you or I and for this reason I see no point in deliberately messing with something which works perfectly as intended.

Ok here goes, it's not rocket science, people have been refining the gundog breeds over many (read hundreds) of years. You want a dog (for the most part) to flush and retrieve you go spaniel. You want a dog to be steady and retrieve for the most part you go lab.

You can use either type to do the others job if you so wish but mixing the two has no garauntee of getting the best of both worlds.

Sure there are people who say 'I had a springerdor and it was a good dog' - but that's nothing compared to the number of people with good springers or good labs. They were bred differently by people who know better than you or I and for this reason I see no point in deliberately messing with something which works perfectly as intended.

Or you can look at another way that years and years of interbreeding has caused a number of health problems that KC mark as faults but which are actually the product of their own design.

Springerdors havent really been about that long and so are never going to be a popular as Lab or Springer. I have a Springerdor, both parents were from good working stock and he is amazing in the field, so I think you can be a sure as you can with the offspring of a pure Lab/springer from good working stock. The only thing I would say is they are harder to train and a bit crazy at times, but he retrieves with such energy.

Dan

Its funny how many people on here will say "why get a pointless cross" when every one ive heard whos got a springerdor says how good they are including myself!

I think people are getting abit irritated with the fact that people like my self can buy a springer/lab cross for half the price of a pedigree lab or springer that can out-perform their kc dog in the field and may be abit worried they are going to be used more and more as people realise what a good mix these dogs really are. :good:

I'm with Gdunc, you are not 100% sure how this cross is going to turn out, that is his point...okay there may be crackin springadors in the field, but how many bad ones are there, you cannot predict how a cross will turn out, your dog which you say is good may get the best of both worlds, but then its litter mate may get both faults out of both breeds...You can't say lab pr sprigers have defects from interbreeding, many show dogs will due to being bred for looks...not our working stock, some will, I'm not saying the gene pool is perfect, but for hundreds of years these breeds have been bred to excell at its task, a one off mating will never compare to what a top springer or lab can do...

You can keep pretending that you have got something special in a X breed,that it will live longer and so on but I can assure you it will not compare to a Springer or a Lab for its suited task....

Thats my two pennies worth and Gdunc I'm with you mate...

I agree with Ricky, some people may have good springadors, although you can say everyone you spoke to has a good one, I doubt people with a bad one would shouting it out telling everyone how bad there dog is :good:

They may be very good all round dogs and work well for you, although I doubt one would beat a top class springer in flushing and working cover specifically or beat a lab retrieving and wild fowling. Not slating your dogs, im sure your great, I had a mongrel as a kid n she was the most lovely clever dog in the world, If your not looking to trial n show then go for what you fancy, like Ricky said though, even with 2 good parents you cant gaurantee they will get the good bits from the lab and the good bits from the springer :D although ut would be nice :huh:

Best of luck though, you obv have your mind set on one :lol: just do your best with training and have fun with your dog :o

One thing though, the springadors I have seen advertised were like the same price as a pedigree not half of that! :lol:

to be honest a lot of these mongrels I have seen advertised have been priced at more than a good working springer litter!!! £350 seems a reasonably fee round my neck of the woods for this X breed, You will get a nice Springer pup for that... Markbivvy was selling a great litter of pedigree springers for alot less than that!! occasioally you will see Springadors priced at £100 but thats someone being genuine pricing it accordingly for being a mistake mating and so on!

How could you possibly know how a pedigree lab or springer will turn out? youve got just as much chance getting a bad pedigree as you have a springer cross, just coz the parents were fine doesnt mean the pup you picked will turn out just as good! you dont know about the previous litters. its all down to chance when picking your pup. I picked mine up for £100 as it was a mistake, it was a game keepers dogs, bitch being a springer and dog fox red lab, both cracking looking dogs

Shes being trained for wildfowling and i realy cant fault her for what she can do at her age. I still think springerdors will be a breed soon!

Just look at the labradoodles ha,ha! wouldnt use that for wildfowling but its classed as a pedigree bred dog now! <_<

Edited by teal27

Ill bet the kennel Club have nt heard that!

Why bother cross breeding when you got the benefit of years of selective breeding for work- ignore show bloodlines at all costs- if you want the best of both get one of each.

I have 3 springers and a lab! Horses for course- mind the lab was reared with springers and enters brambles like them!

I didn't know a Labradoodle was classed as a ped dog ? Is this true ? I read that its still undecided as whether they should be as people are in dispute! :look:

I think it is recognised as a breed I don’t think I would use the term ped. Springadors would be the same if they weren’t all owned by people who work them rather than want to show them.

Dan

I bought a dog pedigree book 8 months ago and it has labradoodles in it, also a women i use to know had two and swore both had ped papers

Was the book on the shelf next between the Beano and the Dandy? :hmm:

The women was a liar.

They are DEFINITELY NOT a KC recognised breed and as such can have no registration papers; the only pedigrees that could be associated with, but would not relate directly to, these dogs are copies of those of the sire and dam, who may well be health tested, pedigree dogs.

• 5 years later...

hi' ive been training gundogs for over 20 years have always trained labs or ess but over the past 5 years have worked with springadors from gundog parentage and find them to be excellent learners and very easy to train I also make a point of watching both parents working first , these excellent crosses represent superb value if you get the right ones, mine is equally happy spending the day retrieving or flushing she is rock steady even when pigeon shooting over decoys will not move a muscle until sent out no matter how many dead pigeons lay out in front, also she never tires even on a hot day with 300+ pigeons picked just need lots of water, if you are into pigeon shooting its good to remember pigeons don't have much scent so the spaniel nose is a great advantage, only thing with these are they love water so if you don't like wet dog beware lol.

just make sure if you want one for shooting make sure it come from gundog parents and I mean both parents although you can never be sure chances are it will be superb but when young will need a lot of mental stimulation, and train when walking as well ie heel work important, if handled properly will be worth it ..