crate training

Lloyd90

we dropped ours to 3 meals at about 12 wks,when she had 4 small meals it was 6am 11am 2-3pm and 6pm,,my theory being the poo will come out within a couple of hours,like a i said it worked for us we only had 1 poo in the crate and that a bit runny so maybe couldnt be helped,and the wee soon stopped and she darted out at 6am to do it in the garden,maybe the person who's lab did that had a crate that was to big as i have read this can happen.

it amazed me how quickly they pick up habit/routine and timing of things happening,our morning went like this

get up go do a wee

get fed

go out for poo

back in for some fuss

then one day i gave her a rawhide before i went to work from the kitchen cupboard,the next day after wee,food,poo and fuss as i stood up she went and sat by the cupboard waiting for a chew,this is now her routine before i go to work.

what i'm getting at is that she knew what was coming next within 2 times of the actions being repeated.

sorry for going on but i have started to study dog pyshcology since having mine, i find them fascinating.

hope it goes well.

Haha yes they are quite fascinating :D In a few weeks I will cut out the late night meal when she drops to 3 a day :huh: The breeder used to feed them about those times n said He doesnt like to feed them too early in the evening as its a longtime in the night between meals :good:

I was a bit drunk last night after rugby prez but luckily my dad came down n let her out for me when she whineing :lol:

Might start moving towards only letting her out once in the night rather than drag her out n wait for her to go :o

mate sounds like she's got you already....whineing to be let out and getting let out.. :whistling::lol:

Definatly, my cocker pup is now seventeen weeks and was never let out in the night, she had her last feed at six, water up at seven and let out every half hour for a wee or poo throughout the day.

Her crate is in the cupboard under the stairs but the door to this is in the lounge with the crate right to the front, we obviosly dont ever shut the cupboard door! she can see and hear us whenever she's in there, we rarely put her in while we are at home unless we are cleaning or something but she's happy to go and lay in there anyway. i also made a board that made the crate half of its size while she was young, this way she didnt soil one end of the crate and have room to sleep the other :no:

We found that putting a blanket over the crate helped keep her quiet and the radio on in the background, she only cried for the first two nights and only wee'd in there for three, theres not a chance i was getting in the habit of letting her out when she whined but made sure i was up at six to let her out. if i woke up and she was whining then i waited until she stopped before she saw me and i let her out.

she never poo'd in her crate or in the house, in fact she whined at the back door on the first day we had her to go for a poo and she was only seven weeks old :yes: house training was a thing of the past after three weeks and only the very occasional accident when it was raining outside as she didn't like going out in the rain!

mate sounds like she's got you already....whineing to be let out and getting let out.. :whistling::lol:

Haha I normally wait till she stops whineing then let her out in the day. Its not as if I take her out to play if she dont go to the toilet I bring her back in! She just goes to the toilet then goes back to bed :yes:

How old will they be when they can hold it all night ? Like I said I dont want to let her wet her bed!

Got to 5.30 this morning before she needed to go out for a wee :hmm: Maybe ina week I can have a full night sleep :D lol!

Seems to get longer each time before she needs to go out :hmm: N she practically stopped lil accidents in the house :yes: Not bad for her first week :D