SWB 4x4 - Shogun vs Terrano

ME

I am looking for a 4x4 for towing and shooting.

For a number of reasons I have narrowed the search to either a SWB Shogun or SWB Nissan Terrano. (in manual, diesel format)

Anyone had either ?

NOTE: I dont want to hear about how great your Defender is, or that the other two arent "proper" 4x4's etc..

I am looking for a 4x4 for towing and shooting.

For a number of reasons I have narrowed the search to either a SWB Shogun or SWB Nissan Terrano. (in manual, diesel format)

Anyone had either ?

NOTE: I dont want to hear about how great your Defender is, or that the other two arent "proper" 4x4's etc..

OOH,

Did we get out of bed the wrong side this morning? Mr Grumpy.

Have you heard how great my Discovery is? :good:

The Terrano that I told you about last week is a LWB and needs a new gearbox.

Go for a shogun, Picked my 53 plate up last week and love it, 3.2 diesel very powerful and are great off road, my mate had a 4work van type and we towed a 2 ton wood chipper up through the highlands no bother at all. Should also say there is plenty room up front but would be limited in the rear, i keep the rear seats folded up in mine,

Edited by steveb

look at the boot space you won't get much with either so fine if you only need two seats. Towing wise its much of a muchness assuming you're going for the older 2.5 mitsubishi or 2.7 terrano I'd probably go terrano as you tend to get fewer engine issues

OOH,

Did we get out of bed the wrong side this morning? Mr Grumpy.

Have you heard how great my Discovery is? :P

The Terrano that I told you about last week is a LWB and needs a new gearbox.

i saw a terrano in the local scrappy the other day with a broken gearbox, :good:

that does not sound good,

You could think about a daihatsu fourtrak,

great engines, powerful reliable

Easy to work on, the nuts and bolts actually undo, unlike land rovers (which are better)

I had a SWB Terrano 2.7TDi (manual) about 7 years ago, and I regularly drive a relative's LWB Terrano. The power from that engine is pretty impressive, but noisy, and I found that the suspension wasn't up to much. Off road, it was mediocre at best (I cannot stand anything that has selectable 4wd).

The Shogun is a much better truck, and is used by a lot of farmers and horsey types because of its reliability and grunt. If I buy another new 4x4 for road and off-road use, it would probably be a new Shogun or a VW Touareg. It won't be anything bearing the Land Rover badge.

I was thinking this myself the other day...

I know my Frontera won't last forever, and I need something that will be as comfortable and as good at carrying as it is. Unfortunately, my heart wants a Landy 90, and it's never going to replace the Frontera. I had considered the Terrano, but it's again a bit small to fit a winch, slider and flatbar in, lt alone the rest of my wakeskating kit.

It would also be tough on the dogs when we went home.

What are the shoguns like on fuel? Average mpg?

Also, has anyone got a Nissan Pathfinder? They look closest to the Frontera in terms of size and carrying capacity...

terranos are strong, the gearbox problems some suffer from is the bearing that supports the input shaft, and can be replaced, costs about £20 for the bearing, they do tow very well, just look at how many contractors use them for towing machinery/mini diggers about, best to drive both and see what takes your fancy

Edited by EvoCars

Hi Matt,

I really think it depends of how much cash your looking to spend.

If your not looking to spend much I'd go for the Terrano, I've got a R' Reg SWB but with the 2.4i Petrol engine. Had it for over a year now and had no problems with it at all, only cost me £1350 with 48K Miles.

Like I said to you when I picked up the BBQ, I sold my 53' Reg TD% XS Discovery as after the baby was born the Mrs. took over my Disco to get all the gear in but reckoned it was too big for her (Women Drivers!! :hmm: ) So I ended up selling it :yes: , getting her a new Zafira and buying the Terrano for shooting/fishing.

It's surprisingly good off road, at least as good if not better than my Discovery, although the Terrano has got more off-road biased tyres which I'm sure do help.

As has been said, very little room in the back with the seats up but plenty of room with them down.

Not sure what they are like as tow vehicles, I would guess the Shogun would be heavier so may tow better. Also the Terrano is only 2WD with selectable High and Low 4WD, although it does have what is meant to be a very good LSD.

Hewey

Wookie,

My MPG doesn't give a true real world reading as I mainly use it around the country roads and around fields.

Still I'm getting 24-25MPG average which for a 2.4 Petrol is more than I expected and is better than my old TD5 Auto.

Hewey.

I have just viewed a 2.5 Diesel, Manual 1996 SWB UK Shogun. 86000 miles FMSH.

Massive chrome nudge bars, twin electric tow bar, removable sunroof. Nice condition.

Placed a deposit, picking up tomorrow and now looking for insurance.... :lol:

Edited by LV