Springer for Wildfowling

ziplex

I am looking to get another mutt, my GSP just won't hack the real cold on the foreshore...maybe it's me being a wimp but she just doesn't seem too happy in real hot or cold conditions. I took her last season and sat her on a few creeks and ponds but even with a neoprene coat on she nearly shivered herself off her feet! The chattering of her teeth has to heard to be believed :blush:

I have had Springers in the past and still miss their demented ways but they are probably my favourite dog, trouble is everyone seems to suggest a Lab' for Wildfowling which I realise is probably the wise choice. How many Wildfowl with a Springer and if you do would you still suggest a Lab'? :good:

I use my springer for wildfowling, I cannot rave about him highly enough.

I also could not recomend a lab to someone who has had springers, you know what is best.

You would really need a well built springer, not one of the latest trend of trialling dogs.

I use my springer for wildfowling....................You would really need a well built springer, not one of the latest trend of trialling dogs.

Agree with the above, my old girl was great as a `fowling dog anfd sat out on the mud with her neoprene coat on in everything the Scottish weather could throw at us. the youngster is a small, cocker sized, bitch and even shivers in the pigen hides...........I am therefore looking to getting a Lab/Chessie/Irish WS :blush:

I believe that GSPs are not well suited to the cold as a breed - I know that from a friend who trials them.

I've used my springer to retreive geese (decoying over crops) but wouldn't fancy her chances on the foreshore much as she rattles when she's not been hunting for 10 minutes in the winter. The breeding for trials seems to have produced fairly short thin coats.

As advised you'd need to seek out an old style big stamp of a dog to handle the cold better.

Encouraging replies chaps........I understand fully with what you're all saying about the breed in general. Both my late Springers were like tanks in comparison with the ones you see in the main today, they had big chests, huge feet etc. We still have a 'family' Springer but her legs are skinny, she has tiny feet and her coat is quite thin, still a nutzoid dog though even at 8+ years and will retrieve 'til she drops but I couldn't imagine her with a goose, she'd give it a damn good go though as a Springer would/should but she'd lack the strength to wade back through the mud for a start. I think that's why I like them so much, they've got a real zest for everything and are so damn happy all the time!. A Lab' seems to make sense but I think I might regret it if I opt out of getting a Springer again, little nutters that they are.

Or save yourself the "maybe aye, maybe no" depending on a springer's breedings and get a lab for fowling. Yes they (springers) can do it, but so can your GSP if leave the discomfort to one side. At the end of the day a springer is a hunting dog and I love them, they give me the dog buzz, but with my shooting changing a bit now I need to look at a lab as I don't think it's fair to ask a highly driven hunting dog to sit (in my case) at a peg or by a pond. Obviously I have shooting where I can shoot over my spaniel, otherwise I'd probably sell my gun!

Edited by wgd

I currently have a springer for the shore and he does the job fine, although i am looking for a lab as a few times in a strong tide i've worried about the springer as mine are quite small but broad across the chest, and i started off with a lab on the shore. most of my shooting through the season is walked up game so springers are ideal but must admit that i'm swaying towards the lab for the shore!!

Or save yourself the "maybe aye, maybe no" depending on a springer's breedings and get a lab for fowling. Yes they (springers) can do it, but so can your GSP if leave the discomfort to one side. At the end of the day a springer is a hunting dog and I love them, they give me the dog buzz, but with my shooting changing a bit now I need to look at a lab as I don't think it's fair to ask a highly driven hunting dog to sit (in my case) at a peg or by a pond. Obviously I have shooting where I can shoot over my spaniel, otherwise I'd probably sell my gun!

I know the GSP can do it but i'm just too soft, I guess, to expect it of her. I'd worry of her suffering badly in the cold without me realising it. She can cover muddy forshore/creeks like nothing else, sort of glides over it and rarely gets bogged down and can swim for England too. If only she had some protection from the cold she'd be proper job!

Depends on the shore, depends on the spaniel. If shore's synonymous with "coastal," one of the bigger retrievers would be the choice. If shore means any body of water smaller than the North Atlantic, you could come by a Boykin

0962-1.jpg

or a heavier-coated spaniel yet

0915.jpg

especially in the cold and briny

zG308.jpg

Springers are capable, and can hup in a hide without any detriment to their questing. But there may be better choices available, even amongst spaniels, for retrieving geese and ducks.

MG

Nothing wrong with the dog shivering.

LB

I know LB but last year I went with a mate to the foreshore, he sent his Lab in after a wigeon and within seconds of him coming out of the water he was white, apart from his snout and eyes, was a very cold morning mind. If that would of been Bree I reckon she'd of keeled over after 10 minutes, I could well be wrong but she's a skinny gutted kraut with virtually no fur on her under carriage! :blush:

Depends on the shore, depends on the spaniel. If shore's synonymous with "coastal," one of the bigger retrievers would be the choice. If shore means any body of water smaller than the North Atlantic, you could come by a Boykin

0962-1.jpg

or a heavier-coated spaniel yet

0915.jpg

especially in the cold and briny

zG308.jpg

Springers are capable, and can hup in a hide without any detriment to their questing. But there may be better choices available, even amongst spaniels, for retrieving geese and ducks.

MG

Blimey MG..............didn't even realise there was such a dog! looks a fine hound, especially the liver one. :blush:

I know some dogs aren't up to it but there the ones that get sussed out early on, hopefully.

LB

How so LB? I'd say Bree is up to it in her eagerness and doesn't flinch at cold water, it's me being paranoid thinking she may have hypathermia(?) setting in without me realising it, i'm a bit soft with my dogs :blush:, tryed not to be but i'm a southern softie you understand :good:

I have 2 Springers and to be honest they have to cope with all my shooting.

I want them to sit while in the hide, Hunt when required (now i have some land with bunnies on) and be steady to take them wildfowling this season.

I just cant afford to have a Lab for wildfowling although i wish i could have a nice little fox red, but the Mrs said No

I have 2 Springers and to be honest they have to cope with all my shooting.

I want them to sit while in the hide, Hunt when required (now i have some land with bunnies on) and be steady to take them wildfowling this season.

I just cant afford to have a Lab for wildfowling although i wish i could have a nice little fox red, but the Mrs said No

I never had a problem with my two not being steady......perhaps I was lucky, I know they can be nutjobs but we've had three Springers now and they've all been fine in that respect. Been a long time since I last bought one though

It's just my opinion but I think it's a case of getting the right dog for the right job, I wouldn't want to rough shoot over a lab, I wouldn't want to shoot a grouse moore over a spaniel and I don't see the point in a spaniel for fowling. Get the tool for the job mate, i wish you well whatever you decide... but when you see a lab with frost on not moving an inch you'll know you've made the right decision!

Got to admit though it was cold last season....im in the GWA and over December the sea pools actually frozed over, at one stage when we were out it was Minus 8, and that was cold..

Im going to get a neoprene coat for mine for this season, but i wont take them every time, depends on location etc.

Think i will have more luck with the younger pup as i tend to take her out with me pigeon or crow shooting where i get her to sit....the eldest seems to be much better at hunting, so i expect i will use her more for Beating or a bit of rabbitting in the hedges getting her to flush etc

It's just my opinion but I think it's a case of getting the right dog for the right job, I wouldn't want to rough shoot over a lab, I wouldn't want to shoot a grouse moore over a spaniel and I don't see the point in a spaniel for fowling. Get the tool for the job mate, i wish you well whatever you decide... but when you see a lab with frost on not moving an inch you'll know you've made the right decision!

Appreciate what you are saying, I just have a soft spot for Springers and wanted some input from those who use them for wildfowling. From what I can tell the general rule is a lab' would be the sensible choice, I just prefer the Springer as a dog generally. :blush:

Got to admit though it was cold last season....im in the GWA and over December the sea pools actually frozed over, at one stage when we were out it was Minus 8, and that was cold..

Im going to get a neoprene coat for mine for this season, but i wont take them every time, depends on location etc.

Think i will have more luck with the younger pup as i tend to take her out with me pigeon or crow shooting where i get her to sit....the eldest seems to be much better at hunting, so i expect i will use her more for Beating or a bit of rabbitting in the hedges getting her to flush etc

I'm looking for some ground to shoot rabbit, hopefully something in the pipeline soon. The pointer is very keen on them and she's holding point well now. I bought her a neoprene coat last year, she fairly well jumps into it once it's cold, obviously knows what it does for her :rolleyes:

i have been out with guys who take a Lab and Springer wildfowling and to be honest i can not see any difference in the dogs what so ever.well not until it is play time and the springer finds all the mud puddles :lol:

It is going to be what dog you like the best as a shooting companion and its training.

I love springers, they maybe a little shot in the head but what little machines they are while working....

I do have a lab but he is the house dog, loves slippers and does not like going out in the rain....the big softy :rolleyes: and immitates a jumping kanagroo :lol:

i have been out with guys who take a Lab and Springer wildfowling and to be honest i can not see any difference in the dogs what so ever.well not until it is play time and the springer finds all the mud puddles :lol:

It is going to be what dog you like the best as a shooting companion and its training.

I love springers, they maybe a little shot in the head but what little machines they are while working....

I do have a lab but he is the house dog, loves slippers and does not like going out in the rain....the big softy :rolleyes: and immitates a jumping kanagroo :lol:

What you said about them being 'little machines' is partly what endears me to them, and probably what turns others away I expect. It's their never say die attitude, and that constant asking to be given a job to do :lol:

My Step-Father has used Springers for the past 25 years or so. His one remaining Springer is to old to work now and he has switched to a Spinone, this will be her first season working she will be used for rough, formal stand shooting and wildfowling.

At the moment she is years ahead of the Springers in training at the same age, so will be interesting to see what she is like.