Springer for Wildfowling

ziplex

Is that a field spaniel? :unsure:

No.......I pm'd cracker and enquired, it's a Boykin spaniel, lovely dog but not available over here as no breeders of them. They are bred mainly as a retrieving dog. Lots of info on the net about them :yp:

Actually dog above (and below)'s a Sussex spaniel--

0980.jpg

--believed to have contributed to the Boykin's lineage in the States. A brute of a retriever if trained that way.

Remember what I said about Clumbers and camo for quarry as shown, Duncan? The poster who's step-Da is onto a spinone Italiano could have the best of all when it's down to that. Can flatly state a spin's been my best fowling dog,

Pane-2dSeasonSnow-Jan05-1.jpg

over and including the Labs I trial. They really have the equipment to handle it.

MG

Or save yourself the "maybe aye, maybe no" depending on a springer's breedings and get a lab for fowling. Yes they (springers) can do it, but so can your GSP if leave the discomfort to one side. At the end of the day a springer is a hunting dog and I love them, they give me the dog buzz, but with my shooting changing a bit now I need to look at a lab as I don't think it's fair to ask a highly driven hunting dog to sit (in my case) at a peg or by a pond. Obviously I have shooting where I can shoot over my spaniel, otherwise I'd probably sell my gun!

cant beat a good lab i had them since i started shooting 14 years ago and my dad had them

HI mate i shoot the river tay inbetween newburgh and dundee my mate steve takes his cocker you have to see this every time he fires its over the side , it drags them back by the wing sometimes the bird is bigger then the dog so come winter my springer Ben will be in the boat .