Foutrak 2.8TDL snotter

Windy

Am going to look at a Fourtrak TDL, will be a used as a snotter, it is a 92 model and I expect it will have seen a fair bit of action. Its up for £750.

Any experience of Fourtraks appreciated, what to look out for, signs that it might be fubarred etc etc. As said, not expecting a gem, just something for trolling about in, and winter use. (my current car is a sports car, so no good for dog/guns/dead animals/mud/snow/farm tracks)

cheers

Rust seems to be the big killer on these.

Have a (good) look at the wheel arches, around the window seals and along the bottoms of the doors, and where the bodywork meets the chassis. I have a '94 fourtrak which is starting to rot in all these areas.

Other than this, go for it. Great motors :rolleyes:

ZB

as said rust is the biggie lift the boot carpet and see if you can see daylight by the arches, bet you can :rolleyes: its not an MOT failure as its got a separate chasis though believe it or not. Other than they they stand up pretty well and most parts are cheap from milners

well.....it was a bit too much of a snotter! No ticket, and very rough, probably better as an engine donor or for farm runabout.

had a go in a Cherokee, which was altogether more suitable for light road use as well, which I will need. Commute to work only 7 miles, so fuel not too much of an issue. was a bit more money at £1100 with years ticket. was a very tidy motor. so something to think about.

anyone know of any other cheap 4x4's, basic rough track/lane ability, dedicated mud plugging not an issue. Will need to be OK for driving to work on sh-1tty winters days.

Have found another Fourtrak 2.7 TDL swb not too far away. 128k miles, ticket until july 2010, tax till Nov. This one looks a fair bit cleaner, think I'll check it out monday.

I assume the 2.7 td engine in these should still be fairly OK after 128k miles? As said, I dont do that many miles, so wont be hammering it.

Have found another Fourtrak 2.7 TDL swb not too far away. 128k miles, ticket until july 2010, tax till Nov. This one looks a fair bit cleaner, think I'll check it out monday.

I assume the 2.7 td engine in these should still be fairly OK after 128k miles? As said, I dont do that many miles, so wont be hammering it.

Windy , I bought a four track new in 1999 and had it for three years and put 42000 miles on the clock . It was in fact the most reliable car i have ever owned ,and I have had a few over the years . It never missed a beat and it never cost me a penny other than servicing ,still had the big chunky tyres on it that were fitted from new when I sold It . Very ,very capable off roader , but I needed something bigger and wentt down the landrover line .

Harnser .

SWB Pajero 2.8, can be had for beans now & fairly bomb proof.

insurance seems a bit steep on these for some reason?.....maybe due to being imports?

The Fourtrak is coming in at £180 3rd party/fire/theft or £215 fully comp. A SWB Paj was getting on for £400!

Have test driven a '95 Fourtrak this arvo. Couldnt find any major problems. No major rust on arches. Tiny trace of some rust on the seems of the rear arches under the carpet, but not blown through. Most rust was in the rear window bottom seams. Thought they could be cleaned out and filled with silicon?

125k on the clock, tidy interior, good tyres, 1 yrs ticket.....under a grand

Well.....finally got a 4x4 snotter this arvo. And its not too snotty!!

Found a '95 Fourtrak. 125k on the clock, 2 owners (second owner was a garage, so looked after it seems), hardly any rust at all (rear window runners and strip across front below below the grill, but not blown through). Clean as a whistle inside, and engine bay spotless, no oil leaks etc. £900.

Garage put it through MOT before I collected, went through no probs....so 12mths ticket. Advisory note for corrosion on fuel line and slight play in front n/s steering pivot point. Which I hope wont be too much to sort. Chap at garage said he looked at the fuel line and didnt think it was an issue. Tax till Nov.

All I feel I need to do is the cam belt, which it is due. Mechanic friend said he'll do it for some beer tokens. Apparently it isnt a big job.

Will do a pic or two later.

Looking forward to its first shooting outing.

go to milner off road for your diahatsu parts, cheap as chips and great service, filter kits( cost about £20) and new oil is all you need, I am on my third one ,the latest one being a 2001 model (last ones made) and its great, put some 31x10.50 tyres on and they are unstoppable.

Mechanic mate had a look today and said the Fourtrak is immaculate, with no obvious probs :good:

Looked at Milners for the stuff, but mate has an account with a parts dealer, so he'll get the belt from there. I'll do an oil/filter change while he sorts the cambelt. Should be pretty bullet proof from there.

Had its first outing today, was 'well at home' down the field to my first permission.........got my first woody! :good:

post-16915-1247782982.jpg