Pigeon shooting in Northern Ireland

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to recce a few fields and found out that one of the farmers who had planted corn this year had cut his field and just round bailed it. Was slightly dissappointed until I got to the field to find around 200+ crows on it and a good number of pigeons.

Set up around 4.30pm and shot steady for first 30 mins and had shot 20 crows. Then got my first pigeon and put it on a bouncer and this seemed to attract more pigeons. Put another two on bouncers and was a definite pull for any pigeons in the area.

Finished at 6.00pm (no more cartridges) with a total of 9 pigeons and 31 crows. Car in with mechanic so stranded today and promised the kids a trip to the Tall Ships so might not get another go at this field as there is limited amount of feed on it and the grass is already growing covering the seed.

Crowned most of the pigeons and breasted 2 of them. Have people looking forward to them.

Roll on sept as most of the farmers have grown spring barley and wont be harvesting til then.

Got out this afternoon for the first time at my mates land, it wasn't looking good when we arrived about 3.30pm as it was lashing, but we decided to set up any way on a field of Barley Stubble. It finally stopped raining about 4.30pm and the first few birds started to feed, i was a bit rusty and missed with my first 3 shots (the first i had the auto out this year too) but then downed a nice brace and restored a bit of confidence. The birds keep coming in at regular intervals between showers and we ended up with a bag of 29 pigeons, 2 crows and 1 hooded crow not a massive bag but very enjoyable way to spend a friday evening and a bit of retrieving for the dog to freshen him up a bit!!

yep, out today, doing target shooting with the rifle and had a bit of a recce; saw a few rabbits thatll need done with a shotgun (not safe for rifle) and a mate rang to say he'd been up checking the barley, nowhere near ripe yet but he scared about 60 crows out of the cattle sheds at the yard - and had no gun with him :lol:

so lookslike illhave to clear up a few on wednesday when im off :good:

was out early this morning to walk the dogs and took the gun, ended up shooting 3 pigeons and 2 magpies which wasn't too bad as i was only really checking the pens! Quite a few mallard lifted off one of the ponds too, which might get a spreading next tuesday!! :good::lol:

Didn't get out on saturday, for some reason ended up going a wee tour round the bushmills distillery which was a nice enough day. Was supposed to be lamping tonight but the water pump on the car has became incontinant.

Maybe next week...

was out for a couple of hours this morning had 15 crows 6 woodies 2 feral pigeons and 3 grey crows, was shooting on a patch of flattened barley there was 100s of crows at the field but they came in big flocks so after a few shots they where scared away, a pic of the birds that i shot a few where lost in the standing barley

023-1.jpg

Edited by monkeyboots