best time for oats

KennyB

been around one of my permissions today thats has oats and wheat , a few dropping in the wheat, having never shot over oats just wondering whats its like, couldnt see any birds on it tho it is very high, to me it looks ready but who am i to say, whens the best time if any

kenny

i wouldn't get your hopes up mate.

we have a few fields of oats here every year and have never even botherd shooting over it. the pigeons just don't seem to like it.

i would be very surprised if any pigeons around you went for them but personally i would keep an eye on your wheat.

just my opinion maybe someone else has had a bit of luck. just none down here.

atb

charlie

the only time you will see birds on the field is when it is harvested and you should get some good numbers.

We grow alot of oats on my farm that I work on and last year there was alot of birds on it until we ploughed the field in

The crows like it too <_<

Like i said me and two other members off the site shot a field two years ago started at 3 finished at 430 having ran out of shells . may of been a one off but worth keeping an eye on :hmm:

md thats encouraging, when appox is the harvest for oats?? to me it looks good now a nice tan colour mind you it has been for sometime

it should be getting cut within the next couple of weeks, we will be cutting our next week if we get all our rape and barley in by then.

Last year the oats were late because of the bad weather and the stubble was left untill mid september we had 2 good evenings on mallard and they were still coming in when it was to dark to shoot,but i never saw many pigeons on it in the daylight