Jeep ,what are they like .

Harnser

Had the offer of a very nice condition Jeep grand cherokee auto 2.7 diesel on a 52 plate . One of the very few makes that i havent had . I know the earlier models did have tranny problems . Oh ,thisone has 51000 miles with a full history .

Harnser .

i have been a jeep mechanic for 13 years.my advice is stay well away from it.they do suffer seriouse electrical problems which can cost a fortune to put right,also suffer injector problems which are around 800 quid each. :yes: plus heated seats catch fire unless its had a heated seat mod done,i would buy mitsubishi(as i am also a mitsi mechanic)costs nothing to fix as they rarly go wrong. :hmm: just my advice from experience :D

:hmm: I got into JEEP years before they decided too sell them here in the UK........ I used too sell imported parts as there were no Chrysler dealerships. All my old customers never had any major hassles as far as I re-call.

I myself have owned a 1998 Jeep Cherokee which had a proper under floor LPG system system ....It was ace and made it very eco to run...It was the 4.0 litre Auto. The only thing that went wrong was the rear axle started too make a noise at 89,000 (this is common).

The Grand Cherokee is very well equipped for the money as even 2001 facekift models can be picked up cheap.....Just be careful of the high tax emmission band AFTER 2001 ....EVEN ON THE DIESELS!!!

My advice is to buy a low miler with full History and you should not go wrong.......Take a look at the 2000 and later Chevy Blazer for value for money ...if you can live with a 4.3 v6 engine???

i have been a jeep mechanic for 13 years.my advice is stay well away from it.they do suffer seriouse electrical problems which can cost a fortune to put right,also suffer injector problems which are around 800 quid each. :D plus heated seats catch fire unless its had a heated seat mod done,i would buy mitsubishi(as i am also a mitsi mechanic)costs nothing to fix as they rarly go wrong. :yes: just my advice from experience :good:

Sorry to hijack the thread :hmm: I've been looking at the Outlander, any advice ?

I had one for a while, horrible thing. Daft driving position with the throttle pedal being too far away meaning you had to have the seat too far forward for the brake and the steering wheel, horrendous MPG (I got, however gentle I drove, an average of 19mpg) and the most gutless noisy diesel engine ever. Looked good, but that's all.

Avoid.

Had the offer of a very nice condition Jeep grand cherokee auto 2.7 diesel on a 52 plate . One of the very few makes that i havent had . I know the earlier models did have tranny problems . Oh ,thisone has 51000 miles with a full history .

Harnser .

Harnser,

not just the early models had auto box failures, normal failure 6 years / 60k miles, the problem arose when the Merc 2.7lt replaced the 3.1lt oil burned and proved too vague with gear selections (the auto box didn't know how to react with the new engines power) the box appears to be in the wrong gear.

Running costs should be the same as the Disco. (mpg, service etc.)

Insurance should be slightly more expensive than the Disco.

Superb off-road .. the same as a Disco. (Td5)

On road not so good but depends how you judge what a 4x4 should behave like.

I believe the Grand in 2.7lt had four recalls .. air con, engine fires caused the exhaust, side air bag and I think .. but not sure wheel bearing failures. (poor quality bearings)

The only advantage this model has over other 4x4's is price ....

What :( The Jeep or the Outlander

The Jeep.

As for the Outlander, remember only petrol auto's (unless you mean the 2007 onwards model) so economy not overly good. Reliable and well equipped, go for the ones with leather to aid resale. No idea about off road ability but my guess is that that's not your main concern anyway. It won't be that bad, in fact it'll be at least twice as good as any non 4 - wheel drive car.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=564 for the Jeep

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=814 for the Outlander

Harnser,

not just the early models had auto box failures, normal failure 6 years / 60k miles, the problem arose when the Merc 2.7lt replaced the 3.1lt oil burned and proved too vague with gear selections (the auto box didn't know how to react with the new engines power) the box appears to be in the wrong gear.

Running costs should be the same as the Disco. (mpg, service etc.)

Insurance should be slightly more expensive than the Disco.

Superb off-road .. the same as a Disco. (Td5)

On road not so good but depends how you judge what a 4x4 should behave like.

I believe the Grand in 2.7lt had four recalls .. air con, engine fires caused the exhaust, side air bag and I think .. but not sure wheel bearing failures. (poor quality bearings)

The only advantage this model has over other 4x4's is price ....

Thank you barn owl , a very informative post .

Harnser .

Hello there harnser,

I drive a '96 Grand Cherokee 4.0lt and I love it. I havn't had to much trouble with it, rad went, £70 to replace, Oh and the rear axle got a bit noisy so I added the special additive and no problems since.

I've owned Mistubishi's, Land Rovers ( and still do, a 1964 series 2a) but I really rate the Jeep. After all, who did Land Rover copy in the first place.

It will tow 3.5 tonne, cruise all day in comfort, and off road with the best of them. I dont know to much about the diesels but my mate who is a mechanic told me that head gaskets can go and are a nightmare to fit so probably best avoided.

If you dont do to many miles I would recommend the 4.0lt petrol, grunty, smooth and when you put your foot down it goes like **** off a shovel. Get a pre 2001 model, good deals on those at the mo, and stick two fingers up to the government.

Darren :)

Had a Jeep Cherokee a few years ago and it was fantastic to drive. Really comfortable and easy to position; loads of power and quite economical for a 4 litre iron lump (over 25mpg on a run). Also all the toys - A/C, power windows, power seats, cruise control etc. Great driver's car.

Got shot of it after about a year as it cost an arm and a leg to maintain. Apart from bits you can get off fleabay.com anything that was "dealer only" was hugely expensive. Also the quality of parts was total carp. Any simple maintenance was a major headache because any job would result in frozen and sheared bolts and studs which would be a real pain to remove. Also there was rust appearing on the front axle steering joints which the MOT man said would need to be sorted before the next time and would cost almost as much as I paid for the car. This, he said, was a common problem on Jeeps.

An example was that the exhaust manifolds are prone to split. A head stud and a manifold to down pipe bolt both sheared on removing the manifold which meant removal of the cylinder head to remove the stud. Also the down pipe bolt cost £2.75 and was terrible quality!

Such a shame but I suppose this explains why such nice driving vehicles are so cheap to buy now.