which one ?

myzeneye

right guys... im after a new 'ish car.... i need something with a bit of ground clearance but not huge off road capabilities which will also double up as the family cart, which the missus drives most of the time....

i know the cars on my short list arent without fault, but here goes....

05 -06 plate -

landrover freelander - 2l sport.( nicest looking of the bunch)

hyundia tucson -2l diesel ( my dad has got one and i cant fault it other than its interior is a bit bland)

nissan x trail...( probably gonna be the most reliable)

any thoughts, advice, horror stories are welcome as i just cant decide.

cheers guys...

I have a 52 freelander diesel, cannot fault it, very reliable, the only thing wrong was a viscous coupling somewhere in it, but I think they sorted that out on the facelift ones (which the sport is 'I think') :good:

I personlly would have a landrover over a nissan, but thats just me :good:

decisions.....

:(

got some one looking at my car tonight so will have a serious look later pending a sale... fingers crossed although to be fair its a bloody nice car and im mad for getting rid. still its no good down a farm track never mind off road so needs and musts i spose...

no one got a hyundai tucson then ?

decisions.....

:(

got some one looking at my car tonight so will have a serious look later pending a sale... fingers crossed although to be fair its a bloody nice car and im mad for getting rid. still its no good down a farm track never mind off road so needs and musts i spose...

no one got a hyundai tucson then ?

Im on me second x-trail.....providing you know yours and its limits its a good truck, if it had a low ratio box it would be a GREAT truck.....

economy is ok... really nice to drive......ideal for lamping out of the HUGE sunroof

shaun

If it has to double up as the family motor then a Subaru Forester or X Trail. Sorry, but would you be prepared to part your hard earned cash for a landrover Disco or Freelander with their unreliability reputation?

I had two Foresters, and did 120,000 miles in each with no problems whatsoever. The only problem is that Subaru dealers are very few and far between.

The X Trail diesel looks good, and it has a huge sunroof like the Forester for lamping out of.

Don

Check out the suzuki grand vitara 2.0ltr diesel, I ran one for 3 years, not the best looking but fairly capable off road, good mpg, comfortable and jap reliabilty, would choose one fo these over a freelander any day, can`t vouch for the new shape but the 04/05 are great, if you can get a low miler

Edited by Mitch

X-TRAIL 2.2DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my list exactly fitted your requiremnets and i havent looked back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

get a decent set o tyres on it and you will be surprised where it goes.

plenty room, seats drop in seconds, i get 36-38 mpg fro mine

wife will like driving it

forrestors good to but no where near economical and dunnoe where you are but deisle n unleaded same price here now!!! deisel better economy wise

sauer

I've had quite a few 4wd's I'd say a lot of the choice rests on how rough the tracks are when you go out shooting. Discoveries are cracking motors where its really rough but unless you are an enthusiast the maintainance can hurt the wallet plus if your wife drives the clutch is hard work (which is why there isn't one sat outside after a lengthy rebuild project). Mk 1 Freelanders have issues with head gaskets the TD4 is the better model but if the viscous diff is faulty it can be an expensive problem. Our current rides are both 2.5 Subaru Outbacks exceptional on road and cope well with farm tracks . fuel consumption is mid 20's about town and 32+ on long trips up to Scotland and they have better ground clearance than the standard Legacy I used to ping the exhaust on the grass humps on tracks though never did significant damage. Oh and you get a rear slide sunroof for gun turret usage the front sunroof is usually tilt only.

X-TRAIL 2.2DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my list exactly fitted your requiremnets and i havent looked back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

get a decent set o tyres on it and you will be surprised where it goes.

plenty room, seats drop in seconds, i get 36-38 mpg fro mine

wife will like driving it

forrestors good to but no where near economical and dunnoe where you are but deisle n unleaded same price here now!!! deisel better economy wise

sauer

what size are your rims and what tyres you got...mines got 17" wheels and im struggling...

shaun