Finding info out about a Browning Shotgun

rarms

I have just bought a Browning and was told it is a B425.

Is there anyway I can date it and see this as it doesnt have any model details on the gun that I can see.

One of the proof marks says something like 11/98 is this the date it was proofed?

Anyone know?

Cheers

Kyle

Rarms I have just looked at my 425 and the only thing on it that says 425 is on the underside of the action in front of the trigger guard.

I believe the only differance between the 325 and the 425 is the barrel construction, with the 425 being monoblock.

Kyle mine has 184 stamped on the bottom of each barrel by the proof marks.

I am sure mine was made long after 1(Jan) 84 if that is the interpretation.

As regards monoblock (and I am no expert and stand to be corrected) it means that instead of both barrels being seperate tubes fitted to the breech block, only one is seperate, the other being machined as part of the block.

Might help with the age

http://www.griffinhowe.com/proof_date_codes.cfm

or here http://www.hallowellco.com/proof_date_codes.htm

And here

Notes on the Proof of Shotguns £5.00 from the birmingham proof house online shop .

http://www.gunproof.com/shop/system/index.html

"

Notes on the Proof of Shotguns & Other Small Arms This booklet is issued by the Birmingham and London Proof Authorities and gives British Proof Marks and current Proof Rules, foreign Proof Marks by country, pre and post War German Markings and other useful information, 5 ¾” x 8 ¼”, 37 pages" as booklet above from another website .

Is that the same game scene as in my pics?

Does it have vented barrels as well? Mine have vents between the top and bottom barrels.

There is a grade 3 on guntrader for £945 and from the blurry pic it seems to have the same engraving as mine :s

Rarms,

The serial numbers on both my Ultra XS and my 425 follow the same format. i.e. 12345XX

Your pics are the same action as my 425, but with different engraving. That could be down to the Grade, mine is a Grade 1, with basic scrolling, but I believe the higher grades had better engraving as well as woodwork.

Right, a bit of development, I have found two identically engraved and vented guns on gun trader as "Browning Ultra 'S'"

A chap on guntrader's forum has said that from my first pic about the 187 before the proof mark implies 18.7mm which would mean it was back bored, something which he reckons was never done on the 425 model.

I have spoken to BWM Arms and he has agreed the 425's were never back bored, so it looks like it isn't a 425, and so presumably is an ultra 's'

He also said Browning UK don't exist anymore, so I guess I will never know what model of Ultra it is, but he did say all of the Ultras were between grades 2 and 3.

Thanks for everyones help :rolleyes:

Kyle

• 1 month later...