A FEW TIPS FOR USING MAGNETS

I thought it would be a good idea to give my thoughts and experiences on using Magnets.

I would like to start by saying they are not my favorite gadget, but they have their uses (on the right day, at the right time)

TOP TEN TIPS... (really 11)

1. Always 30 meters from the head of the pattern.

2. Close in, not well out in the field.

3. Get the magnet low, really low down, we don't use the stand unless in tall crops.

4. Angle the birds one facing into the magnet and one facing out (so that you can see both birds at the same time) not both birds facing out.

5. Speed control set to a natural Pigeon coming in speed.

6. Replace the birds that you started with as soon as you have shot 2 fresh ones (they look 100 times better than old birds)

7. Start the day off without it.

8. It will work best when the day is going along nicely and then the birds start shying away. Show them the magnet at this point for instant results...

9. Use very long arms, ours are 7 foot long on each side (5ft arm with 2ft extension bar) they eat the batteries at this length, but they work far better.

10. Don't bother with it on calm/still days, they will scare more birds than they will bring in, much better with plenty of wind.

I know that I said TOP TEN TIPS but this one is also important...

11. Make sure the colour of the magnet is correct for the time of year and the crop you are shooting over...

a. BROWN & BLACK for drillings (cheap fence paint, totally matt in colour when dry)

b. SAND & BLACK for laid Barley and stubble (exterior house paint, sandtex etc)

c. GREEN & BLACK for Rape (any car paint supplier will make this up for you, ask for olive drab with plenty of matting agent added)

GO LIGHT ON ADDING THE MATT BLACK (blackboard paint) APPLY TO THE MAGNET IN SMALL SPLODGES ALL OVER WITH A SMALL PAINT BRUSH. WITHOUT THE BLACK THE MAGNET DOES NOT BLEND IN WELL, IT IS A MUST...

Hope this helps...

All the very best

Gary

I thought that tip 4 might be misunderstood.

Some/most magnets allow you to angle the attitude of the bird on the end of the arms. If yours does not do this, then I suggest that you alter the arms to allow it.

If you place the birds on normally, then they would be flat/level, by turning the bird outwards or inwards it would then have an angle.

Angle 1 bird to face outwards and the other bird to face in towards the machine, in fact both birds (looking from side on) would have the same attitude. If you angle both outwards, while the magnet is turning it looks really odd from a distance (something I get to see far more than anyone) (viewing patterns and set ups from a distance)

And the other question:

No, I am not in favor of any gadgets or gismos, although to the experienced they give us options to try when things get difficult, they are not a quick fix, overall they won't enable you to shoot more birds. Decoying skills are far more important.

Similar: A scope on a rifle makes a good shot far better, and a bad shot far worse...

If I still have not explained the turning the birds one out & one in very well, please, someone try to do it better for me...

All the very best

Gary

Gary,

Good to see you back on the Forum - thought you'd given up, like a number of the "Old Timers".

Very sensible advice you have given generally, and I understand perfectly what you mean about angling one bird in and one out.

The only point that I would pick you up on is number 8 - if the "day is going along very nicely", the birds should not be shying away - only if you have several on their backs in the killing zone or it's approaches, and that's easily put right.

Most people would consider taking the magnet in if they were really piling in, as you should have by that time so many dead un's out as decoys, you won't need the magnet.

Double H...

You missed the point, maybe I was too brief in my explanation...

Scenario: The day is going fine, birds decoying well, getting to mid afternoon... The birds start to get really hungry and want to get on another part of the field, totally ignoring your now pretty impressive pattern. A quick check (to see if anything is not quite right amongst the decoys) but all seems perfect.

The fact is that the birds now know where you are. Just about everything that was coming to that particular field has given your decoys the once over and nearly got caught out in doing so.

Two choices:

1. Pack in and move to where the birds now want to be, (not really a good idea it would take too long to move, and the day would be over before I get all sorted out)

2. SHOW THEM A MAGNET

I have done this 100s of times, previously shot at birds seem to throw caution to the wind and pile in, the movement when the birds are really hungry is just what they want to see. This dodge can turn an otherwise good day into something really special. Putting the magnet out at the correct time is the key to success...

However, if the birds had seen the magnet earlier on in the day and then it was brought in, it has no effect whatsoever, in fact, it pretty much puts them off...

That is the point I was trying to get across...

All the very best

Gary

I'm not thick honest ermm....................

Do you mean by angling the birds towards the machine when it rotates it would appear they are slightly flying side ways :rolleyes:?:thumbs:?:(???

Or do you mean angling the bird ie with the wing nearest the machine

dipped down and on the other side of the magnet the outer wing dipped down.

And just to complicate things...

I can alter the height of the arms on my magnet so given the opportunity(ie on fresh drilling or small crops) do you think putting the arms at different heights would be an idea or is this what you mean.

I always try to set the magnet up so it isn't flat ie the birds aren't flying horizontally

so perhaps setting the arms at different heights could work?:(?:(

What do you think?:(

Sorry to be a pain mate I'm just interested,

Cheers

Aubs

Good tips. :rolleyes:

My interpretation of the "birds on the magnet" query;

Imagine the magnet stuck in the ground , one arm to your left, the other to the right.

Fix the pigeon on the right arm and tilt it, so its back is facing outwards.

The pigeon on the left arm is fixed on and tilted so its back is facing inwards.

Naturally, both pigeons will have their beaks facing the same direction. :(

I actually saw a Magnet set up, with one bird flying "backwards", looked a bit like the Red Arrows. :thumbs: :( :( .

Gary,

Good to see you back on the Forum - thought you'd given up, like a number of the "Old Timers".

Could it be that a professional like GI has the same problem as the rest of us...lack of shooting opportunities at this time of year? GI did you post in 'where have all the pigeons gone' ? Be interesting to hear your views.

Have to agree...magnets are not my favourite decoy item. They work occassionally but are certainly not the all time must have item in your kit bag. Fieldcraft is all. In fact without it you shouldn't even be out there.

• 2 months later...

keep trying new ways i do ,i will have 9 crows out there as well as the 36 pigeons shells and 12 full body pigeon deaks and two magpies on the fence as well as two pigeons in the tree if it all looks nataural to your self 9 times put of ten it should work :o but it dont :D:D funny thing is as pigeon, you go to all that trouble and it lets you down at the last minit :o

Like every other sport n other things you get taught. A professional, a mate who knows, books, there's all sorts of ways to learn. After all you don't get to drive a car without learning, you don't get to play (a good) game of football without training. Need I go on?

I've seen people who've shot for years and they can't shoot worth a damn but will they pay for proffessional lessons? Like hell will they. Short sighted IMO as it would improve their enjoyment (and that of others) no end.

sorry but you are talking about 2 different things learning to shoot and fieldcraft are not the same.as for driving a car without learning, think about it.fieldcraft like

watercraft, is about animal behavier, weather conditions and so on.it comes from being out there. i know lots of people that have very good fieldcraft who dont own guns. infact most of your last post contradicts this.( Fieldcraft is all. In fact without it you shouldn't even be out there.)

Thought you might like my findings of last 40 trips to 4 different shoots, locally over 2 1/2 years (No,s are Numbers of Birds shot per trip)

With magnet use. 27, 46, 11, 17, 22, 9, 3, 36, 18, 22, 35, 7, 9, 18, 23, 1, 22, 15, 15, 72 Total 428.

With Shell deeks, flapper and wands,12, 0, 11, 56, 9, 23, 34, 31, 19, 7, 0, 2, 24, 54, 22, 21, 13, 17, 0, 65. Total 420

I can detail the date weather and crop if necessary.

I know its sad but Ive always been a recorder of statistics and have game and have bird sightings, & fish bag records back to the mid 80,s.

Perhaps I should get out more. ( less) :/

You can draw you own conclusions as to the effectiveness of the Magnet. Personally I think it works best in big expanses of arable where birds can be drawn off the flight from miles away. On my mixed shoots ( Typical Cotswold Heartland ) it has become a bit of a burden and Im thinking of going back to basics.

Cheers,

FM.

so where if not out there are you going to learn this craft.:/??

Markbivvy.

Just trying to answer your question.

Sure there's lots of people out there with knowledge and no guns. There's also lots of people out there with guns and no knowledge and worse...they lack the understanding so sometimes they need to be taught. Self education has its limitations...as in; employ a teenager now before they forget everything they know! :/