How do people camo there gun??

D1zzle

Hi All

I seem to find pigeons are very crafty at my new shoot and when i am laying in wait as soon as one comes into sight and i move the rifle to aim the pigeons gone??

Is this because thay can see some thing reflecting from the rifles barrel or scope??

How have people camo'ed there gun does any one stick camo tape around the barrel stock etc??

Pictures would be great for some ideas!

Thanks all!

If you do want to stick camo tape on your gun, do make sure it is the proper non-sticky type, that only sticks to itself. No-Mar tape is one such brand.

Only a few days ago I finally got round to removing the camo sticky-back-plastic/ fablon type stuff that a previous owner put all over one of my rifles, it was a dreadful sticky slimy mess that took over an hour to clean up.

Edited by john_r

• 2 weeks later...

Problem with tapes etc is,water getting under and making your gun go rusty,it wont take long for rust to ruin your gun.I got my mrs to make barrel socks for my shotguns from a old realtree t-shirt,they work a treat and keep shiny barrels down to a minimum,and the good thing is,they slip on and off easily to allow me to clean my gun :blink: so no chance of water penetrating under tape :welcomeani: BB

i bought realtree tape, big mistake, it's about 2inch wide, and you get the same pattern on the whole roll-you cannot match it up! besides that, it just looked a mess so i removed it and binned the rest, would suggest camo gun sock-because the only rifles they dont seem suitable for are underlevers-because of the lever & the breach area would have to be cut out. there are how to guides on the web. good luck.

be careful with the sticky-camo stuff, as some brands are quiet porrus, and will let water settle between the tape and the gun barrel, rusting the dam thing to hell.

I have recently trialled "jack pyke" camo tape and its good, being non adhesive and self clinging its easy to take off.

The tape is matt, breathable cloth and gives a better grip, cutting holes for swivels etc is a doddle, as well as making the rifle quieter should it be knocked against anything.

One roll did my CZ .17 so its not that expensive and as said I would avoid the glue on sticky stuff which will lead to major probs with rust.

Rgds D2D.

Rifle wrap.

Assorted coloured wool (not real wool but the man made stuff). Cut wool into foot lengths by getting a length of wood, knock in a nail at each end and wind the wool round four times. Once you have a goodly bunch wrapped around the nails cut at either end with scissors and lift the bunch off.

Get a 4 ft length of elastic and knot the elastic around the middle of the wool, I used a double granny as its easy. If you prefer you could sew it I suppose but I can't be fagged to do all that.

Repeat at 3" intervals along the length of laccy.

Put a small loop at one end of the elastic and knot in a length of cord at the other. The elastic loop goes round the silencer, tie the other end round the pistol grip.

Job took me an hour and a half and cost £6.

DSC00193.jpg

Edited by mick miller

I find the jack pyke ,loose leaf very good,i also use some loose leaf cammo,sheet which i cut strips from then just wrap around rifle using elastic bands,its very effective in woodlands.but also use the sniper rifle wraps,depending on what ground im going on.

Im using jack pyke loose leaf (LLCS loose leaves)and suit in my wittle pic to the left.

Edited by mickyfinn

I find the jack pyke ,loose leaf very good,i also use some loose leaf cammo,sheet which i cut strips from then just wrap around rifle using elastic bands,its very effective in woodlands.but also use the sniper rifle wraps,depending on what ground im going on.

Im using jack pyke loose leaf (LLCS loose leaves)and suit in my wittle pic to the left.

I too,use the Jack Pyke LLCS (Light Leaf Concealment System).

Pretty good stuff!

• 4 months later...

hi mate, iv had good results with `krylon ultra-flat camouflage` spray paint.. its dry in 15mins n chip proof in a week if u want ideas on patterns and methods youtubes full of them

iv used on shotguns/moderators/airguns/paintball gus ect ect with no probs i strip out what i want to cover ,hang it on the washing line n experiment till im happy

I used gun socks for years then experimented with scrim & bits of scrap DPM material & went back to gun socks.

Just discovered the Jack Pyke Stealth gun tape.

Easy to apply, comes off easy, reuseable, sticks to itself but clingy enough to grip the gun.

Warm to the touch in winter, protects metal work from sweaty hands in summer, grippy & non slip compared to gun socks & the most important part.

Matt, non reflective finnish.

Some materials used for gun socks, allthough not shiney, does seem to show up in bright sunlight.

Check these out.

Pt1

http://www.youtube.com/user/gunvidder#p/a/u/1/kj3WCw9t2vE

Pt2

http://www.youtube.com/user/gunvidder#p/a/u/0/BwXchijJs4Y