Fast 4x4 that goes offroad?

notsosureshot

it is a goody!!

Personally having had quick cars you tend to need to enter a different mindset with a 4x4 and enjoy driving it for presence on the road and off road ability. I've a cheapie L200 at the moment bought as I needed something I didn't care too much about throw dogs etc in and get in with wellies on and not care. running costs are minimal 30mpg all day long does over the motorway limit but you'd not want to go too far in it with semi off road tyres on. But gets me to work every day, I'm renovating a house at the moment and you can pick most things up without giving a toss about putting back seats down and getting the car dirty. Plus its a cracking shooting bus. So I'd not discount a slower vehicle better off road and justify it on the basis of being a better lifestyle vehicle that shouldn't get you speeding points. I actually find it more relaxing driving something that you don't try and drive at breakneck speed

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll chip in here and try to ward you straight off anything made by Land Rover. Discounting my increasing disaffection with the LR marque, I got to drive a Touareg V10 diesel last week, and I was/am mighty impressed. So much so that it's the only 4x4 I would now consider.

The best ultra-reliable and terrifyingly fast 4x4 on the market is the blindingly-good Audi RS6 Avant. Buy one of them and a beaten-up shooting truck, instead of depending on one car.

What you want is a bobtailed ragerover classic v8, which you can supercharge,you could put some leather buket seats if you want luxuary, so its fast, comftable and a good shooting truck what does it cost 5grand max :lol:

Here is one off interweb

bobtail.JPG

RS6 new shapes are still too costly otherwise I'd have bought one already, love the things and they really are an amazing drive. I just cant justify 40k for a car which i just KNOW will get dinged the first time I park it. I have a cunning plan for the 4x4, fit some side rails with protection, so they dont get damaged but some door opening numpties car does.

Its looking like a V10 Treg. Reading up on which one to buy. It seems the 04 models are full of "bugs" so probably be an 06+. Just a question of waiting to find the right one. Im afraid I agree with your comments on LR. They arent what they used to be, but then again that applies to BMW, Mercedes....the list goes on. The build quality/reliability just isnt there any more. People are turning to Japanese marques for a reason.

Edward that looks a very capable vehicle indeed but Im a bit too attached to my "mod cons" to go for it. However, if I wanted a purely shooting vehicle I'd seriously think about one.

This has turned into a much broader discussion than I first thought, its also kind of fun :lol:

What about a Volvo VX90? They're not the most powerful of 4x4s, but they are indeed reliable and pretty competent off the beaten?

I forgot to mention the Mercedes G55 AMG, the tricked-out G-Wagen with side exhausts and more BHP than you could ever need. Or is that a stupid suggestion?

My uncles got an xc90, its better off road than a ranger rover sport :lol::oops:

with the same tyres on and same driver?

I seriously doubt LR developed the terrain response system for the RRS/D3 and FFRR for it to be beaten off road by what really IS a school run 4x4!

Edited by J@mes

with the same tyres on and same driver?

I seriously doubt LR developed the terrain response system for the RRS/D3 and FFRR for it to be beaten off road by what really IS a school run 4x4!

No but they were both on road tires (perrli scorpians and goodyear eagals, I think)

But the RRS didnt have enough clearance up this wet rocky track, he spent hours fiddling with the ride hight etc, volvo went straight up (with alot of speed) :lol: having said that I would prefer the RRS over a volvo :oops:

Unless you're doing serious off-roading, I reckon it's a load of old cock anyway :lol:

Any of those 4 x 4's would drive on a farm or forest track OK. I take a VW Polo offroad and it's OK, as long as we're not talking driving it off the side of a mountain :oops:

My uncles got an xc90, its better off road than a ranger rover sport :lol::oops:

A colleague uses a RR Sport Supercharged as his farm truck/shooting bus/general run-around. The car hasn't got a flat body panel on it from several years of towing fuel bowsers etc and has proved its worth as a capable off-roader on fairly heavy Suffolk land. I'd be pretty confident that an RR Sport would humiliate an XC90 in identical conditions.

Any 4x4's interior looks gash alongside a Range Rover's. I grant you that the XC90's is pretty shoddy.

Anyone who buys a Lexus 4x4 and does not live in the congestion charge zone, is probably a homosexual and an eco-mentalist vegetarian. Buy one at your peril.

The sooner that you buy a Toerag, the better.

I used to think that until I saw some plonker in an X5 spinning his road tyres on wet grass. Oh how we laughed...and laughed...and laughed. In the end he got a tow from a mondeo!@#

Yes, I think a Treg is the way forward here. I didnt really think a range rovers interior was very good to be honest. Not compared to say, the touareg. hmm.

Edited by notsosureshot

my brothers boss has run a tourareg for a good few years now and loves it but though he shoots it stays in the farmyard where it won't get dirty :good: thats the only problem of having a nice 4x4 and you see it all the time on shoots. Nice shiny 4x4 and it doesn't get used might as well have a tasty estate car

I use my V6 diesel Touareg daily and offraod for shooting. I bought a £1500 Range Rover first 'cos I didn't want the Touareg getting dirty but like most Land Rovers it never worked (incoming, DUCK)n so the VW goes everywhere now, the depreciation is so bad does it really matter if it has a few bumps and scratches on it!

The road tyres are rubbish off road but General Grabber do some all terrains which help massively. Also mine has the air suspension option which helps with clearance and softens the ride over bumps. I once had a V10 tdi chase me down a French Alpine pass - I was in my 340bhp Audi S6 at the time!

I think they are outstanding so what about one of these;

Touareg R50 model. It uses an uprated version of the V10 TDI, making it one of the fastest SUVs on the market, launching from standstill to 62mph in 6.7 seconds and on to 147mph.

Only a limited number of R50s - which have a massive 626lb ft torque - will be available in Britain. Each one is marked out by a customised cabin with plenty of ‘R’ badges, heavily bolstered seats and Nappa leather trimming.

Bling to the max but pretty quick.

I saw the R50. They lowered the ride height and stuck bits of trim on it which I'd think would make it almost useless off road. The torque figure is even higher than the V10 (550 ft/lb) but I dont see myself towing circus elephants so the V10 would be tons of power.

Either way, it must be getting near to a tractor for torque lol. The V10 was the one used to pull the 747 as far as I know, for the R50 they'd need to pull a fully assembled oil rig as a test.

Im looking to change my car soon and I'd prefer a 4x4 which I can take offroad occassionally for shoots, I'll also use the vehicle for the occassional long road run so it needs to be a cruiser. The main problem is that I dont want to lose any performance over my current weekender.

I've looked at the usual suspects and also some more "unusual" offerings but I just cant find anything I'd buy. Running costs arent an issue as I will do very little mileage.

So far I've considered:

BMW X5 4.8is - Looks useless offroad.

Range Rover Sport - Build quality looks **** compared to the german rivals.

Porsche Cayenne S - Some people claim its decent off road, anyone got experience of it? Not sure on the looks, its ugly.

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT - Amazingly quick but looks like it belongs in a rap video and again, useless offroad.

VW Touareg V10 - Perhaps the most sensible choice so far. It appears capable offroad and can tow a 747 but some people think the turbo is a problem.

MB ML55 - Not shelling out for the 63 and again there are questions over its offroad capability.

So all in all, I feel stuffed. Can you really get "extreme" performance and retain offroad capability or is it an impossible task? Any suggestions?

PS. I am not a footballers wife. :good:

porsche and vw made on the _same_ production line......x5's blew up when they took them to dakar......vw is worth a punt i'd say...

I've not got a fortune to spend, basically the price of a brand new tricked out mondeo. Its enough to get what I want (not a mondeo) but I've got to spend it quick before her indoors gets her hands on it and goes shoe shopping AGAIN.

lol

Think its almost certainly going to be a Touareg.

PS. If I get a third vehicle I would lose no claims bonus on one of them right? I read that somewhere but its never come up before.

Edited by notsosureshot

depending what you want the SUV part for, why not consider a dodge extended cab pickup with a cummins? They aren't common over here, but I've seen enough casually to know that you can find them if you look. They will do anything you want offroad, but are pretty fast onroad with a tuner chip. My brother in law has one that has been modified a bit. He's putting out almost 1100 ft-lb and over 700 bhp. Haven't timed it off the line, but I'd wager it is a 6-7second car for 0-60 if you can shift fast enough. My wife's 120d m-sport is (I think ) a 5.7s 0-60 and his truck would just about catch it off the line. And, you can chirp the tires at 60 mph in 4th gear.

And, you could sell you van for the 3k and invest that money into the truck on top of what you already have.

If you do go with the taureg, don't get the roof rack or sunroof. They are VERY noisy on the highway at anything over 60 mph.

Thanks

Rick