Fast 4x4 that goes offroad?

notsosureshot

My uncles got an xc90, its better off road than a ranger rover sport :rolleyes::lol:

Its also a really uncomfortable ride in the back, virgin sent one to pick me up for a flight recently and it was the most uncomfortable ride to LHR I've ever had...**** ride and a take tarquin to prep school mobile...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not got a fortune to spend, basically the price of a brand new tricked out mondeo. Its enough to get what I want (not a mondeo) but I've got to spend it quick before her indoors gets her hands on it and goes shoe shopping AGAIN.

lol

Think its almost certainly going to be a Touareg.

PS. If I get a third vehicle I would lose no claims bonus on one of them right? I read that somewhere but its never come up before.

Most places will mirror your NCB if you ask them - if they wont, they lose your business!

simples!

I am planning on chipping my Touareg using a Bluefin from Superchips, which is reversible, that will give it an extra 50-odd bhp so up to about 275. Not sure if that is enough performance for you but is another option in terms of balanacing cost, economy, insurance, performance etc.

Also what about a Q7 - the new V12 diesel is due out soon, but will be mighty expensive to buy and run and there are planty of 4.2 V8 diesels around. A chipped Q5 V6 tdi may also be worth considering - more car-like as it is smaller and lighter, beautifully screwed together.

cheers,

• 1 month later...

I am on my 4th Subaru (herself has the 3rd) I'm with Mungler if you want a fashion statement you don't want a Scooby . However if you need a car that will get you to Scotland cruising effortlessly at the legal limit <cough>, will perform better than adequately on farm tracks gravel roads and provided you are sensible on rough mountain tracks then the Outback and Forester tick the boxes. The plus point is if you drop the kids off you are not driving something rediculously overgunned. We have the 'poverty spec' 2.5i Outbacks aircon 2x sunroof tricky automatic 4WD aircon etc but you can go upmarket- with the 3litre you get very comfy leather seats and 225bhp (we only have 160) or go for the turbo nutter option Forester 2.5 turbo S and you have a car that accelerates like the Rally car 0-60 5.8 seconds and depending on the source around 250bhp. I did previously have Legacy GL but the extra ground clearance of the Outback makes it a better tool for the rougher tracks. One other thing is the MPG cruising at the top end is better than 30mpg urban it falls to low 20's mpg.

For extreme, there is the brabus gelander wagen which does 0-60 in something like 4 seconds. or the cayenne turbo S, if you can live with the looks. I think you've probably hit the nail on the head with the toureg as a decent real world compromise.

I really don't understand all the love for the range rovers interior, after driving one recently I thought it compared very poorly with the german offerings. Saying that I love my classic V8 range rover. with oversize offroad tyres, performance is nigh on nil, but offroad it is a whole lot of fun! (It's now a trailer only vehicle)

finally as a side thought, if clearance wasnt so much of an issue , what about the superb s500 4-matic ?

Another vote for the Subaru Forester. I am on my second, my brother now has my first. Fantastic value for money, okay it will not win many beauty contests (but then neither would the driver), but it is very smooth on the road, fast, and will go most places you would want to off road. I am out doing something shooting related everyday and it gets me and my gear where I want to be, quickly.