Trailer Test

Sammy_D

Hello all

I am 22 and in need of getting a lisence to tow a trailer. Does anyone know how I go about passing such a test?

How much do they cost, and what is needed to know for passing one?

Ive driving small trailers on the back of quads and the odd cattle in out cattle trailer around the yards so have a little experence.

Hope you nice people can help lol

Thanks

Sammy D

my mate had this question .

if its a 750 kg or under without brakes and not for comercial use aparently you dont need to take the test .

check with your local dvla not nts or a driving school , coz they just want your money.

cheers

adi :unsure:

find a local HGV trainer as they tend to do trailers too.

test costs £100 ish, lessons are expensive too!

you can of course learn on the road with your dad if you put L plates on the tow car and trailer - I have towed like this before.

have a look on the DVLA website for more info.

sure you don,t need a licence for a trailer,mates boat is on a braked trailer rated at 1500kg and you don,t need a licence for it.i ,ve had a six ton trailer on the back of a agri tractor on the road.caravans,horse boxes etc don,t need a licence.have a look on your driving licence all you restrictions are on there.

If I need a test to tow a trailer I am in the ****.

Seriously though there is no requirement for a trailer test as far as I know, wouldn't be a bad idea if there was one for a caravan though.

Unless it is a condition on the new licences (never seen one so don't know) all you need is a bit of practice with somebody who knows what they are about.

Ah, that's new to me, good job I beat that deadline by a few years. :hmm:

Does that mean that ALL future caravan owners after that date will have to do it then? :unsure:

Surely we will not have a nation of caravanners who can actually reverse their pride and joy. They'll put the remote mover maker out of business with that.

Summary

You must hold a full driving licence to tow anything.

Most drivers who passed their test before 1 January 1997 have licence categories allowing them to drive vehicle and trailer combinations weighing up to 8.25 tonnes.

With effect from 1 January 1997 the second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) came into effect, affecting new drivers passing their test after that date and HGV drivers who obtained their licence after 31 December 1991.

The net result is that new drivers will only be allowed to drive and tow the following combinations:

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes (category :good: with a 750kg trailer (4.25 tonnes total MAM).

Category B vehicles with larger trailers i.e. > 750kg, provided that the combined MAM does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and the gross MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. To be able to tow combinations outside this ruling requires the passing of an additional test.

New HGV drivers and those who have passed their HGV tests since 1 January 1992 will be restricted to towing trailers up to 750kg until they pass an additional test.

Detail of the Regulation

The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) Regulations 1990 SI 1990 No 842 classifies vehicles according to either:

"Maximum authorised mass" (permitted maximum weight). Vehicles over 3,500kg MAM are classified as LARGE GOODS VEHICLES (LGV's) ? Number of seats. Vehicles having more than 8 seats (not including the drivers) are classified as PASSENGER CARRYING VEHICLES (PCV's)

Requires Additional qualifications for people to drive LGV's & PCV's

If I need a test to tow a trailer I am in the ****.

Seriously though there is no requirement for a trailer test as far as I know, wouldn't be a bad idea if there was one for a caravan though.

Badshot, have you too had to get out of your tractor/combine to help a numpty reverse his caravan into a passing place, to allow you to pass? There's a great video somewhere on YouTube or the Farmers Weekly website of a stand-off on a lane between a JD equipped with triple mowers, and Volvo with caravan. The tractor driver filmed it, giving a running commentary before he lost his rag in a Basil Fawlty-esque fashion and marched over to the Volvo to reverse the hateful caravan himself.

Worse than that baldrick, we have a small site on the farm. :good:

I see it almost daily where people just cannot reverse to save their life.

The other thing I get a lot is motorhomes on wet ground. If a front wheel drive vehicle is reversed up to the edge of the field it will not pull itself out. If it had been parked parallel you would have the option to go backwards or forwards AND a front wheel drive will in most situations reverse itself out of a hole that it would not pull itself out of.

Have to say I wouldn't have a caravan personally, unless top gear was in charge of the site I was visiting. :hmm:

Badshot, have you too had to get out of your tractor/combine to help a numpty reverse his caravan into a passing place, to allow you to pass? There's a great video somewhere on YouTube or the Farmers Weekly website of a stand-off on a lane between a JD equipped with triple mowers, and Volvo with caravan. The tractor driver filmed it, giving a running commentary before he lost his rag in a Basil Fawlty-esque fashion and marched over to the Volvo to reverse the hateful caravan himself.

Would LOVE to watch that if it can be found!

Although, somehow, I feel it can't be a patch on the 'Soccer AM' overtaking tractor. :good:

You will like this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJdfhkPa5M

FM :hmm: