sako varmint / Quad any ideas

varmintator

Hi there I bought a sako varmint about 2 months ago and before buying it often looked at it on sako's web site. Dribbled etc lol :thumbs:

It along with the hunter is no longer there on the site and any mention of 22lr apart from the new quad.

Have they stopped making the varmint/ hunter?

If you want to get a quad would you have to get variation on your licence for all 4 calibers , is this a bit tricky.

Just out of interest as I am very happy with the varmint its a fantastic rifle.

In all honesty I think the Sako Quad is nothing more than a very expensive gimmick. :thumbs:

If you have a .22 rimfire and a .17 hmr, why would you want a .22 magnum and a .17 Mach 2. You could sit in your house all night wondering which configuration to take out, and then you would have to ****** about with the scope settings which would be different for all four set-ups, not to mention having to p!ss about changing barrels. :)

If you have a .22 rimfire, why not just go for a .17hmr and have done with it.

Be a lot cheaper in the long run. :)

G.M.

gemini is right

i was talking to a friend who is the gunsmith for chris potters, and the guy in there who runs the shop now richard i believe his name is, has got hold of a quad, and hates it, he said it couldnt group at all with any barrels, im affraid as gemini says, its a gimik

i dare say it will sell, but you have to ask why, they didnt even do the right thing, it should be a barrel which changes with the scope mauser m66 style, that way you never need to re zero (in theory) unlike the sako system, hopefully sako will see the error in their ways and sell them all to the yanks

im sure the people at Sako would be interested in your findings DG.

the link posted is of a sighting system specific to the quad rifle

http://www.sako.fi/quad_sighting.html

if you were to take a little time and see the amount of money invested by the likes of Sako, Tika, Brno and so on , GIMIK would be the last thing they'd want attached to their reputation ,the little i know is what has been told me by other shooters of the system ,they like it for ease of use, repetability in accuracy , and a package that can be taken out for the weekend or trip in the boonies, 4 guns one case .

i understand that the "smith" you spoke to didnt like it ,but please dont write it off yet ,im sure the YANKS you speak of will like it ,the 2 Brits and 3 Canadians i spoke to do :thumbs:

Martin

my gun smith did not cast verdict on it, this was the word of the current owner of Chris potter guns, the largest sole importer of beretta's into this country i believe. (note that sako is owned by beretta, or are they both owned by GMK :thumbs: .......any way..back to the point)

in my opinion a rifle should always be re zero'd everytime anything is done to its barrel, things go on in rifles and their barrels that we still dont fully understand, and they are not always consistant.

this would not be so much the case if the barrel had a scope mounted on it, so at least the scope and the barrel would always be true, but even then, any change in the stock/barrel fit, or fit to the action would affect the resonance of the barrel and could do anything to your POI

trust me im such a big sako fan, i would love to like this gun, but i cant like something i feel is fundomentally flawed, and that a trusted source has said is not as good as it should be.

just another punter here with his own inside information and views to match :)

I’m sorry Martin but I stand by the word “Gimmick”.

If you put a .22 barrel onto an action and then zero the scope at 60 yds, and then put a .22 magnum barrel onto the same action with the same scope, there is no way possible that the two POI will be the same… the scope will have to be re-set and you would then expect to be able to shoot out to 120yds

Likewise if you then replace the .22 magnum with the .17hmr the POI will be different again and you would then want to shoot out to 150yds etc, etc

And why on earth would you then require a .17 mach2 :(

You would spend so much time pithering about with the scope that it would be a nightmare.

And for the cost (and especially if you already own a .22 Finnfire) it would be cheaper and far less trouble to simply buy another rifle in .17hmr.

I have been talking to some shooters worldwide, who are more than a little dissatisfied with Beretta and their attitude to their customers when it comes to providing certain spares. The ejector spring is the main bug-bear, which has already broken on mine, and I was asked for an astronomical sum for a replacement because they won’t sell the spring on its own (costs about 50p :thumbs: ).

They want to sell the entire magazine housing which comes complete with the spring already fitted (cost @ £40 :) ). I made a new spring out of a bit of piano wire….cost me ******-all.

So even if I was thinking about a .17hmr it most certainly wouldn’t be a Sako, but an Anschutz. :)

G.M.

that got the ball rolling :D couple of hackles bristling claws out :(

no offence intended boys ,just airing a point of veiw from over here . :thumbs:

i understand both points of veiw ,myself i wont criticise until i try it myself , personaly i like the idea of a mutli barrel system, i use one myself ,as to the quad ,i have no use for it ,but from an engineering point of veiw i love it.

as i posted from the guys who use it they seem to enjoy the system from a hunting point of veiw.

your point of Berreta's service record is a very valid one, ive noticed the increase in disgruntled owners , just in my province ,im talking across the board, not only rifle but handgun and shotgun ,no explantion seems to be forthcoming either ?? their sales though do not seem to reflect this trend ??

My original thoughts , the amount of money invested in research and development would be high ,the results would have to have been more than favourable to even think of marketing such a product ,so though it may not suit the masses (the likes of you , i, and many others ) there is a market there and i guess they found it :D

your choice in the Anschutz :) a very wise choice indeed ,one of the best platforms out there and yes ive used a number, from match to field , phenominal quality .

thanks for the responce guys ,talk at you soon :)

Martin