Ford Ranger

wymberley

Hi, All,

Got a Mk3 which is still under warranty but suspect dealer is scratching his head on this one. Problem is, first thing in morning on start up engine turns over OK but it sounds dead, you just know it isn't going to fire up. Try again and it starts but engine malfunction lights up. First time garage "fixed" it. Second time it fixed itself on start up after a 12 mile run and parked for an hour. Happened again today and is now booked into garage early next week. All I can think is damp, first 2 times it had rained over-night and last night out foxing it was one of those nights where everything mists up.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks and cheers

Phil

shouldn't be damp on a diesel, sounds fuel related, either lift pump or a small air leak sometimes a nearly blocked diesel filter can do the same thing. In this weather as long as compression is good the glow plugs are pretty irrelevant so all you need is diesel and air and compress and it should go

Bit odd that the dealer cannot trace the fault on a vehicle that has OBD fitted. I would have thought it was a case of plugging it in and reading the code to get a fair idea of whats going off I have the software and a reader that plugs in to my laptop pity the Scooby has Subaru's own version rather than OBD 2. The Ford Ranger Forums should have the roadside work round to read off the fault codes if you need them .I'm betting a sensor going out of range I had a Rangie that did that due to the **** wiring plugs the Prince of Sudden Unexplained Darkness supplied' :rolleyes:

The dealer should have 'dealer software' and not be relying on obd, if it's before 2004 it may not be obd compliant, anyways i find the mazda engine likes glow plugs, eating them that is and it won't start well without them, if it's much later and a duratorque engine well could be one of a host of problems :yes:

you say " first time garage fixed it "

I would say "no they didnt"

still under warranty i would definatly take it back and leave it with them till they sort it, properly !!!

and ask for a curtesy car. You may have to fork out some serious money once the warranty runs out.

You spend some serious money on a vehicle and it doesnt work properly, or unreliable, not good.

Edited by Dougy

Hi' All,

Many thanks for replies. Garage, Ford dealers, but not where I bought it are being as good as gold. Trouble is the light goes out before the garage gets their hands on it and the engine is running fine while it's on. We've agreed to leave it (assuming it does it again) until the light stays on permanently. Plenty of warranty time left, Dougy.

Phil

• 1 month later...
Hi' All,

Many thanks for replies. Garage, Ford dealers, but not where I bought it are being as good as gold. Trouble is the light goes out before the garage gets their hands on it and the engine is running fine while it's on. We've agreed to leave it (assuming it does it again) until the light stays on permanently. Plenty of warranty time left, Dougy.

Phil

Try mentioning to them to have a look at the EGR valve in the manifold...... Known problem which although produces a fault code does not point them to it. If it is possible to clean it by disassembly (some models it can't be done) it could or could not solve your problem

Worth a look anyway

Starlight 32,

Hi, mate. Many thanks. All fine at present but will not forget your tip. Also, I've twigged that on both occasions that it's happened the light has finally gone out after a good run, longer than my usual short trips about town, etc. Battery? Although my local garage has been very helpful, they're car people not trucks and I have another problem for which they don't have the special tools so I'm booked in at Exeter on Monday at the commercial vehicle branch so I'll have a chat to them. Mind you, typical Ford. Rear diff./prop shaft oil seal leaking. Need car but keeping trips to a minimum, bought oil to top up if needed. Put car on level, let it go cold, took out filler plug followed by copious quantity of oil. Plug back in quick. Supposed to be losing it not making it! Rang garage, "Sensible idea, Sir, but on your model you have to jack up the rear end before filling the diff". **** now I've got even less "in the tank". You'd have thought that when you consider how many of the things that they've made/sold the could have put the filler plug at the right height!

Cheers