harvesting rape

stuppers

On, off, on, off goes the rain....

Anyone have a view on how this affects Pigeon's eating habits? I would imagine they pick a gap in the weather and then feed hard? Ideal time to shoot.

Might get out tomorrow PM and am hoping there will be a few hungry ones out there.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pigeons will just wait for it to dry out on a showery day because this time of year they dont need to rush round feeding every hour of daylight trying to build their fat up like they do during winter.

We have been out combining our Oats since 12 and we are still cutting like mad but the weather is not looking good in the distance.

We have just stopped for a cup of tea and I have noticed lots of pigeons and crows dropping into the field so I shall give the shooters a shout in abit.

As usual day after day of rain. No corn harvested for the past 2 weeks ( just 3 fields cut ) and they have not yet touched the winter rape on my farms yet. And the forcast shows no sign of a let up. Mind you as it was suposed to be a BBQ summer perhaps now they are forcasting a wet August we will have a good chance of dry weather. The other day I was on my way to work in driving drizzlr and strong winds when the met office guy in Norwich ( just 20 miles away ) cheerfully told the world what a hot sunny morning it was . I felt like ringing up and telling him to put down his bit of paper and just look outside .

I think we'll have a clear run at it today, as it dried up from about 1700h onwards. We have a tiny bit more rape to cut, and then we can get amongst the Hereward and Einstein (which is definitely ready to come in).

I went out fox shooting this morning at 0400h, and there was a local farmer out cultivating, enjoying the light morning.

I think we'll have a clear run at it today, as it dried up from about 1700h onwards. We have a tiny bit more rape to cut, and then we can get amongst the Hereward and Einstein (which is definitely ready to come in).

I went out fox shooting this morning at 0400h, and there was a local farmer out cultivating, enjoying the light morning.

yes weather is looking ok for once just been around and about and everyone getting ready to get out on the rape still loads to do before anything else !

We've had a belter of a day, David, and I assume you've had the same constant warm breeze all day down on Mersea (and Badshot, down in Kent). The OSR is all done, and we have begun to make some in-roads into the wheat on a few blocks. That feeling of achievement is bound to be very short-lived though, looking at the met charts for the coming days.

It's my turn in the combine tonight, and I expect we will be out for as long as possible.

Edited by Baldrick

We had 3/4 inch of rain yesterday, first time for ages. Sunny today though. We always have wind here, there is nothing to stop it. It is regularly so windy it blows the rape out of the trailer on the way back to the store.

There have been a few bits of second wheat cut but the first wheats are not quite there yet, will probably get the combine out again over the weekend just to have a look and know the state of play.

How did the v141 go baldrick? Have heard horror stories of it locally, half tonne/acre down compared to "conventional" rape.

Glad you have managed to finish the rape at last. Hope the quality of the hereward is good for you, there is a massive premium over feed for milling now, due to the supposed poor quality in Europe after the bad weather they are experiencing.

David, do you really stop for a tea break in the middle of a catchy harvest? When I get going it doesn't stop unless I need to water the flowers. :yes:

How did the v141 go baldrick? Have heard horror stories of it locally, half tonne/acre down compared to "conventional" rape.

The V141 (HOLL) rape did indeed yield less than our Castille, and my neighbour's Excalibur, both of which came in at about 3.8t/ha as an average. We has some fields where the average was above the magic 4t/ha. The V141 rape yielded abou 3.3t/ha - not as shocking a reduction as the horror stories you'd heard, but still not what we'd hoped for. On that basis, and with Excalibur's excellent performance locally, I can't envisage us putting more land to V141 in 2009-10 unless there's a greater financial incentive.

We didn't get far with the Hereward last night, before the moisture started to increase. What did come in had a good Hagberg though, which is encouraging, with so much more left to cut.

David, do you really stop for a tea break in the middle of a catchy harvest? When I get going it doesn't stop unless I need to water the flowers. :good:

:no::angry:

Not often the main reason we stopped was because we were having trouble with our grain store and we did not have a trailer to unload the combines into, so it was a good time for a cup of tea :good:

Looks like a nice evening there, have you got the zurn header on that oh deere?

Forcast said going to improve this week. If you live in the west country maybe, not the southeast. Wet by Weds again, maybe earlier.

typical bloody farmers, never happy, either too wet or too dry. :good: :good:

Will be trying the wheat tomorrow afternoon, way over 20% today.

We'll be out today and tonight making more headway with the wheat, all being well. The rest of the week, as Badshot says, looks like a write-off.

David, that S690i if quite a piece of work. The header and side knives look a lot neater than those on our Lexions. I expect the JD doesn't break down with the same alarming regularity as the German stuff.

Thats a very very nice combine you have there David :good:

I will have to show you some proper stone-age equipment :good:

Set to on the rape yesterday, one combine blew the seals on the speed variator before it left the yard, and the other blocked up withinin 10m (drum to slow) :good: