harvesting rape

stuppers

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll be out today and tonight making more headway with the wheat, all being well. The rest of the week, as Badshot says, looks like a write-off.

David, that S690i if quite a piece of work. The header and side knives look a lot neater than those on our Lexions. I expect the JD doesn't break down with the same alarming regularity as the German stuff.

This year we have had no troubles with the combine and it went through the rape with no trouble and we have been working flatout harvesting the wheat and the barley.

We have been doing some very long days trying to get it cut fast, I kept 3 JD 6930's and 0ne 7930 busy carting grain since sunday and we got just over 350 acres of wheat cut and 100 acres of Barley.

That looks like a combine, Edward - just smaller. Is it coal-fired?

We have had a change of heart and will push on with the wheat this evening. The moisture has dropped to a tolerable level.

Your lucky then mate, it has been on and off raining today and we wont be out until late tomorrow aslong as it does not rain again.

Rain? Cutting wheat all day yesterday again, started at 17.3% moisture not sure what it got down to, didn't get time to check.

Did lose 3 hours to a breakdown though.

Looks like it's going to be dry again today so will make a big hole in my harvest by the end of today.

Hope it dries for you all further up the country.

Guy down the road has a 1065 edward, the straw walkers have all just buckled near to one of the bearing mounts. They priced them up at the local dealers. £1200 each, requiring assembly. Phoned the breakers up and got a full set for £18. Apparently they ALL go at that point due to metal fatigue.

Rain? Cutting wheat all day yesterday again, started at 17.3% moisture not sure what it got down to, didn't get time to check.

We got as low as 15.6% last Saturday, and it was hovering at 18-19% last night (although we continued on past midnight). Today's weather looks good. We have an awful lot of wheat to cut, and every drier working at capacity.

Edited by Baldrick

I had no idea JD combines were quite so prevalent in my neck of the woods. I spotted four c670s at work this evening, and God knows how many of those little 'My First Combines' that Edward swears by.

It's a cracking evening for cutting wheat though, and everything arriving in the sheds looks superb.

At last a really good day for combining, moisture down to 13% when I finished todays fields. A move is required tomorrow morning if still dry. I did put the combine under cover tonight, bound to stay dry now.

Just got a fox with the .17 on the stubble behind my house, about 100yds and dropped where I got it.

Crack on while you can chaps, looks like I might miss the rain that is forecast, but it will be coming up country to you I am afraid.

Had a look at my direct drilling neighbours stripper header today, looks like a plague of sparrows has attacked his fields. Hope his drill copes with it or he is going to be in the **** I think.

John Deeres are getting more prevalent again around here too, has it got something to do with the ridiculous cost of the claass combines do you think?

John Deeres are getting more prevalent again around here too, has it got something to do with the ridiculous cost of the claass combines do you think?

Yes, the cost of Claas kit is a major deterrent, so too are the incessant problems with reliability. One of our 580 TTs broke down last night, and is still sitting waiting for the mechanic to attend. Our local JD dealer is making serious in-roads into Claas territory, slowly converting those people that already own JD tractors/loaders/balers, over to JD combines. The dealer's large expenditure on marketing and demonstrations has paid dividends. I've yet to see a JD combine on fire yet, which is more than can be said for the German's offering.

I was on corn bitch duty until 0200h this morning (I did manage to bag a fox whilst enjoying a rare lull). One combine was back in action at dawn, and the other one was bolted back together by 1100h. Moisture has been pretty comparable, with Hagbergs looking good.

I'm sitting in my office as I type this, looking out at a restored 325hp articulated Steiger lugging a Quivogne around the rape stubble. Sitting on duals, it makes our Xerion and Challenger look almost effeminate. However, it's noisy from 1/4 mile away - I dread to think what the driver must have to cope with.

Edward, I haven't yet heard a report of a Lexion burning to a crisp in this part of the world, this summer. It's only a question of time though. We're not experiencing the same problem with dust this year though (which cost us one Lexion and one Vertec grain drier, both written off).