harvesting rape

stuppers

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good pics :good:

Whats the diffrence bettween Starfire iTC and the RTK system? or is RTK just upgraded starfire :lol:

Starfire iTC is a differential GPS system, i.e. it relies on general corrections distributed from a central point. It's accurate enough for most precision farming work, but we upgraded to RTK for maximum precision possible when drilling sugar beet and seed potatoes. RTK uses a portable, tripod-mounted antenna to broadcast ultra-accurate corrections to the GPS signal.

So, yes, RTK is just upgraded Starfire.

Starfire iTC is a differential GPS system, i.e. it relies on general corrections distributed from a central point. It's accurate enough for most precision farming work, but we upgraded to RTK for maximum precision possible when drilling sugar beet and seed potatoes. RTK uses a portable, tripod-mounted antenna to broadcast ultra-accurate corrections to the GPS signal.

So, yes, RTK is just upgraded Starfire.

Gottcha thanks :yes:

getting a bit better than when I did my degree and played with a load sensing silage trailer, even with correction that was within about 10metres :mad: still we made some pretty pictures out of it :yes:

Corrected GPS really is pretty impressive stuff, and something I have a geeky love of (I did my degree thesis on the use of DGPS for ship handling). Things have come a long way in the last decade, in terms of the availability and consistency of GPS (and its upgrades and rival systems). We're going to make a concerted effort to implement controlled-traffic farming on a particular farm (usually cropped with roots, spuds and veg). It's a significant outlay, but done properly, it should pay dividends in the long-term. We've used Starfire in its various guises for some years, along with Yara N-sensors and other such nerdy kit.