Which .243

funky

Hi all :drinks: I have put in for a variation on my F.A.C for a .243 can any of you chaps that shoot centre fire recomend a good rifle.

I quite like the CZ550 American or varmint. as i have a .17 HMR 452 Varmint and can say it is an honest bit of kit and reliable...looking to spend about £1500 with moderator also which scope looking to do some foxing and deer .... Your wisdom will be greatly appreciated :good::hmm: many thanks Funky :lol: :yp:

Edited by funky

I got the CZ 550 American in 243 :good: Its a really nice rifle :hmm: I looked at a Tikka T3 Hunter but it was quite small and the CZ was a bit more built so fitted me better :drinks: I haven't done any serious shooting with it but with a hot barrel after about 25-30 rounds and using Privi Partizan the crappiest ammo you can buy it was grouping about 1-2 inches at 100 yards :lol: Not bad at all :yp:

I tried a few, Remington's, Tikka's, Sako. The action on the Remington I thought was horrible, the Tikka was good but the fit wasnt the best, the Sako was MINT but out of my price range :oops: The CZ fits well, has a nice trigger normally ( AND you can push it forward and get a set trigger, which was nice but be careful as its VERY light ) the action was good and the quality and reputation are very good :yp: Also I managed to get it from old stock before prices went up 20% :yay:

If its the rifle you want mate, go for it :yay:

Depends what you want from a mod, mines not even screw cut atm, Might keep it like that, nice and light :) But I do like those compact mods, cant remember the name, there not much bigger than a SAK and do a good job :)

Scope again depends what you want the rifle for. Foxing ? Stalking ? A S&B 8x56 will do a good job for both, my mate has one :good: I have a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 on mine, its nothing special but it gets the job done :)

Edited by Bigthug87

If you can buy that lot for £1500 - i would like to know where to send the cheque to please.

Mr Nitpicker: If you look at the original post he is asking for a .243 and a moderator, scope is mentioned seperately. I did not mention prices.

looking to spend about £1500 with moderator also which scope looking to do some foxing and deer

ive got a 2nd hand but hardly used Ruger m77 mk2 lined up for when my FAC arrives, ive spoken to several riflesmiths and shooters who all reckon Ruger make superb rifles for the money, has a 1:9 twist as well so should be ok for 100gnrs, Harnser shoots one in 308 and swears by it

mikee

ive got a 2nd hand but hardly used Ruger m77 mk2 lined up for when my FAC arrives, ive spoken to several riflesmiths and shooters who all reckon Ruger make superb rifles for the money, has a 1:9 twist as well so should be ok for 100gnrs, Harnser shoots one in 308 and swears by it

mikee

I had one of these years ago, wouldn't shoot 100 grn into a bucket at 100 yards.

Check this out:

Sako 85 SS Laminate in .243

T8 Moderator.

Swarovski Z6i 2 X 12 X 50

Fine choice but you must also consider the use, the above set up could weigh around 12lb so think about that before you plan to go off stalking, :good:

Fine choice but you must also consider the use, the above set up could weigh around 12lb so think about that before you plan to go off stalking, :)

Yes, I must admit it is pretty heavy, I've not even got a bipod for it yet!

As I only use it for lowland stalking for Roe I'm not too bothered about the weight.

I must admit that i do like the CZ 550 American does anyone know of any reason why i should not buy this rifle :good: i am a bit of a tradisional and like my wood and am impressed with my CZ 452 varmint .17HMR. Your views would be appreciated :yes:

Ive got one and its a good rifle :) if you like it then go for it mate :good:

Thanks for the reply BT87 And Taffy I have reached a point where I feel confused about the whole issue and have realised that i went through the same process when considering a .22LR and the .17HMR. :P

The way i see it at the moment...... is that the .243 round is flat for 200 yards and that most factory rifles can be taken out of a box and will shoot a 1 to 2 inch group at 100yrds. :lol:

aparently i will be taking most of my shots at this range when deer stalking i am reliably informed by my Mentor who i must say knows his stuff due to his job and that he is a ballistics expert for the county and has been shooting as soon as he was able too and owns the local gun shop which was handed to him from his farther.

So does all boils down to what i think looks nice :P

This begs the question what rifle can hit a 6inch target at 800 yards out of the box or can all of them do this?:P?When reading the Sporting Rifle it says win a fabulous Howa then theres the Tikka, Sauer , Mauser Anschuts,and not to mention the CZ Ruger Remmington Sako , Winchester Savage .... :good::good: and the list goes on :o :o and they are all so accurate that you should buy them all lololol AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HELP!!!!!!

The point is that you can't go try them all out and we all have different tastes so maybe the real question should be what .243 wouldn't you buy and why .....

Edited by funky

I really rate the CZ. People put them down as the Skoda of the rifle world but they're good kit. Not at all posh, no engaving, no gold plated trigger. Hardly anything added to what's essential in fact! They shoot well though, and that's what counts.

I really wanted a 6.5x55 CZ550. If they made it with a drop out box mag (they do in .243 etc but the long actions have a drop plate) that's what I'd have bought, but I settled for a Tikka instead. My Hornet is a CZ, my HMR is a CZ, my .223 was a CZ. They're bloody good guns! If you can save a few hundred quid on a rifle you can spend a few more hundred on a scope. The best rifle in the world is useless if you have a cheap scope!

Mod wise I have a Predator 8 over barrel type, that's nice. My latest love though is the Ase Utra S5. That's the one that's not a lot bigger than a SAK, but it works amazingly well. If I get a mod for my .300 that's what I'll be buying, no question! I already have one on my hornet :good:

Edited by njc110381